PDA

View Full Version : cycles

whom
05-22-2012, 08:59 PM
cycles feels slower in the latest version.... the same for you guys?

hvanderwegen
06-04-2012, 09:32 PM
Hard to answer your question without knowing your system tech, OS, and the version you are using. And are you using cpu or gpu? To get an answer, provide more info.

If you are on windows, make absolutely certain to download a MinGW compiled build from Graphicall - render times are cut in half if you do. My favourite build is currently Bat3a's build.

http://www.graphicall.org/windows

(look for bat3a, either 32bit or 64bit depending on your OS)

whom
06-04-2012, 10:34 PM
Yea you are right, mostly I just wanted to get the question outthere to see if it was a common problem at the time. It has been better on my system since then though so maybe it was a temporary glitch.
Appreciate the answer, thanks. :)

Amphitrite
06-06-2012, 04:55 AM
Did you switched from CPU to GPU? I get faster results with CUDA enabled and at 200 samples preview.

whom
06-06-2012, 06:58 PM
Did you switched from CPU to GPU? I get faster results with CUDA enabled and at 200 samples preview.

Where do I change this?

Baltazaar
06-17-2012, 10:57 PM
If you use the Windows version, try the MinGW compiled build from Graphicall.Org (http://www.graphicall.org)

I've heard people brag about the performance they get on Cycles CPU rendering using this build... Who knows...

Personally I use the latest build from http://builder.blender.org/
It works great! Not slow at all.
:beer:

whom
06-20-2012, 08:12 PM
Does anyone know how I change to GPU?

Baltazaar, appreciate it thanks, I don't use the builds just the official ones. I actually think that they are upgrading too fast these days on blender.... I would rather have stable builds less often.....

ChukChuk
06-20-2012, 08:25 PM
Do you mean change which GPU it is using (if you have multiple GPUs) or change it so that cycles uses GPU instead of CPU?

whom
06-20-2012, 08:49 PM
Do you mean change which GPU it is using (if you have multiple GPUs) or change it so that cycles uses GPU instead of CPU?

Yes GPU instead of CPU.....

ChukChuk
06-20-2012, 09:20 PM
Go to the render panel. At the top under the render image and animation button it will allow you to switch between CPU and CPU compute. What graphics card do you have?

whom
06-20-2012, 09:32 PM
Go to the render panel. At the top under the render image and animation button it will allow you to switch between CPU and CPU compute. What graphics card do you have?

I don't have those options, does that mean that I cannot switch to GPU? Under Image and Animation I onle have Feature S and there I can choose between Supported or Experimental....
I have a "ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4600 Series" on a laptop with 4 GB Ram. Thank you for your help, appreciate it. :)

hvanderwegen
06-21-2012, 06:12 AM
Yours is a two-part problem:
1) only AMD/ATI cards from 5xxx and up support OpenCL GPU based calculations in the drivers;
2) at this point Cycles *does not* work with the AMD GPU OpenCL drivers.

The latter may have something to do with the fact that AMD's OpenCL implementation focuses on small calculation kernels, while Cycles' Kernel is huge in comparison. Some people have been successful compiling the kernel in Blender 2.62, and than 'transplanting' it manually (copying) into 2.63 - but even then only a small subset of rendering features are supported. To repeat: Cycles does not support GPU OpenCL acceleration in AMD GPUs (at this time - the devs are working together with AMD to try to resolve this). It may take more than a couple of months before it does. No-one knows exactly.

And: you should *really* download a MinGW compiled build of Blender from Graphicall - because if you do not, you are doing yourself a big disservice: on my machine (i7 920@3.6ghz, 48gb, AMD 7970) CPU based Cycles rendering times are cut in more than half !!! This is a known problem with the official builds, and any other build not compiled in MinGW: a MS visual C++ compiled one is much, much slower rendering with Cycles. So far, anyone switching to a MinGW build experienced render sped-ups of at least 30~40%. As if you just installed a new CPU in your machine - that is how it feels like.

What is more: download one of Bat3a's MinGW builds for Windows, which include a select occlusion patch that fixes selection lags in Blender for ATI/AMD cards. This is also not available in the official trunk, but is essential for heavier scenes. Without this I would have gone insane.

PS the very latest build of Bat3a does not include the patch (it was out of date) - so wait for one or two days, and the latest MinGW Bat3a build should be available. It really is worth it. (and this build includes all plugins/add-ons known to man as well :-P )

I don't have those options, does that mean that I cannot switch to GPU? Under Image and Animation I onle have Feature S and there I can choose between Supported or Experimental....
I have a "ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4600 Series" on a laptop with 4 GB Ram. Thank you for your help, appreciate it. :)

whom
06-21-2012, 10:19 AM
hvanderwegen, aha that explains it, I appreciate your help. Maybe this explains why I noticed the sudden slowing down of cycles too since the 2.62 build... Thanks again. :)

CGTalk Moderation
06-21-2012, 10:19 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.