PDA

View Full Version : WIP - FXWARS 35 - Cyberone

Cyberone
05-24-2012, 11:26 PM
Going to enter this one. Just hope I have the time to finish :)

I will be using maya (maybe Houdini if I need to..) , mental ray and nuke.

My general Idea is two block robot armies clashing together and smashing each other apart.

Will be using kinect to mocap some animations then try the various methods available in maya the smash them apart :)

Im going to model my own "lego/brick" pieces too which is what I will do first.

should be fun :)

Cyberone
05-29-2012, 12:35 AM
I have been playing around seeing what will be the best way to simulate what I want to do...
Trying:
maya RB - can work pretty well but very varied results. but It can work fairly well.

PhysX: cool and fast. had not used it before but got some pretty cool resutls...the baking part is a bit buggy (always fairly different results from the sim when baked out...)

Ill try some others later in the week.

having alot of fun though. will try to make some vids of test sims soon.

Cyberone
05-30-2012, 05:31 AM
super quick test I did before work this morning...
just seeing what it will look like with lots of guys being blown apart.
didnt really tweak the sim at all. more of just a style test

its one sim duplicated on all of the guys.
they guys would be running at each other and shooting their lego guns...
also want to make two mega robots attacking each other.
next step will be to make the proper lego army guys and rig/animate them.

Okie-Ozolinsh
05-31-2012, 08:10 AM
looking good :)

you should let some of those bricks stick together since we all know how tight they sometimes are - have to get a knife or simething like that to take them apart :)

Cyberone
05-31-2012, 10:37 PM
looking good :)

you should let some of those bricks stick together since we all know how tight they sometimes are - have to get a knife or simething like that to take them apart :)

cheers.
yeah I have a good way to do this...I will try it this morning.

here is another very quick proof of concept. bad animation but its just a mini test to see if its going to work. :)

PexElroy
05-31-2012, 11:27 PM
great smash test - looks promising :thumbsup:

pyroskat
06-01-2012, 08:28 AM
Good! Just 2 frames before the impact it seems that some bricks go smaller. But good!

Cyberone
06-03-2012, 10:57 PM
Good! Just 2 frames before the impact it seems that some bricks go smaller. But good!

yeah its the rotations freaking out between being parented to a rig and turning to dynamic combined with the motion blur...

fandalis
06-04-2012, 01:57 PM
looking good!

Cyberone
06-05-2012, 01:05 AM
I just made myself a lego terrain builder where I can sculpt a basic poly terrain and then convert it to lego blocks.

was amazed how well it actually worked!

will try to have a render up later today (If I get some free time during lunch)

WyattHarris
06-05-2012, 03:19 AM
Sounds cool. Can't wait to see it.

Cyberone
06-05-2012, 05:15 AM
very quick lunch time test...no tweaking or fancy coding yet so I hope I can get it to look a bit better if I spend half a day or so on it...

from this poly plane:
http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab359/cybertwo/lego_1.png

to this:
http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab359/cybertwo/lego_2.png

and a colorful one:
http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab359/cybertwo/lego_3.png

pretty fun :)

Wirginia
06-08-2012, 06:36 AM
That looks like fun! Cool idea.

Cyberone
06-14-2012, 02:02 AM
had some computer problem but built a new comp so back in action today!

PexElroy
06-17-2012, 10:16 PM
Looks cool - what was your process to those cube bricks to your landscape ?

Cyberone
06-19-2012, 12:13 AM
Looks cool - what was your process to those cube bricks to your landscape ?

Basically it just places a particle on each vertex then instances a poly block at that point.

I havnt had much free time recently but I did manage to get it to the point where you could paint a basic colour map on the poly then depending on what the texture is it will place a different block at that point.

So had it where you could paint for example a river in the texture and it would place clear blue blocks along a blue texture line. or paint trees or whatever...

I might have to change my general idea of the two armies to something simpler because I just dont have enough time at the moment. but I want to keep building un the landscape thing because its fun :)

bought some lego last weeken and have been havin alot of fun playing with that too...

Cyberone
06-24-2012, 04:10 AM
so this weeked I made and rigged a little robot...

If i get time I might make a bigger one to...
but this one is ready to animate and explode :)

http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab359/cybertwo/robot_pose.jpg

Cyberone
06-24-2012, 10:25 PM
Another quick test. will need to texture him to give him a face and maybe some camo army clothes...

http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab359/cybertwo/lego_man_post.jpg

Basically Im changing my original idea a little.
so the little Lego me see an army of Lego robots coming up a valley.

A scout gives a signal then they something into the valley that blows up the robots and thats pretty much it.

Cyberone
06-25-2012, 10:35 PM
my little lego man :)

http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab359/cybertwo/legoman.png

Cyberone
07-04-2012, 12:13 AM
another quick test this morning...

its just my first shot...still got alot to do so no drinking or Diablo this weekend...hehehe

and another test render from this shot...

http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab359/cybertwo/lego_head_crush.png

Cyberone
07-09-2012, 12:17 AM
here is another still.

http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab359/cybertwo/FX_wars_robots.jpg

So far I have now rendered the first 5 shots and done a quick slap comp...

most of the dynamics happen in the final shots which I am still to finish and render...
the clock is ticking...

WyattHarris
07-09-2012, 08:34 PM
Slick, I like it.

most of the dynamics happen in the final shots which I am still to finish and render...
the clock is ticking...
I'm right there with you. Working on all of the first shots which don't have any dynamics at all. The meat and potatoes are at the end.

Cyberone
07-12-2012, 11:40 PM
ok Ive done one of the bigger dynamic shots where the robots get shot up abd explode/break apart...still need to tweak it a little before I render...

this morning I set up my render passes for my close up shots and did a bit of a comp test.
very happy with the results:

http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab359/cybertwo/lego_comp_test.png

Still a bit to do over the weekend...
I am thinking of one final mega scene where a plane flys over and drops a mini lego nuke on the endless wave of robots...see if I can pull that off one day...lol

having alot of fun with this :)

manja
07-13-2012, 12:14 AM
nice! no reflection in the binoculars?

Cyberone
07-13-2012, 12:28 AM
nice! no reflection in the binoculars?

you are the second person that has said that to me this morning...lol

My thinking was that its really just lego...
the lego binoculars are just one bit of plastic..I might give making where it would be glass reflective and see how it looks...prob a "b" fix though...

Cyberone
07-14-2012, 12:56 PM
lego nuke test for the very last shot....
Its basically a nuke made in maya fluids very similar to the example one. then converted to polys then cubes (will change them to lego bits...) instanced onto the vertex each frame...
it came out pretty nice :) hope I now have time to tweak it and make it look pretty for render...

gonna be very tight on the render times.
Had alot of problems with a rigid body sim that I had been working on all week of the robots exploding....alot of trouble...
but got there in the end :)

Good luck everyone on the final stretch

manja
07-14-2012, 02:54 PM
nice. did you use the Soup dynArray node for the nuke?

Cyberone
07-14-2012, 03:41 PM
nice. did you use the Soup dynArray node for the nuke?

nope.

Just maya fluids and a bit of python...
Im trying to get more into writing my own tools as much as I can recently :)

PexElroy
07-14-2012, 03:55 PM
Nice work - and your brick nuke is very cool !

manja
07-14-2012, 05:41 PM
yes, i did write something in mel script too, then a friend of mine reminded me of the soup plugin, which is way faster than mel script!

http://www.soup-dev.com/examples2_8.htm

i know it's too late now, but later maybe you'll have use of this.

WyattHarris
07-14-2012, 07:25 PM
That is really cool. I definitely need to get more into Python.

Cyberone
07-15-2012, 01:01 PM
up loading my final video to VIMEO now...
was a very long day putting all the final renders together...

Going to sleep. Ill post them up in the morning before I go to work.

Cyberone
07-15-2012, 10:27 PM
Here is my final entry:

Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2-lANXj4N0

Vimeo:
https://vimeo.com/45781911

I used:
Maya: Stock Maya dynamics (particles, rigid bodies and fluids) Rigging, animation and Modeling.
Mental Ray: all rendering
After effects: Comp and putting the final video together with sound.
Photoshop: Some texture work.
Nuke: some comp.
Lego Digital Designer: Making the Lego objects (but I also made some of my own...).
LeoCAD: Converting the LDD filrd to either OBJ or 3DS files.(Sometimes had to use 3DS file format to export to because for some reason LeoCAD screwed up alot of my OBJs)
Blender: Convert 3DS to OBJ.

Basically I worked on the project about one hour every morning before work from the very start of the challenge with a bit of a cram over the last weekedn to pump out the final renders and comp.

manja
07-15-2012, 11:10 PM
cool! like the graphic style of the sparks and muzzle flash! :)

Cyberone
07-17-2012, 12:08 AM
cool! like the graphic style of the sparks and muzzle flash! :)

Cheers.

The muzzle flashes/mini explosions are actually made of lego bushes/plants.

and the jet exhaust ate the cylinder lego pieces. :)

I wanted to make everything 100% with lego pieces :)

Bob-Lopes
07-17-2012, 03:36 AM
Great work! I liked the expressions of the characters and the final explosion.

Cheers :thumbsup:

Cyberone
07-18-2012, 12:28 AM
Great work! I liked the expressions of the characters and the final explosion.

Cheers :thumbsup:

the final explosion was a bit of a rush...I think I might continue towork on it in my free time because I really like where the result is heading...

manja
07-18-2012, 12:34 AM
we should try emiting the bricks from the begining of the explosion and make them inherit the smoke velocity. easy to do, but the hard part is that the bricks mustn't penetrate each other!

Cyberone
07-18-2012, 01:23 AM
we should try emiting the bricks from the begining of the explosion and make them inherit the smoke velocity. easy to do, but the hard part is that the bricks mustn't penetrate each other!

yeah I have figured out a way to do this.

Basically what I was doing before was instancing my blocks from a maya fluids output mesh vertex and updating on a per frame basis. this can make some of the blocks overlap...

a better way to do it would be to get the fluid voxel data (per voxel) and then make it emit a block at the voxel point based on a fluid perameter such as density. this should make it work as a grid and have no overlap.
you can then also use the voxel color/temp to drive stuff or pick a different block based on voxel colour or temp.

I started playing with this before work this morning...

there are pros and cons for both ways.

more control with the second method but the first method is very fast...

as for using soup, I have seen/used it before and could achieve the same thing pretty easily but I wanted to make my own tool from scratch as more of a learning process which has been great for me on this little project... :)

manja
07-18-2012, 09:03 AM
a better way to do it would be to get the fluid voxel data (per voxel) and then make it emit a block at the voxel point based on a fluid perameter such as density.

yep, that's what i did, but that's very heavy.
at first i used the fluidVoxelInfo in the runtime expression of the particles, then i used the soup to store the density info.
i'll try with nParticles and self collide, maybe it's just as simple as that!

CGTalk Moderation
07-18-2012, 09:03 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.