PDA

View Full Version : Do You Use C++ At Work?

MF3dream
05-17-2012, 02:27 PM
Hello everyone, I have a question specifically from professionals who are currently
working as a "Lighting TD" in productions.
I have a mid level python knowledge and I'm trying to develop it further, cause I already know that it can speed things up, but just wondering if its necessary to learn C++ Or not?
I don't have any idea what I can do with C++ as a lighting Artist!
For example writing shaders needs even more Geek power, I mean physics, mathematics etc.
Developing pipeline tools, I don't think it'll be a part of my job.
And I think what I should really focus on is the lighting itself; and traditional arts.

Could some of you please help me to find the correct direction?
Thanks in advance.

Bitter
05-17-2012, 04:03 PM
I just installed Visual Studio Express today actually.

To write a shader you may need some of the more advanced 'geekiness' but to be honest, a lot of the things you might write won't require it. And a lot of the advanced functions that require a PhD in physics are already existing as something you can call to do the job for you.

earlyworm
05-18-2012, 12:21 PM
Not really that useful for the artist aspect of lighting. If your looking to write tools to help the lighting process then c++ is likely to come in handy.

Depending on what renderer your using, it also might come in handy for writing mental ray & vray shaders. If your using PRMan or 3Delight then it can come in handy for writing RiFilters, RSL plugins and procedural plugins.

MF3dream
05-19-2012, 09:15 AM
Thank you 'Bitter' for your help. Overall I think its a good idea to learn cpp as my side arm!

Originally posted by 'earlyworm':
Depending on what renderer your using, it also might come in handy for writing mental ray & vray shaders. If your using PRMan or 3Delight then it can come in handy for writing RiFilters, RSL plugins and procedural plugins.

Thank you too 'earlyworm'. So you want to say that its going to be a part of the job of a lighting TD or lighting supervisor?

earlyworm
05-20-2012, 05:08 PM
Because a lot of companies refer to their Lighting Artists as Lighting TDs it's kind of hard to make a distinction between someone who just lights/renders versus someone who writes tools (code, scripts, etc) going by just their job title. Often studios add "pipeline" to the job title in order to describe a job that is creating tools for a particular department.

If your looking to just be a Lighting Artist (https://careers.disneyanimation.com/job_groups/job_description?id=185) then I'd consider it a bonus skill rather than a required one.

If your looking to be a Lighting Pipeline TD (https://careers.disneyanimation.com/job_groups/job_description?id=84) then it's a required skill.

*Using the Disney job descriptions only as examples of Lighting Artist vs Lighting Pipeline TD.

MF3dream
05-21-2012, 07:47 AM
Thanks for the links, Disney is the first studio I've seen that doesn't listed scripting (not cpp) for lighting artists as a required skill. Other studios doesn't have a thing such as
"Lighting Pipeline TD", just "Pipeline TDs"....
OK, everything is now clear to me :thumbsup:

earlyworm
05-21-2012, 01:02 PM
A few big studios do have department specific Pipeline TDs.

MF3dream
05-22-2012, 10:15 AM
'earlyworm' you have a great and very informative website which is in my favorites now!

CGTalk Moderation
05-22-2012, 10:15 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.