PDA

View Full Version : Dodge Durango, Nek11man (3D)

nek11man
11-24-2003, 05:49 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/15951/Dodge_durango_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/15951/Dodge_durango.jpg)

My latest work

:p :p

chalkeye
11-24-2003, 06:22 AM
its beeaaaauuutifuuulll.

i love it man. what package?

wire?

bigbad
11-24-2003, 06:30 AM
Awesome. You should post it as a picture.

smoke
11-24-2003, 01:56 PM
Looks great!!
Got any other views and a wire-frame?

EdHarriss
11-24-2003, 04:18 PM
Nice job nek11man. I really like the way you've colored the image to look like a magazine ad/photo. Overall I think that it looks great! I would suggest that you workout a way to keep the headlight on the lefthand side of the image from looking so flat. (I guess it is a texture map?) Also, the sky looks like it is a little too close to the SUV. Regardless, it is a great piece of work.

Garma
11-24-2003, 04:29 PM
I usually don't reply to car threads since it's nothing for me, but I like this car :p and the mood you set, so that's why I'd like to compliment you with this piece :thumbsup:

Mouser
11-24-2003, 04:30 PM
I like the backdrop.. it may be a little close to the car as ed pointed out, but I think it isn't sky, but a painted wall (that's what you were going for ? I can see textured brushstrokes over the right side headlight.

one other thing.. isn't it Dodge Durango vs. Durnago? not sure if you spelled that correctly (not trying to be picky)

great model

JasonA
11-24-2003, 04:36 PM
The color composition is pretty cool, I like the dark blue shades in the image. I agree with Ed that its really an excellent 'car ad' type image. The composition is perfect for a magazine add. And of course, the Durango model is excellent, sweet modeling work :)

My only crits would be that the image is a bit too dark for my tastes, especially around the bottom of the vehicle. Also, the image seems too blurred for print.

But this aside, it defintely rocks:buttrock:

PJC
11-24-2003, 04:37 PM
Is this handbuilt?

- pjc

Sceme
11-24-2003, 04:38 PM
for my taste...it's abit blurry...all over, i don't know. i love the car and all, but that blur thing keeps bothering me.

wgreenlee1
11-24-2003, 04:40 PM
:thumbsup: :buttrock:

Cararan
11-24-2003, 05:11 PM
:buttrock: :buttrock: Looks very nice

MfS
11-24-2003, 05:18 PM
Looks great! The style is kind of surreal and spooky :)
Job's a good 'un

Stooge
11-24-2003, 05:50 PM
ken ken ken....truly amazing...i haven't seen yur new work for some time now...and i'm speechless....awesome job on this car. I'm in awe at how much u improve on every car you build. Keep it up and keep in touch yo.:buttrock:

robin
11-24-2003, 05:54 PM
i say its done in Lightwave.

:)

shaangfx
11-24-2003, 05:56 PM
hi nek !

do u remember me !

after making cool lamborgs u made this one really standout..looks photoreal!

great work man ! awesome !:)

Nuro
11-24-2003, 06:11 PM
beautiful car , it s very good modelling :thumbsup:

K-Project
11-24-2003, 07:05 PM
:bowdown:

Go Kenny!

Amazing job, its good to see your work once again! Its funny how people try to critique this work and find something miniscule and wrong with it, I say its Fookn' good! Go buy a SUV now!

:beer:

MikeRhone
11-24-2003, 07:16 PM
Hey man, lets see a wireframe!

M

shadowkeeper
11-24-2003, 07:21 PM
Looks cool!:buttrock: :beer:
application used? wire?

Indavisual
11-24-2003, 07:32 PM
Thats awesome! I especially like the headlights. How did you make them look so good?

oxyg3n
11-24-2003, 08:36 PM
NIce job.

Mananetwork
11-24-2003, 09:43 PM
it's not sharp enough.. It seems like you rendered small and then enlarged it or to much blur was added

cermit
11-24-2003, 10:32 PM
looks like a photo

hackie
11-24-2003, 11:02 PM
wow...awesome work!
i just noticed that you graduated from vfs.
which class were you in? my name is Jiyong(a.k.a Ji) btw(3d40).
i just checked your demo reel at your site too!
that looks sharp too!! i think you have pretty good eye on 3d!!
cheers! congrats on the front page :applause:

ji revolutions¢ā

HapZungLam
11-24-2003, 11:11 PM
i whould like to take a look at your wireframe.

look awsome!!

EAP!
11-24-2003, 11:39 PM
3d34 right?

tried to check your demo but only plays up to the title.... suv looks awsome is that a HDRI image based render? I'm currently trying to finish a car too hopefully it will be even half as good as yours. can't wait to see your next still/animation.

p.s. sorry for reading your MILK magazines...:blush:

-EAP! (3d35)

maggiore19
11-25-2003, 01:36 AM
ken great stuff dude.....its SOFTIMAGE|XSI by the way.

nicely done kenny...your the man

aazimkhan
11-25-2003, 01:58 AM
holy crap KEN...so this is what u have been upto!!...and i kept asking ya..what u doing!!.....SWEET stuff as usual...no surprise to me....

i love how u get the ideas for the photographic catalouge style renders!

TiSOy
11-25-2003, 02:14 AM
is it done in XSI?:beer:

JHarford
11-25-2003, 02:30 AM
great work man :)
good to see your popping some more cars out.
any luck job searching : ?
this is really high quality stuff, very nice

Franc
11-25-2003, 03:11 AM
:thumbsup:

DigitalChamp3
11-25-2003, 03:35 AM
Awesome, thats almost as good as an original brochure from the Dodge company.

onscreen
11-25-2003, 03:47 AM
Respect! the car modelling is marvellous. Magazine style. :beer:

Antilles
11-25-2003, 06:13 AM
It's so weird to see a great cg car thats not a sports car... rather refreshing actually. Anyway, good jorb!

Annuostivix
11-25-2003, 06:51 AM
haha, I hate knowing this will be my competition in VFS. Unless I'm mistaken and you don't attend VFS. You've done an excellent job, but you do have a few things to improve. I understand the magazine ad approach, but I think maybe it is a bit too noisey, or blurry. And of course the one headlight isn't as great as the other, but it took me a while to notice. Some other stuff is going on that isn't to my preference, but that's exactly it, it's just my preference (Or style maybe).

I couldn't do this, so I am going to go get some learning done :D

nek11man
11-25-2003, 06:52 AM
Thank you all of you for your comments, I really appreciate it.

Its done in XSI, background in photoshop.

Thankx again

Error404
11-25-2003, 08:54 AM
no wires or shaded view? I'd like to see a shaded view, thats a pretty slick looking model :) the tires look a bit shiney, but that gives it the show room look :-)

Mrtcg
11-25-2003, 10:28 AM
very nice
please put a wire frame of this car in the site

elnady
11-25-2003, 10:42 AM
Fantastic nek11man
:beer:

Wonderer
11-25-2003, 11:55 AM
Good work!:thumbsup:

nek11man
11-25-2003, 09:05 PM
Thankx guys, i will put a shaded view or wire later on

hl-artist
11-25-2003, 10:54 PM
Hey, could u get on msn so we could chat bout your altezza? We talked bout 3 months ago... BTW this looks great my friend.

ironist
11-26-2003, 02:49 AM
awesome!!

nek11man
11-26-2003, 06:55 AM
here s the shade view

http://www.vfs.com/~manft/shade%20copy.jpg

Error404
11-26-2003, 09:10 AM
sweet, very solid looking model :-)

MikeRhone
11-26-2003, 06:40 PM
Nurbs? Polys? SubD's?

I'de love to see a lo-res mesh and see how you have the topology! How long did that take you to model?

Mike R

Lewis3D
11-26-2003, 10:16 PM
Hi ne11kman !

Rendering is very attractive add beautifull :).

I would just like to ask few questions before i say something ;)

1. I didn't hear you say that you modeled this Dodge model ? Is it modeled by you or you only did render it ?
2. Why windows are so dark :(. It's pitty that we can't see interior just a little bit ?

cheers

nek11man
11-27-2003, 09:10 AM
sorry everybody, I only render it, the model was scan by someone, the polygon count is super high on this thing. I couldnt model such a nice model.

render in xsi and background done in photoshop.

Error404
11-27-2003, 09:51 AM
ah-hah! truth be told! :p :)

so, you say it's a "scan", so it wasn't actualy modeled at all? but rather a laser scan?

nek11man
11-27-2003, 09:58 AM
by the look of the model that i was provide, it doesnt look like its model, bcoz the poly is really messy, lots of unesscery triangles.

i never said i model it, sorry if you all think i did, all i have to do is render it with a style on it.

and I dont think I have to lie that I modeling this.

GFX-Arts
11-27-2003, 10:14 AM
very nice :)

Lewis3D
11-27-2003, 12:43 PM
Hi again !

nek11man - yeh i knewed it's premade model but i just wanted to ask in case you are guy who did it. That Durnago model is acctually REAL CAD data from Dodge company (or osme who work for them) so every part is precise and realistic. I just wanted to be clear on that 'coz i also have that model on my HDD. Model is built in NURBS and then transfered to OBJ but some parts are screwed during translation so it have way too much polygons on some areas.

Full model on my HDD have just little over 9 million polygons (triangles+quads) and i spent 2 days in optimizing parts to get it on 5,4 million polys with interior (interior is also completly modeled till tineyest details.

I just tough that modle is STILL under NDA (Non Disclosure Agreement) but i investigated yesterday and i also have clereance to show renders if i want ;).

You did great job on render/materials but i would sure recommend that you wirite modeling credits next time 'coz people get confused afterwards ;).

nek11man
11-27-2003, 04:18 PM
thankx for the tips Lewis ;)

PJC
11-28-2003, 02:04 AM
The original file was a CATIA model that was converted to OBJ...for my company for a project we are working on.

We've had it for quite a while for a big project and yes it has A LOT of polys. We are using Cinema 4D and I spent a long time flipping polys and optimizing the model to even use it in our production.

I didn't know it was "available" for download... how did you get it?

We, unfortunately, can't show the work we are doing for Dodge, but rendered properly it is a FINE model. I can't wait to show our model and scene when we are done. :beer:

My crit on your render would be the chrome, especially the wheels. They seem to be a little to mirror-like. Also the baby teeth on all of our reference is not chrome, but black metal. I agree with the others about the windows as well.

I like the mood that you capture though.

-pjc

nek11man
11-28-2003, 02:26 AM
Thankx for the tips PJC.

Can you please tell me which company you work in?

Lewis3D
11-28-2003, 02:44 AM
Yeh i would also like to know which company PJC works for :) ?

Since all three of us have this model it would be nice to change our observations for model :).

Me first - interior looks pretty detailed but have too many holes in some areas (probably during conversion some settings was screwed so NURBS ---> Polys didn't go extremly well ?)

cheers

nek11man
11-28-2003, 03:04 AM
Actually I didnt get the interior for this model, but I m sure you two knows way more than me about this. Stupidly, before i really thought this was a scan model, damn.

PJC
11-28-2003, 08:41 PM
I work for NTN Communications. We are doing an interactive game (with pre-rendered photoreal scenes) called "Dodge Haul of Fame" with the Durango. Last year we did a game with the new selection of RAM trucks.

A third party was converting the model for Dodge's Ad agency, and they had converted the file to OBJ from CATIA. I would have liked to have the CATIA model so I could bring the NURBS into Maya to convert to polys at my whim, but due to time and our lack of a CATIA converter it wasn't probable. So, I am guessing an engineer just did a straight export from CATIA. Not the best way to do it, but it was better than last year when we had to build the 3 RAM pickups from photo reference :O

The model is very detailed. We stripped a lot of stuff out and rebuilt it with lower poly stuff, (like the wheel wells, windshield washer squirter thingies) and poly reduced the rest of it with C4D's toolset. We used the "low" poly version of tires (which save A TON of polys) and used texture maps. We didn't use the interiors at all, and configured our file for the "Limited" version.

The biggest problem we had was the amount of polys that were flipped the wrong way. Our car paint shader looks at the normals for Fresnel reflections, so we had to painstakingly go in and hand flip a ton of them. This was due to the CATIA file seeing each one of these as a separate surface.

Our programming will start in December, so hopefully I will put some stills together to share..

so, there's my story, where do you guys work at so that you get these files to play with?

- pjc

Lewis3D
11-28-2003, 09:18 PM
Hi PJC !

I'm glad to hear your story :)

Here is mine :

I was contacted with one USA Advert agency who was biding for some work in Dodge USA. SO they contacted me with info and after we cleared all technical details i got objec tin OBJ format. My version is needed to be assembled form parts (interior and exterior was set in separate directoryes). SO after i settled all files i started to loading them in order to assembly one complete model. First part what i loaded was front fender and i was very happy with detials and quality of model. If i remember good (that was 4-5 monts ago) that's only part of model who don't have fliped polygons and unwelded points :). After few days i had optimized model (i use LightWave and i used some tools for optimizing polygons) i got exterior+interior model with 5,4 million polygons. Then i started surfacing modle in varios colors (silver, red, black..) and finaly afte rmany test renders i made final RED colored durango in 5100*3500 pixels resolution. Render time was hughe (due big AA level, 5.4mil polys and print size image) but it's worthed to see that in full glory.

My bigest problmes was smoothing angles of car paint surface 'coz many edges on doors and other parts aren't welded together. It's problem what ahppend after transfering NURBS to polys and some areas don't have same number of poly rows so it's impossible to merge back and front sid epolygons automaticaly. I spent 3 days on manualy fixing soem areas where i can weld points to have nice surface reflection on final.

I work on TV station in my country but work on 3D as Freelancer so that's how i endup with tat durango model :).

P.S. I recently modeled Dodge RAM 1500 pickup and one Ford F-150 pickup also :).

szcmz
12-01-2003, 10:43 PM
That 's so good!

DoLeeP
12-02-2003, 06:52 PM
Great
work of art
:)

ftorrev
12-03-2003, 05:47 PM
:cry: I'd linke be how your mouse...

really is a fine work...

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.