PDA

View Full Version : AMD or nVidia for 3D Rendering? Need Advice

HiTekJeff
05-17-2012, 01:41 PM
At this time, I am looking to build a new system that will either be an i7 3960X or 2 Xeon 8 core CPUs (depending on budget). The software I use are: Maya, Vue Infinite, ZBrush and C4D. Most of them recommend nVidia due to their "CUDA" core support, but was not sure of that any more. Also, I know the Quadro 5800 or 6000 cards would be the absolute best, but those will most likely be out of my price range.

So, I was wondering what is best for those out there using software like this? AMD or nVidia and if I should get a 680 (duel SLI) or 690 card? Also, I was told the new nVidia cards, while they have "CUDA" support that is very good, really are no longer good for 3D programs like the ones I use due to them being poor on 3D benchmarks that have been done. They say they are limited on purpose and pushing the Quadro cards instead and only get them if you want to game. Is this true or is CUDA and 3D rendering still very good with the 680/690? I was told AMD Radeon 7970 cards do not have the same issues and score higher in the benchmarks. However, they do not have "CUDA" support obviously, which I really need I think.

Thanks for any advice and help.

DuttyFoot
05-17-2012, 04:30 PM
from what has been said on here many times sli does nothing for 3d work. for right now only games benefit from an sli setup. if you want a cheaper and just as powerful option you can try the gtx 670 instead of the 680 or 690. i haven't used ati cards that much at all for any design work so someone else will have to give you advice on those cards. there are many people out there who use the geforce cards over the quadros for 3d work.

CGTalk Moderation
05-17-2012, 04:30 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.