PDA

View Full Version : Why AE is said 2.5D and Nuke 3D ?

Nemo2020
05-15-2012, 06:05 PM
Is it because of the impossiblity to really import lights and camera from 3D software to After Effects ? If it's just what makes it 2.5D, then working with MAX2AE (that allow the import/export of our lights and cameras directly from max to AE) makes AE as much 3D as Nuke?

p.s: i'm not talking abotu node vs layer etc. just abotu why one is called 2.D and nuke 3D

Thx :p

Iaenic
05-15-2012, 08:13 PM
I had always beleived that AE was refered to as "2.5D" because of it's inherant limitations when working in 3d space. You actually can import cameras and lights from 3D software to AE, but everything in AE is still largely dependant on 2D layers. You can't just make a 3D cube with a single click. You have to make 6 2D layers and then arrange them in 3D space. Even when using effects which use 3D space, you tend to have that 3D space restricted to just that Single layer.

For example, lets say you have two (trapcode particular) particle systems on two seperate layers. Each particle system may exist in 3D space, but without compositing tricks that space is limited to each layer independantly. That means the particle system on the top layer will always be drawn over the other, regardless of their respective positions. If you want to get past that, you have to start worrying about depth maps and other tricks, where in a true 3D application it would be more or less automatic.

CS6 adds more 3D functionality, but I don't really know enough about it to comment on. To my knowledge, you still can't work with actual 3D models without the use of plugins and those tend to work with each layer using it's own 3D space.

th3ta
07-03-2012, 09:46 PM
Nuke has a true 3D system, just like any 3D program -Geometry, lights, cameras, particles, all can interactively live together in the same space.

AE has a 3D system, but everything still has to live on flat 2D layers. So you can move all your layers around in 3D space, but everything is still confined to 2D planes.

CGTalk Moderation
07-03-2012, 09:46 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.