PDA

View Full Version : WIP : LowPoly Man : 50% Done

Psy
11-24-2003, 05:07 PM
Done more for a class animation assignment, but it's def game style art so here it is. :)
Lots to do, but pretty good for only 2 hours. crits and comments?
http://www.3dmaxedout.com/lowpoly_man.jpg
Polymodelled in 3dsmax5.1

Supervlieg
11-24-2003, 11:06 PM
Hard to give any real crits at this point, but try losing some poly's on the torso.

Kroax
11-24-2003, 11:17 PM
thats strange...i would ALWAYS start with the character's head.

looks nice but supervlieg is right - its hard to really criticize or praise the model at this point :)

Tim Mews
11-25-2003, 03:51 AM
I would agree with the guys above but to add that you would be wise to block the whole thing out so you get a feel for the form of the whole thing fisrt. I always get it to a model to a stage where it is really boxy but it gives me the overall shape I then go in and fine tune.

Two hours is pretty good. :)

Tim

erik2003
11-25-2003, 09:22 AM
I agree with the above. There are very many polies in there for the stage the model is in. Remember that every poly you add is more vertices to tweak and if you have as many as this large modifications of the shape become time consuming... I always try to keep as few polies as possible until the shape is there. Sometimes i add a number and then remove others in the process when i find that there are too many vertices. Every edge should define the silhouette of the shape at this point, seen from any angle the silhouette must be correct with as few vertices as possible.

But the shape looks ok, and it can become a good model!

Erik

Psy
11-27-2003, 12:54 AM
Thanks for the comments, I'll try and work them into the model the next chance I get to work on it. It's currently at 924 faces.

My big question to all of you is this: Do you feel that the head is proportionate to the body or no?

http://www.reaperfields.com/stuff/images/lowpoly_man2.jpg

Tim Mews
11-27-2003, 01:09 AM
Tricky question. I think that it doesn't look wrong but it depends on the character. If the design is less life like then ok but if it's based on an average man size then I think it is too big, not by much. If I remember correctly seven to eight heads fit into the body.

I have an excellent image for reference if you want me to mail it to you.

Tim

Dargon
11-27-2003, 01:31 AM
Realistic human proportion is between 6-7 heads (there is really more variation than that, it's nature after all, big with mutations)

Idealised humad proportions is 7.5 - 8 heads. (Idealised meaning exaggerated beyond realism to make a more pleasing figure)

Fashion Illustration is often anywhere from 9-14 heads.

I think the head size fits well right now, but the neck seems a bit on the short size.

Everyone works differently, but there are 2 things that really help as far as proportion goes.

1. Get or create reference. Make a side and front view, they can be rough, and put them in your modeling pacage as reference. Trace from the front an side as you go, and you'll have great proportion very easily.

2. Block in the whole figure. It's difficult to tell if the head is right, without the shoulders, difficult to tell the length of the torso without seeing the lenght of the arms and legs.

I always work this way, and including the time spent doing the reference, can get a character blocked in about half an hour.

Good work so far, but I think you've put a few too many polys, particularily in the stomach, for being at the stage you are. Do you have a concept sketch? Knowing what you're modeling can help the process a lot!

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.