PDA

View Full Version : Help with this alien texture!

TuLe
06-12-2002, 05:48 PM
Hello everyone...!

Last night i was just playing around with my "meshes" and decided to make a new alien head, but this time i was going to try and texture it... for the first time... thats my first texture!

So as the first tex job i was looking for some feedback from you "masters"...!
i used Photoshop... duh! and my trusty wacom tablet! :scream:
3D using Max 4.2!

Here's a cople of snaps on diferent positions of my creature...

http://planeta.terra.com.br/arte/tule2k1/tulezone/images/alien_textured.jpg

If the image does not load, please use the link bellow!
http://planeta.terra.com.br/arte/tule2k1/tulezone/temp.htm

Looking foward for some feedback!

ThankX

TuLe
06-13-2002, 02:26 AM
C'mon guys no replys???

Is it really that bad?
Please it would be nice to have some advices and ideas on my guy here...!

:eek: :rolleyes: :scream: :bounce:

TuLe
06-13-2002, 05:27 AM
I fixed my server and i think the image can be seen now...

http://www.tulezone.hpg.ig.com.br/images/alien_textured.jpg

Thankx

leigh
06-14-2002, 01:09 PM
Well, that's not look too bad at all :thumbsup:
I think what it needs is some more ickyness. You should make the head more translucent, and make a brain inside that is slightly visible. Make lots of gross veins running just below the skin!!
The eyes also need some work. Perhaps make them super reflective like mercury?? A mercury effect would probably look pretty cool :)

TuLe
06-14-2002, 03:19 PM
Thanks a lot for your words Leigh...

Having a reply is aways nice, but one from you really is something... ;)

So can u ponit me some directions on how to get thoes nice effects you said?

Make lots of gross veins running just below the skin!!!
The eyes also need some work. Perhaps make them super reflective like mercury??

Should i make a transparent head like using a opacity on the mesh? and inside model a brain and some veins?

Thanks a lot for your time girl!

leigh
06-14-2002, 03:37 PM
Hmmm... well, firstly translucency is different to opacity. Translucency allows an object to be backlit only - you can't actually see through it, but light can bounce around inside it, allowing you to make out the shapes of things inside it. Most things in real life are actually translucent to some degree.

The head, however, could use a little bit of transparency as well as translucency. The problem with Max is that it's standard materials only have opacity, and not transparency... And the problem with opacity is that it makes an object fade right out of the scene instead of just making it see-through.
You might want to try using a raytrace material, and use the transparency option, but only very slightly. Raytrace materials also have translucency, so you're all set :thumbsup:

And yes, model a brain and place it inside the head. The veins you can do in the bump, colour, translucency and transparency maps :) Do loads of them!! And do them in varying shades of blue and red :) Like this:

Kim Oravecz
06-14-2002, 05:04 PM
Also, when you look at the little guy and his textures, it looks like you need to kind of "blend in" the textures from the sides of his face into the side and back of his head. It looks like you just "stopped" texturing when you finished his face. Does that make sense?

But you got a great start going there . . . I especially like the bump mapping (or was that modeled in) on his forhead and between his eyes and stuff. And just all the great subtle wrinkling of the skin on his face and stuff. He's gonna look really cool when you're done!

:thumbsup:

Later!

. . . Kim

TuLe
06-14-2002, 09:28 PM
Well actually you're right. The texture is not finished, i kinda did just a little of it and posted, that way i would know if it was coming alright :)

About thoes wrinkles it is just texture, the model is flat. the grey guy here even dont have a mouth...! hehehe

Welll i'm having a bit of trouble on how to get translucency with
the raytrace map, can u point me some directions Leigh?

Thankx a lot again, all of you!

leigh
06-18-2002, 10:25 AM
:sad: unfortunately I don't really know much about Max's raytrace materials, because I don't use the software anymore. Ummm... maybe someone who does use Max could help you out here?? Anyone?

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.