PDA

View Full Version : Apple patent application for multi-function tablet pen

Artbot
05-25-2012, 12:47 AM
Could this (http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2012/05/apple-sheds-more-light-on-their-ipen-graphics-program.html)be the Cintiq killer that's inevitably coming from someone?

philnolan3d
05-25-2012, 01:17 AM
If this ever comes out it looks crazy expensive, on top of the price of one of their already expensive tablets

Artbot
05-25-2012, 01:39 AM
I agree that Apple's products are overpriced, but what makes you think this item would be expensive? My guess would be a couple hundred dollars, which sounds expensive up front, but if it did all the things it says in the application, the cost of a pen and ipad alone would still be less than half a Cintiq.

I wish it were someone other than Apple doing this, but in truth I'd settle for any good, cheaper solution than a Cintiq.

Dharroun
05-25-2012, 01:42 AM
Sigh...hopefully...

philnolan3d
05-25-2012, 02:17 AM
I just can't imagine I need all of those things. I don't think a speaker or haptic feedback are going to help make my art any better than a normal wacom stylus. Plus using it would mean downgrading to one of the ios devices.

I will just wait for a Windows 8 tablet with a real Wacom stylus. There will be plenty of them you can be sure. Then run Bluestacks on it for apps if it doesn't already duel boot with Android.

f3rry
05-25-2012, 02:47 AM
I just can't imagine I need all of those things.....

I said the same thing about tablets and smartphones until I have one...

philnolan3d
05-25-2012, 04:31 AM
Well you had no evidence that was any good at the time. Just like you have no evidence that this is any good Wacom and smartphones could have turned out horribly, just like many inventions do. I wondered about the Power Glove too, look how that turned out.

Meloncov
05-25-2012, 05:39 AM
The haptic feedback might be useful for painters or sculptors coming from a traditional background, who are used to relying partially on tactile response as a guide.

philnolan3d
05-25-2012, 06:02 AM
Yeah I came from that kind of background too. I don't think a vibration would feel like anything useful. Now different kinds of nibs like Wacom has, that might help.

Meloncov
05-25-2012, 06:40 AM
Yeah I came from that kind of background too. I don't think a vibration would feel like anything useful. Now different kinds of nibs like Wacom has, that might help.

Vibration would be useless, but the (poorly defined) "haptic forces" might be useful. I'm guessing that means the pen would push itself away from the surface it's touching, which might allow for a useful simulation of texture.

philnolan3d
05-25-2012, 07:18 AM
Oh I've never felt that so I'm not sure how it would feel. Usually when I hear haptic it's referring to vibration. Like my phone has haptic feedback for the touch screen keyboard. Meaning it vibrates with every key press.

Artbot
05-25-2012, 04:42 PM
I see the haptic stuff as mostly consumer frills, not anything that would help a serious artist. Mostly I'd like to see accurate levels of pressure and quick response time. If I can set the haptic responses myself, that would be nice. Having a tiny buzz or bump when selecting a tool might be a nice sort of positive feedback, but only if it's user configurable and not some annoying thing you can't turn off.

I think the feature set they outline is more geared toward casual consumers and gamers. Let's face it, if Apple keeps releasing only subtly enhanced ipads, they are probably looking for something to look truly new & different at this point.

mustique
05-25-2012, 05:26 PM
Has the article a typo where it reads "iPenis" instead of "iPen is..." :D

DutchDimension
05-25-2012, 05:46 PM
I see the haptic stuff as mostly consumer frills, not anything that would help a serious artist

If Haptic technology could be made to slightly alter the feel of the drawing surface, to make it feel less like scribbling on glass and more like paper, I'd more than welcome it.

flipnap
05-25-2012, 08:38 PM
on top of the price of one of their already expensive tablets

just putting this here so you dont get ripped off if you ever decide to buy an iPad ;)

samsung galaxy tab 2 16gb = 399 dollars
apple ipad 2 16gb = 399 dollars

philnolan3d
05-25-2012, 09:22 PM
And how much more for the accessories to make it work as well (hardware wise) as the Galaxy Tab?

NanoGator
05-25-2012, 09:45 PM
And how much more for the accessories to make it work as well (hardware wise) as the Galaxy Tab?

.....Zero.

flipnap
05-25-2012, 09:53 PM
whoo boy...

anyway, this pen is cool, but i like the whole blutooth cintiq idea as far as tablets are concerned. any kind of capacitive screen wont cut it. i always liked the idea of a transparent overlay with pressure sensitivity, but nobody makes those and i just gave away my award winning idea :sad:

leigh
05-25-2012, 10:11 PM

Let me guess, you've never actually owned an iPad or even used one, right? And by used, I mean more than sticking your finger on one for 30 seconds in an Apple store, just so you can go onto Twitter or Facebook and post "lol it sucks".

philnolan3d
05-25-2012, 10:22 PM
Let me guess, you've never actually owned an iPad or even used one, right? And by used, I mean more than sticking your finger on one for 30 seconds in an Apple store, just so you can go onto Twitter or Facebook and post "lol it sucks".

I own an iphone. Have used the pad quite a bit. Own a Xoom (which I won) and enjoy it much better.

NanoGator
05-25-2012, 10:25 PM
I own an iphone. Have used the pad quite a bit. Own a Xoom (which I won) and enjoy it much better.

I have both an iPad and a Galaxy Tab and honestly don't have a clue what your comment was about.

philnolan3d
05-25-2012, 10:53 PM
Oh sorry, I see now, Galaxy Tab is missing the HDMI and USB as well, so they both charge extra for what most tablets come with.

flipnap
05-25-2012, 11:13 PM
i stream video and data from my ipad, never needed to spend money on hdmi cables or USB cables so i dont know how much all those wires cost. maybe try googling or calling your local store.

lets go Devils!

leigh
05-25-2012, 11:18 PM

I asked you about iPads, not iPhones, so I don't know why you thought it relevant to mention. How much, exactly, have you used an iPad? Have you actually owned one for any length of time? I've never heard of Xoom, but I thought you were talking about the Galaxy Tab? Why talk about something else now?

As for USB and HDMI, neither is necessary.

philnolan3d
05-26-2012, 12:01 AM
Flipnap started talking about galaxy tab. I presumed all Android tablets were relevant. Motorola Xoom is one of the most popular, granted it's a year old now and has been updated as the Xyboard. Leigh, yes you asked about ipads. The phone is essentially the same thing only bigger (you can't claim otherwise). The amount of time I've spent with it doesn't change what hardware it has or doesn't have.

leigh
05-26-2012, 12:33 AM
If we are talking about the iPad's functionality as a tablet, then the comparison to an iPhone is irrelevant in the sense that the iPhone simply isn't big enough to have any practical use as a tablet device. The two devices may share many common software functions and apps, but in terms of hardware capability they're quite different. And I'm not talking about things like hardware connectivity, but rather with regards to performance.

Honestly, I get the feeling you're just posting for the sake of hating on Apple, as I'm pretty sure I've seen you doing before in other Apple threads. Don't like Apple? Cool, then don't buy their products. I've never really gotten my head around why people who neither like nor use Apple products insist on posting repeatedly about them.

philnolan3d
05-26-2012, 12:56 AM
I had started a nice conversation about the usefulness vs. expense of the device. Flipnap started the price comparisons business. I even apologized for the mistake I made.

NanoGator
05-26-2012, 01:04 AM
I had started a nice conversation about the usefulness vs. expense of the device. Flipnap started the price comparisons business. I even apologized for the mistake I made.

You skipped over the flippant remark you made that reeked of Slashdot poisoning. I think what Leigh's trying to say is "settle down, we don't need the flamebait."

philnolan3d
05-26-2012, 01:16 AM
OK I don't know about remarks, all I was trying to say was that the device looks expensive on top of the cost of an ipad.

DutchDimension
05-26-2012, 01:28 AM
There is no device. There is no price. There is only a patent application. Spare us your spin please.

NanoGator
05-26-2012, 01:50 AM
OK I don't know about remarks, all I was trying to say was that the device looks expensive on top of the cost of an ipad.

The way you said that, though, was to say that an iPad was more expensive than a Tab. Do you understand now?

I promise I'm not trying to 'win' here, or even give you grief, I'm just trying to get you to see what happened. It's not a fanboy dog-pile even though it sorta looks like it.

05-26-2012, 02:35 AM
you know this is the kind of idea that makes me feel "meh, why would i need that useless idea?"

but i also said that on iPhone even when apple presented it on wwdc, so i'll just sit tight and lets see how it goes. :shrug:

NanoGator
05-26-2012, 03:06 AM
you know this is the kind of idea that makes me feel "meh, why would i need that useless idea?"

but i also said that on iPhone even when apple presented it on wwdc, so i'll just sit tight and lets see how it goes. :shrug:

I would *Love* a stylus for my iPad. But the hardware doesn't support it. The idea that they can make a nice one that works with existing hardware is great and they found a neat way to do it. As for the other bells and whistles? Eh, I agree I'm not ready to shove my money in the face of an Apple store employee, but sure I'd like to try it.

conbom
05-26-2012, 03:37 AM
I can see the keynote now, new upgraded iPad in hand will go over the new features one of which will be support for a real OS and Photoshop, at the very end he will pull a pen out his shirt pocket transforming the iPad from a 400 paperweight into a useful content creation device. It will be glorious day for technology!

blank
05-26-2012, 03:27 PM
I'm currently without a tablet device but the thought of being able to sit down on a sofa and stream ZBrush or Photoshop onto tablet from my workstation appeals to me.

As for the sound and haptic feedback, while I dont see a need for it there is no harm in getting a patent for it as when/if that sort of tech ever becomes mainstream you know whos going to be getting the royalties.

The west doesn't do as much manufacturing anymore its becoming IP based, just look at ARM as an example.

madheavy
05-27-2012, 08:52 AM
The last stylus patent we saw from Apple didn't look all that exciting, but this one does! I had an iPad (3rd Gen) for a few days, then took it back and bought a Samsung 7 Slate. If Apple creates an iPad with an active digitizer like this patent shows, Wow! Millions of artists and pretenders alike (i.e. me) will be estatic.

I guess it'll cost the price of an ipad plus 100 extra dollars.

BigPixolin
05-27-2012, 07:26 PM
It looks interesting for streaming to the tablet from the workstation. Not for actually working on a ipad app. I could do without the speaker and haptic feedback, sounds like useless consumer level added weight. If the pen is much heavier than a Wacom since it also includes a battery then I just can't be interested.

CGTalk Moderation
05-27-2012, 07:26 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.