PDA

View Full Version : How to connect bump info to DGS?

joie
11-24-2003, 10:36 AM
Hi there!

I wish to know if itīs possible (it must be) to connect some bump info to DGS Material, I want some glossy reflection but with a wodden floor so, I want the reflection bumped.

And I donīt want to use reflection utility, I want to use DGS shader.

Any advices?

Atwooki
11-24-2003, 10:49 AM
Put either a:

mib_passthrough_bump_map

or a:

mib_bump_basis

in your 'dgs's diffuse,glossy or specular input... ;)

Atwooki

joie
11-24-2003, 11:44 AM
Yes, youīre right, but I have one more question, how the hell do you tell mib_passthrough_bump_map the texture to be used?, I canīt write anything that MR understands like "C:\MyDocuments\picture.jpg", how do you do it?

Thankīs in advance!

:)

brunner
11-24-2003, 01:08 PM
create a new custom file node (e.g. file1) and put "file1" there.
But you have to connect the mib_bump_basis TO the mib_passthrough_bump_map, and this one to your shader.

sebast1an2
11-24-2003, 01:25 PM
can you tell us the difference between

mib_passthrough_bump_map

and

mib_bump_basis

???

thx

brunner
11-24-2003, 03:02 PM
I don't fully understand the theoretical aspects of this, but the bump_basis, well, provides the basis for the bump map :)

from the docs:
bump_basis
"Given the intersection point, compute a pair of bump basis vectors, based on the projection method "

mib_bump_map:
"Apply a texture to the normal vector by evaluating the texture at multiple points to compute U and V gradients that are multiplied with the basis vectors"

So i think it's like this: for each point of the surface bump_basis generates a pair of vectors, which get multiplied with the vectors generated by the bump map. If there is no bump basis, the bump vectors get multiplied by 0, so no bump.

I really really suck at theory though, so if anyone has a better explanation, please do.

And in case you were wondering, mib_passthrough_bump_map is the same as mib_bump_map, only that the former can be used as input of diffuse,specular or glossy, while the bump_map cannot. I think :hmm:

ugh, my head hurts.. :wise: :argh:

joie
11-25-2003, 09:21 AM
May be Iīm a bit dummie, but I canīt point to my texture, I type "file1" and file1 or whatever and MR doesnīt find it, Do I need to define itīs path or something else in order to find this file?

If you have any success within these terms it would very kind of you if you could put a screen grab of your shader network here.

Thankīs in advance.

Digidim
11-25-2003, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by brunner
create a new custom file node (e.g. file1) and put "file1" there...

OK...step by step:

1.) ...got to your MR Render Globals
2.) ...rollout Custom Entities
3.) ...rollout Custom Textures
4.) ...hit Create Button

...now a new file node is created you can find in Hypershade. :thumbsup:

joie
11-25-2003, 10:36 AM
AAAAAH!

Thank you Digidim!

I was using the typical File texture created through hypershade, itīs logical I couldnīt render!

:D

Thankīs for you ready-to-use explanation!

joie
11-25-2003, 11:45 AM
Hi;

Now I can put an image on a surface, but I canīt put bump info, where must I connect it?, if I connect mib_passthrough_bump_map to DGS glossy or specular color it doesnīt work, neither the displacement of the shader so..., where must I connect it?

Atwooki
11-25-2003, 10:31 PM
Here are a few 'visual guidelines for bump creation:
(I've included Mark Davies' 'Sub Scatter node', but you needn't include it)

The hyperShade:
http://www.custom3d.co.uk/bump_files/bump_shade.jpg

Some window attributes:
http://www.custom3d.co.uk/bump_files/mr_skin2.jpg

and a render:
http://www.custom3d.co.uk/bump_files/skinrender.jpg

cheers :)

Atwooki

Emmortal1
11-25-2003, 11:30 PM
At: Would it be too much trouble to ask for you to show the connections between the nodes? Such as the out and in values for each connection? That would clear things up quite a bit. Thanks!

Emmortal

Atwooki
11-26-2003, 12:09 AM
Sorry, forgot about that! Here yer go:

First:
'Suppress all Maya shaders' (SG node)

mib_illum_cooktorr1 (Ambience) ---> mr_subScatter1
mib_illum_cooktorr1 (Diffuse) ---> mib_color_interpolate2

mib_color_interpolate2 - (Color_0) ---> marble1

mib_color_interpolate2 - (Color_1) ---> mib_passthrough_bump_map1 ---> U ---> mib_bump_basis1
mib_passthrough_bump_map1 ---> V ---> mib_bump_basis1
mib_passthrough_bump_map1 ---> Coord ---> mib_texture_vector1
mib_passthrough_bump_map1 ---> tex ---> file1

To increase/decrease the 'bumpiness', play with the 'Factor' values (+ or -) in the 'mib_passthrough_bump' node

Hope that's OK ;)

Atwooki

joie
12-02-2003, 12:34 PM
I have one more question;

The way to connect a light to DGS is to connect lightShape.message to DGS.Lights, this is OK, but it doesnīt work with MR Area lights, when you turn a spotlight (or anyone), MR create another node for it but whenever I connect both of them or either one or another it doesnīt render at all!

Wich one must I connect or what I am doing wrong?

Thankīs in advance.

sebast1an2
12-02-2003, 02:01 PM
hi, i have a question too..

what is the reason to connecting a light do a dgs shader???:hmm:

Jackdeth
12-03-2003, 06:14 AM
Maya's crappy intergration of MR is the reason for needing to connect a light. By default, all shaders need a light linked to them. As far as I understand, they could simply set the default to use all lights and then you wouldn't have to worry about that.

Anyone correct me if I worng....

sebast1an2
12-03-2003, 06:53 AM
hmm.. i have rendered a lot of custom materials without connecting any light to it... :shrug:

Jackdeth
12-03-2003, 06:58 AM
hmmm, I haven't used any custom shaders that much since we upgraded to 5.01..... maybe it was a 4.5 bug then?

But I did play with a simple DSG tonight and it needed a light linked to it to see the diffusion. Wierd....

I know some shaders have the "mode" input that is either 0,1,2. Thoese are different types of linking modes.

sebast1an2
12-03-2003, 07:50 AM
yes, that could be true. i havn't tested the custom shader before
the 5.01 update.. which material do you want to get with dgs? maybe i could help you..

joie
12-09-2003, 10:08 AM
What about this quiestion?

"I have one more question;

The way to connect a light to DGS is to connect lightShape.message to DGS.Lights, this is OK, but it doesnīt work with MR Area lights, when you turn a spotlight (or anyone), MR create another node for it but whenever I connect both of them or either one or another it doesnīt render at all!

Wich one must I connect or what I am doing wrong?

Thankīs in advance."

Atwooki
12-09-2003, 10:25 AM
joie:
Kai has posted some further useful attribute connections, and a very good tutorial here:

http://www.highend3d.com/boards/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=MayaMR&Number=166385&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=

Atwooki

freshNfunky
01-12-2005, 12:05 PM
it's quite informative.

but i would think attaching the scene wouldn't be bad (in case it's not very large, what i don't think)

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.