PDA

View Full Version : A Decisive Moment - Support Thread

Keenly
05-15-2012, 06:37 AM
http://challenge.cgsociety.org/cloud/vray/v-ray_900x561_trans_banner.jpg (http://challenge.cgsociety.org/vray)

Welcome to the V-Ray Anniversary Challenge: A Decisive Moment (http://challenge.cgsociety.org/vray) Support Thread.

Please read the FAQ (http://challenge.cgsociety.org/vray/faq#jumpto), Terms & Conditions (http://challenge.cgsociety.org/vray/terms_and_conditions#jumpto) and other posts in this thread before asking a question.

Have fun and good luck.

changiz
05-15-2012, 09:35 AM
Cool . . . :)

dboydesign
05-15-2012, 10:47 AM
awesoem stuff!

irwit
05-15-2012, 06:11 PM
Does the pivotal moment need to be real, or can it be fiction?

Also is Photoshop allowed? I know Vue etc is mentioned but there is no mention of how much photoshop is allowed?

Bjarnskov75
05-15-2012, 07:42 PM
As i can understand there is only free license for students of the workshop. Because im studying my resources are quite limited! So i was wondering whether you could provide the same license for the less fortunate, like me :)

melkao
05-16-2012, 03:12 AM
Can i use plugins for work?..for example sigershaders vray materials?...or arronway or total textures?

mquinta
05-16-2012, 03:54 PM
Already joined, I just hope I can get something out of it!! :D

irwit, from what I understand, it can be real or/and fiction. I guess it's the story that matters.
And reading the rules, you can use Photoshop or whatever other software to compo the image

TwinSnakes
05-16-2012, 09:13 PM
Did I miss something? Unless the classes are free, how can persons that dont own VRay compete for the prize as VRay is a required component for entries?

What ever happened to "No purchase necessary". Is this even legal?

TwinSnakes
05-16-2012, 09:14 PM
Q: What deliverables are there for an image entry?
Final beauty render – rendered in V-Ray.

Yeah, I must have missed something because, what's the point of having VRay as a prize if I already own it?

Asier3d
05-17-2012, 09:27 AM
Can i enter the challenge using Vray for c4d, or only the chaosgroup original is allowed?

ChaosGroup
05-17-2012, 01:55 PM
Hi all,

Thanks for your interest in the V-Ray Challenge. In answer to your queries:
- You don't need to purchase V-Ray to enter the challenge. A V-Ray demo version can be downloaded from the Chaos Group website. You only need to create an account to be able to download: http://chaosgroup.com/en/2/downloads.html The demo produces watermarked images, but this is not a problem for the purposes of the Challenge.

- If you are a student and want to purchase the full version of V-Ray, you can do that at a discounted price. For example V-Ray 2.0 for 3ds Max EDU license costs 74 EUR /114 USD/ 67 GBP per license. To purchase a student license, you need to contact a reseller in your country: http://chaosgroup.com/en/2/purchase.html

- If you already own a V-Ray license and if you are among the winners of the Challenge, you can pick a V-Ray license for another platform. For example, if you use Max and Maya and only have V-Ray for Max, you can get a V-Ray license for Maya as a prize.

- Other software is also allowed when making your image; our only requirement is to use V-Ray as your renderer.

- Fictional decisive moments are as important as real ones! We won't impose any limitations over your creativity!

The Chaos Group Team

ChaosGroup
05-17-2012, 01:56 PM
Hi Asier3d, V-Ray for Cinema4D is also allowed in the V-Ray Challenge

pantoz
05-17-2012, 04:56 PM
Hej,

I also was wondering if there would be the possibility of a free vray licence for all participants of this challenge. I think for the mudbox challenge a time limited licence of mudbox existed.

I checked the faq. And it says:
What are the Final Image technical requirements?
Dimensions: At least 2560 x 1600 pixels or, at least 1600 x 2560 pixels. File type/extension: High quality JPG / .jpg

But the vray demo will only render at a max resolution of 600x450px. So,if i dont want to render in tiles, just use the demo will not work, .

I would realy like to participate in this challenge. But right now, i don´t have the money to buy a cgs-workshop or a vray licence.

It would be great if we could use the same licence as the workshop participans.

Thank you

V-Ray for Maya Demo Limitations (http://forums.cgsociety.org/)
- produces watermarked images
- does not support Distributed Rendering
- reset the settings regularly
- max resolution 600x450
- up to 5 lights

tripssa
05-17-2012, 05:11 PM
can i make some compositing for the vray rendering image in photoshop or a similar program?

korrigan83
05-17-2012, 06:53 PM
can give you the information to insert images WIP
then filing tansferer for final

because after multiple tests it is impossible
thank you

cordially

korrigan83

FRENCH

Pouvez vous donner les informations pour insérer les images WIP ( Travaux )

Puis pour transférer l'image final

car après multiples essais cela est impossible
merci

cordialement

korrigan83

FRANCE

TwinSnakes
05-17-2012, 08:32 PM
But the vray demo will only render at a max resolution of 600x450px. So,if i dont want to render in tiles, just use the demo will not work.

I can understand product tie-ins (free time-limited vray with purchase of training course), but in a contest, all participants must be on level playing field without a need to make a purchase to compete. Now, unless they have removed the image size restrictions on all the Vray demo's, then I think we still have a problem with this contest.

They (ChaosGroup/CgSociety) would've done better by offering the training course participants a discount off the price of purchasing a license of VRay instead, and just give every registered contest a free time-limited vray.

This isnt the first contest with required software usage, but its the first contest where the required software is not provided for free as time-limited.

I own a Vray license, FYI.

Jonatan-Moonchild
05-18-2012, 11:26 AM
Ehhh... it looks like no one loves 2D art anymore...
I really like the competitions. It's always a great opportunity to improve skills and meet (at least virtually ;) ) many talented people. But if there are software restrictions, then many of us must focus most of all on learning the tool, not the theme of competition and developing the idea... or not compete at all...

eng-omar
05-18-2012, 06:06 PM
Hi

It seem a great challenge....

I have one thing I didnt understand in terms and conditions.....item 28 :
(Ballistic Media reserves the right to suspend, shorten, modify or cancel the challenge at its sole discretion.)

Is it mean you can cancel or modify the challenge in any time?

Thanks

tswalk
05-21-2012, 12:18 AM
Hej,

I also was wondering if there would be the possibility of a free vray licence for all participants of this challenge. I think for the mudbox challenge a time limited licence of mudbox existed.

Dimensions: At least 2560 x 1600 pixels or, at least 1600 x 2560 pixels. File type/extension: High quality JPG / .jpg

But the vray demo will only render at a max resolution of 600x450px. So,if i dont want to render in tiles, just use the demo will not work, .

I would realy like to participate in this challenge. But right now, i don´t have the money to buy a cgs-workshop or a vray licence.

Thank you

- max resolution 600x450
- up to 5 lights

Pantoz makes a valid point.. how will this be addressed?

ahven
05-21-2012, 11:46 AM
VrayforC4D allowed yes ?

bendry
05-21-2012, 12:43 PM
Hi

It seem a great challenge....

I have one thing I didnt understand in terms and conditions.....item 28 :
(Ballistic Media reserves the right to suspend, shorten, modify or cancel the challenge at its sole discretion.)

Is it mean you can cancel or modify the challenge in any time?

Thanks

Very good question. We have to be able to make adjustments to a challenge for circumstances outside of our control. We don't intend on make changes, they just happen to be necessary from time to time. An example would be when we have had to allow an extra few days for entries to be submitted due to a server load issue or if a new sponsor wants to come on board after the challenge has started. We have run many large scale challenges over the years and we have never had to cancel or suspend one but we need to be prepared to be able to do so if the circumstances are presented in a manner that gives us no choice.

So in summary, item 28 states that while we do not want to take the actions described in this item, we may have to and we want to make sure that you guys understand this. We find it better to be up front and cautious rather than sneaky and erratic.

cheers,
BEN

bendry
05-21-2012, 12:56 PM
Hej,

Dimensions: At least 2560 x 1600 pixels or, at least 1600 x 2560 pixels. File type/extension:
High quality JPG / .jpg

Thank you

- max resolution 600x450
- up to 5 lights

A new FAQ item has just been added that describes the process of acquiring a time-limited version of V-Ray.

cheers,
BEN

bendry
05-21-2012, 01:10 PM
Ehhh... it looks like no one loves 2D art anymore...
I really like the competitions. It's always a great opportunity to improve skills and meet (at least virtually ;) ) many talented people. But if there are software restrictions, then many of us must focus most of all on learning the tool, not the theme of competition and developing the idea... or not compete at all...

We love 2D also, it does seem like we have had a bit of a run of 3D challenges lately, sorry, the next CG Challenge later in the year will be open to 2D also but I am not going to give away too much at this stage.

The software shouldn't be seen as a restriction but a central part of why this is a 'challenge', we want to take you outside of your comfort zone, quite deliberately. It's like an oils painter discovering acrylics for the first time, they do similar things, but the techniques and the end results and the experiences along the way are what is important.

Good luck!

cheers,
BEN

pantoz
05-21-2012, 06:01 PM
A new FAQ item has just been added that describes the process of acquiring a time-limited version of V-Ray.

cheers,
BEN

Sounds great. Thank you.

Jonatan-Moonchild
05-22-2012, 05:55 AM
The software shouldn't be seen as a restriction but a central part of why this is a 'challenge', we want to take you outside of your comfort zone, quite deliberately. It's like an oils painter discovering acrylics for the first time, they do similar things, but the techniques and the end results and the experiences along the way are what is important.

Well... actually oils and acrylics are quite similar - they are both a kind of painting. It's a bit like difference between Photoshop, Corel, Gimp etc... 3D software and 3D workflow is completely different (well... at least i suppose - I'm not much experienced in this matter). But OK, I know what you mean and partially I agree with you. And... in fact I would like to try. I don't have software like 3DS Max, Maya etc., but I heard good words about Blender. So I have a question: can V-Ray render objects created in Blender?
Thank you in advance for the answer.

Regards
Jonatan

bendry
05-22-2012, 06:37 AM
Well... actually oils and acrylics are quite similar - they are both a kind of painting. It's a bit like difference between Photoshop, Corel, Gimp etc... 3D software and 3D workflow is completely different (well... at least i suppose - I'm not much experienced in this matter). But OK, I know what you mean and partially I agree with you. And... in fact I would like to try. I don't have software like 3DS Max, Maya etc., but I heard good words about Blender. So I have a question: can V-Ray render objects created in Blender?
Thank you in advance for the answer.

Regards
Jonatan

Hey Jonaton, I'm glad my ramblings made some sort of sense. I believe that there was or is something in the works on an official level regarding Blender, but in the meantime have a look here:

http://bdancer.github.com/

cheers,
BEN

Jonatan-Moonchild
05-22-2012, 08:47 AM
Hey Jonaton, I'm glad my ramblings made some sort of sense. I believe that there was or is something in the works on an official level regarding Blender, but in the meantime have a look here:

http://bdancer.github.com/

cheers,
BEN

Hello Benjamin. Thank you for a quick answer. Now I see a little light at the end of the tunnel... I hope it's not a train ;). Sorry for another basic/silly question but... to get a time-limited full license we need to upload Work-in-Progress image. Is a 2D sketch/image enough, or we have to push it a little bit forward and create at least basic objects/scene in 3D?
Thanks in advance.

Regards
Jonatan

bendry
05-22-2012, 09:45 AM
Hello Benjamin. Thank you for a quick answer. Now I see a little light at the end of the tunnel... I hope it's not a train ;). Sorry for another basic/silly question but... to get a time-limited full license we need to upload Work-in-Progress image. Is a 2D sketch/image enough, or we have to push it a little bit forward and create at least basic objects/scene in 3D?
Thanks in advance.

Regards
Jonatan

A conceptual sketch submitted into the Challenge engine and then emailing the details as per the FAQ will be enough.

Good luck!

cheers,
BEN

Ablenesi
05-22-2012, 04:49 PM
Hi,
Can I join the challenge if I'm not over 18?
I born in 1994 July 28 so I will be close to it to the end of the challenge.

MalC
05-24-2012, 05:04 PM
Hi,

I have a question about royalty free textures, images, and models? Basically, what can we use and what can't we? Does it matter if they were bought or given away by the artist? Is it ok to use a royalty free model as a jumping off point upon which the actual geometry that will be rendered / seen is based?

Also, is there a date before the challenge deadline past which it is too late to start submitting WIPs?

Ablenesi
05-24-2012, 05:26 PM
Hi,
My name is Blénesi Attila and I want to ask can I join the challenge if I'm not 18 yet I was born in 1994 July 28, the challenge ends on July 15. So I'm 18 after the challenge close with 13 days.

BinaryRay
05-27-2012, 10:28 AM
Hi, i have entered the challenge, the submit button has turned yellow but i am unable to upload any wips whatsoever. When i select an image file it uploads and then nothing...
Am i doing something wrong, or there is a problem with the site?

MikeHepburn
05-27-2012, 11:12 PM
Hi,
Can I join the challenge if I'm not over 18?
I born in 1994 July 28 so I will be close to it to the end of the challenge.

Hi Ablenesi,
Unfortunately, no you can't :(
However, we will be having another challenge soon after this one, and you will be eligible for that. So get practicing!

MikeHepburn
05-28-2012, 01:54 AM
Hi,

I have a question about royalty free textures, images, and models? Basically, what can we use and what can't we? Does it matter if they were bought or given away by the artist? Is it ok to use a royalty free model as a jumping off point upon which the actual geometry that will be rendered / seen is based?

Also, is there a date before the challenge deadline past which it is too late to start submitting WIPs?

Hi Malcolm,

You can use any royalty free asset you want. You can use another artist’s model, if you have permission to do so. You can also use a royalty free model as a base model. However, you should add significant creative input to make the models and results unique. And, you must point out what you used in your WIPs.

There is no real deadline for the required WIPs. However, I strongly suggest getting them in well before the final day, just to ensure they are safely in the Challenge engine well before the final seconds tick away.

Cheers

MikeHepburn
05-28-2012, 01:58 AM
Hi, i have entered the challenge, the submit button has turned yellow but i am unable to upload any wips whatsoever. When i select an image file it uploads and then nothing...

Hi BinaryRay,

I can't replicate your problem, it all seems to be working for me. Maybe it's a caching issue, or browser problem. Try using another browser.

If you still have issues, email info@cgsociety.org (http://forums.cgsociety.org/info@cgsociety.org) with your details and our tech support will be able to sort it out for you.

Cheers

Madio
05-28-2012, 05:12 PM
Hi!

Should I have a wip thread on the forum during the challenge (and where it should be?), or uploading all stuff diractly to entries is the way?

Thank you!:)

Microno95
05-28-2012, 08:45 PM
I'm not sure whether to enter or not. I want to but I'm not sure if winning the competition entails a breach of the terms and conditions of the 3ds max educational license. Does anyone have any information on this? I would like to know whether or not entering and winning a competition constitutes "commercial use" of the software.

EDIT:: Nevermind, just realised 18 and under can't enter...

MikeHepburn
05-30-2012, 01:36 AM
Hi!

Should I have a wip thread on the forum during the challenge (and where it should be?), or uploading all stuff diractly to entries is the way?

Thank you!:)
Hi Dmitry,

You must upload at least 2 WIPs in the Challenge engine (to be eligible to win). Additionally, you can start a WIP thread here: http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=345

ipranawake
05-31-2012, 10:50 AM

I had the same problem in the last challenge too, but unable to sort it out till the end ..., and i had to mail all of my images to info@cgsociety.org.

I have tried other browsers too but didn't work for but .. maybe its just for me ... Try "Google Chrome" for that i haven't tried that ... and there are other ones too, such as "Opera" .... Try them out as soon as you can.

I strongly recommend that you don't wait till the end , Sort it out today .... I ignored till the end and it was not good for me.

eng-omar
05-31-2012, 05:55 PM
I had the same problem in the last challenge too, but unable to sort it out till the end ..., and i had to mail all of my images to info@cgsociety.org.

I have tried other browsers too but didn't work for but .. maybe its just for me ... Try "Google Chrome" for that i haven't tried that ... and there are other ones too, such as "Opera" .... Try them out as soon as you can.

I strongly recommend that you don't wait till the end , Sort it out today .... I ignored till the end and it was not good for me.

I had the same problem ...
But I solved the problem by installing a ( Maxthon ) browser ..... It works very good
Sorry for the last challenge I saw your message about the problem after the challenge....

Sorry Admins for my interference

ipranawake
05-31-2012, 11:26 PM
I had the same problem ...
But I solved the problem by installing a ( Maxthon ) browser ..... It works very good
Sorry for the last challenge I saw your message about the problem after the challenge....

Sorry Admins for my interference

Wow ... Thanks you man ... !! This is certainly going to help many ...... :thumbsup:

BinaryRay
06-01-2012, 07:38 AM
ie did not work for me but i had no problem with chrome

ipranawake
06-01-2012, 08:24 PM
ie did not work for me but i had no problem with chrome

Glad you sorted that out .... :applause:

JayWalker
06-03-2012, 06:48 AM
I work for Nvidia, since they are one of the sponsors am i eligible to enter. Since they don't have a part in judging i would think so but i wanted to make sure.

MikeHepburn
06-04-2012, 01:05 AM
I work for Nvidia, since they are one of the sponsors am i eligible to enter. Since they don't have a part in judging i would think so but i wanted to make sure.

Hi Jason,
Yep tis all cool, join up!

paopao123
06-07-2012, 11:09 AM
i have a question
Can i use free 3d models for my work ?

MikeHepburn
06-08-2012, 01:19 AM
i have a question
Can i use free 3d models for my work ?

Hi Christian,

You can use a royalty free model as a base model. However, you should add significant creative input to make the models and results unique. And, you must point out what you used in your WIPs.

Cheers, Mike

MikeHepburn
06-08-2012, 01:21 AM
We are happy to welcome Fox Renderfarm to our sponsor list for this challenge...
Website is: http://foxrenderfarm.com/

1st prize $5000 render fee

2nd prize $3000 render fee

3rd prize $2000 render fee

As the last but not least step of a project, rendering is always a big challenge to artists. With the provided $5000, $3000 or $2000 rendering fees @ Fox Render Farm, you can choose from the Metered Render Service and the Unlimited Render Package according to your project and enjoy the leading cloud-computing technology.

What's more, there is no time limit with these prizes, which means with so much rendering power and the new adjusted price; you can render one big project for several weeks or several small projects for a longer time period.

Killingjok3
06-08-2012, 10:49 PM
Hi all!

I have a question about this challenge. In the challenge description it is said that, and I quote, "To complement the V-Ray Challenge, CGWorkshops are offering two 5 week online V-Ray workshops run by veteran trainer and V-Ray practitioner Boaz Livny. Brush up on your skills in Intermediate and Advanced Techniques in V-Ray Part 1 (http://workshops.cgsociety.org/courseinfo.php?id=256&utm_source=cgsociety&utm_medium=cgchallenge&utm_campaign=livjun256) and then Part 2 (http://workshops.cgsociety.org/courseinfo.php?id=273&utm_source=cgsociety&utm_medium=cgchallenge&utm_campaign=livjul273)."

Does this mean that anyone who decides to enter the challenge is eligible to those vray workshops?

Thanks in advance:)

Devailo1
06-12-2012, 09:21 PM
can i use photoshop just to add lens effects(needed for headlights and taillights)?

Jonatan-Moonchild
06-13-2012, 08:28 AM
can i use photoshop just to add lens effects(needed for headlights and taillights)?

In Addition to this question I have another one: can I use 2D program (GIMP in my case) to create background? The FAQ mentioned only "Bryce/Vue/Terragen" (all 3D) as an example, so...

Regards
Jonatan

mquinta
06-14-2012, 09:27 AM
Hi all!

I have a question about this challenge. In the challenge description it is said that, and I quote, "To complement the V-Ray Challenge, CGWorkshops are offering two 5 week online V-Ray workshops run by veteran trainer and V-Ray practitioner Boaz Livny. Brush up on your skills in Intermediate and Advanced Techniques in V-Ray Part 1 (http://workshops.cgsociety.org/courseinfo.php?id=256&utm_source=cgsociety&utm_medium=cgchallenge&utm_campaign=livjun256) and then Part 2 (http://workshops.cgsociety.org/courseinfo.php?id=273&utm_source=cgsociety&utm_medium=cgchallenge&utm_campaign=livjul273)."

Does this mean that anyone who decides to enter the challenge is eligible to those vray workshops?

Thanks in advance:)

Hi Miguel!
I´m 99% sure that it doesnt ;) You may enter the chalenge for free, but the workshops have their own fee and go on a separate path. You pay, you do it!

Cheers!

(Não querias mais nada :P lol)

TDempsey
06-14-2012, 08:50 PM
I would like to use Vue to create the background for my image, then use Vray and 3dsMax for my foreground subject, and composite them in Photoshop. Is this allowed?

MikeHepburn
06-14-2012, 10:55 PM

Hi, yes you can. Just please mention where you used it in your WIPS :)

MikeHepburn
06-14-2012, 10:58 PM
Hi Miguel!
I´m 99% sure that it doesnt ;) You may enter the chalenge for free, but the workshops have their own fee and go on a separate path. You pay, you do it!

Cheers!

(Não querias mais nada :P lol)

Hi Miguel, mquinta is 100% right. :)

cookepuss
06-16-2012, 03:00 PM
Looks like a good contest, but as a C4D user I really can't enter. Looks like you need VRay to win VRay and since there's no VRAYforC4d trial.... Oh, well. Maybe next comp.

I just wish that Chaos Group would support C4D directly instead of us having to depend on a 3rd party, which is sad because CG even officially supports smaller apps like SketchUp. Like I said, oh well. Maybe in the distant future when food comes in pill form and flying cars fill the sky. :hmm:

Maybe I'll just do the topic for fun w/o VRay.

woko
06-20-2012, 09:04 PM
Hello I am probably being a proper numpty here but I can't seem to upload my WIP to the Upload challenge button, I press it, then it has a small eye glass to browse for my work, and a blank bar, so i browse to my work press open then nothing happens? Any clues as to why its not working I know its something I am probably doing completely wrong
cheers
woko

MikeHepburn
06-20-2012, 11:06 PM
Hello I am probably being a proper numpty here but I can't seem to upload my WIP to the Upload challenge button, I press it, then it has a small eye glass to browse for my work, and a blank bar, so i browse to my work press open then nothing happens? Any clues as to why its not working I know its something I am probably doing completely wrong
cheers
woko

Hi Rob,

Sounds like it may just be a weird caching issue. Perhaps try another browser. If problems persist consult info@cgsociety.org

Good news is there are over 25 days to go, so best to get rid of pesky technical issues early on:)

Cheers, Mike

MikeHepburn
06-20-2012, 11:20 PM
In Addition to this question I have another one: can I use 2D program (GIMP in my case) to create background? The FAQ mentioned only "Bryce/Vue/Terragen" (all 3D) as an example, so...

Regards
Jonatan

Hi Jonatan,

This challenge requires artists to use 3d software. Chaos Group decided to be more flexible with 2d software only in the compositing stage to allow artists to fine-tune the final image.

Sorry mate.

Kinematics
06-22-2012, 11:26 AM
Is there a cut-off that for the submission of the 2 necessary WIPS to stay in the competition?
Thank you.

MikeHepburn
06-25-2012, 02:13 AM
Is there a cut-off that for the submission of the 2 necessary WIPS to stay in the competition?
Thank you.

As long as all the deliverables arrive prior to the deadline you should be OK. However, part of the spirit and fun of these competitions is to share your work as you progress, so it would be great if you could get some WIPs in prior to the final deadline.

Also, it's good to upload something way before the deadline to ensure that you do not have technical issues - it's easy to help with tech issues 21 days prior to deadline, almost impossible with 21 minutes :)

santuand3dworld
06-25-2012, 01:43 PM
Respected Sir Or madam
Can I send mulple camera angle imgaes of same entry
http://challenge.cgsociety.org/cloud/vray/v-ray_900x561_trans_banner.jpg (http://challenge.cgsociety.org/vray)

Welcome to the V-Ray Anniversary Challenge: A Decisive Moment (http://challenge.cgsociety.org/vray) Support Thread.

Please read the FAQ (http://challenge.cgsociety.org/vray/faq#jumpto), Terms & Conditions (http://challenge.cgsociety.org/vray/terms_and_conditions#jumpto) and other posts in this thread before asking a question.

Have fun and good luck.[/QUOTE]

MikeHepburn
06-27-2012, 07:39 AM
Respected Sir Or madam
Can I send mulple camera angle imgaes of same entry

Hiya,

You can. However, only one can be chosen to go into the judging round, so I would recommend you spend your time on making the one angle perfect.

RehanSheikh
06-28-2012, 11:47 PM
Hey Mike,
I own the licence of Matrix7, so am I allowed to take a part in this competition,
with Vray for Matrix the maximum resolution I can get is 1920x1080,
Regards,
Rehan Sheikh

MikeHepburn
07-02-2012, 01:47 AM
Hey Mike,
I own the licence of Matrix7, so am I allowed to take a part in this competition,
with Vray for Matrix the maximum resolution I can get is 1920x1080,
Regards,
Rehan Sheikh

Hiya,
Yes, join in the fun! :)

anticz
07-03-2012, 05:56 AM
What happened to the VRay temp licence in the FAQ? How do I get a temp licence? It was in the FAQ a few days ago but it looks like it's been removed.

MikeHepburn
07-04-2012, 06:33 AM
What happened to the VRay temp licence in the FAQ? How do I get a temp licence? It was in the FAQ a few days ago but it looks like it's been removed.

Hi Mike,

The reason is that Chaos Group have to physically ship licenses via post and people won't be able to get them and render their image by 15 July. Let me see what I can do.

LoMac
07-04-2012, 08:39 AM
Hi Mike,

The reason is that Chaos Group have to physically ship licenses via post and people won't be able to get them and render their image by 15 July. Let me see what I can do.

That's real disappointing. Maybe I could contact one of the retailers to see if they provide evaluation copies.

Nebucadnezar
07-04-2012, 03:45 PM
Hi everyone! I'm just a bit confused about the use of 2D softwares :

From what I understand it is allowed to compose passes or parts of your image as long as you render them in V-ray but is it allowed to tweak the levels/curves/colors etc.... of the image or are we just allowed to comp passes?

What about effects such as depth of fields or lens flares added in post, are those allowed (if yes do we lose points if we use them rather than the built-in v-ray depth of field?)

Thanks in advance

Nebucadnezar
07-04-2012, 03:47 PM
Are plugins allowed? I'm thinking fume fx here

ScallyFox
07-05-2012, 11:23 AM
What should be the minimal size of the final entry? In pixels.
I saw the numbers, but I can't find them anymore.. I'm affraid my computer will not survive huge renderings..

bobu
07-05-2012, 08:14 PM

From what I understand it is allowed to compose passes or parts of your image as long as you render them in V-ray but is it allowed to tweak the levels/curves/colors etc.... of the image or are we just allowed to comp passes?

What about effects such as depth of fields or lens flares added in post, are those allowed (if yes do we lose points if we use them rather than the built-in v-ray depth of field?)

Thanks in advance
Hi everyone!
I have the same question. Can we create DOF fog in After Effects, use blurs, glows and other filters to enhance the visual quality of the final image?

luisrosenstock
07-05-2012, 10:38 PM
When will be the winners announced?

Kinematics
07-06-2012, 07:35 AM
Hi Mike,

Can I contact the local distributor and see if I can get a license from them instead?

MikeHepburn
07-07-2012, 01:34 AM
Can I contact the local distributor and see if I can get a license from them instead?

There's no need to. You only need to download the demo: http://chaosgroup.com/en/2/downloads.html The demo produces watermarked images, but this is not a problem for the purposes of the Challenge.

It also only renders at a smaller resolution, so please ignore the size requirements in the FAQ, and render to the highest res possible in the demo.

MikeHepburn
07-07-2012, 01:36 AM
When will be the winners announced?

They will be announced at SIGGRAPH, some time from the 5th to the 9th of August. I'm not sure of the exact date.

Cheers, Mike

MikeHepburn
07-07-2012, 01:48 AM
What should be the minimal size of the final entry? In pixels.
I saw the numbers, but I can't find them anymore.. I'm affraid my computer will not survive huge renderings..

It says at least 2560 x 1600 pixels or, at least 1600 x 2560 pixels in the FAQ.

However, some people will only have access to the v-ray demo, which renders at around 600px I believe. For those in this circumstance, they are very much encouraged to enter and won't be penalized.

MikeHepburn
07-07-2012, 02:18 AM
Hi everyone!
I have the same question. Can we create DOF fog in After Effects, use blurs, glows and other filters to enhance the visual quality of the final image?

Good questions! I've sent them to the good folk at Chaos Group to answer, will get back to you the second I hear!

pavelv
07-08-2012, 02:59 PM

cheers,
BEN

need license pliz :(

AdaMart
07-09-2012, 02:34 AM
Hi I have uploded the final image but there is a problem and I can't see it
> http://challenge.cgsociety.org/vray/entry/AdaMart/final_image/10000521
could you cheek it?

paopao123
07-09-2012, 03:52 AM
is it required to use the 1600 x 2560 resolution in our final image?

Keenly
07-09-2012, 04:10 AM
Hi I have uploded the final image but there is a problem and I can't see it@AdaMart fixed. the problem was caused by the brackets in the image name, but all fixed now.

LoMac
07-09-2012, 04:17 AM
I was wondering how multiple entries are handled? You use the same upload process for both entries but specify that each is a final entry? Then when their judging they look at all final entry images?

MikeHepburn
07-09-2012, 06:26 AM
I was wondering how multiple entries are handled? You use the same upload process for both entries but specify that each is a final entry? Then when their judging they look at all final entry images?

Hi Logan,

That's right. All images marked FINAL ENTRY go into the first round of judging, but please make sure you have entered a least 2 WIPs for each final entry.

MikeHepburn
07-09-2012, 06:29 AM
@AdaMart fixed. the problem was caused by the brackets in the image name, but all fixed now.

Thanks Keenly.

Just over a week to go. I strongly suggest that everybody get at least a WIP up to ensure that you don't have any issues with uploading.

Cheers, Mike

AdaMart
07-09-2012, 01:57 PM
Thank you :)

sato
07-09-2012, 07:29 PM
Can we use Fusion and/or Photoshop for compositing and finishing?

icesculptor
07-09-2012, 09:03 PM
is there any chance of extending the deadline of the challange

Regards

MikeHepburn
07-09-2012, 11:03 PM

Thanks in advance

Hi,

Yes, you can tweak the levels etc.

Yes, you may use depth of fields and lens flares.

Cheers, Mike

MikeHepburn
07-09-2012, 11:04 PM
Can we use Fusion and/or Photoshop for compositing and finishing?

Yes, you may.

MikeHepburn
07-09-2012, 11:05 PM
Are plugins allowed? I'm thinking fume fx here

Yes, you may.

MikeHepburn
07-09-2012, 11:06 PM
Hi everyone!

Yes, you may.

Cheers, Mike

Talha-Shamsi
07-10-2012, 08:06 PM
Is there any chance of extending the deadline of this challenge, a week extension will be awesome !!

Please let me know

Regards

luisrosenstock
07-10-2012, 09:18 PM
I am running into problems to upload a image, it´s not appearing, there´s some error...

http://challenge.cgsociety.org/vray/entry/luisrosenstock/concept_art/10000597

Does anybody know how I can solve this problem? I would like to delete the image and try uploading again, but there´s not this option, unfortunately...

MikeHepburn
07-11-2012, 03:11 AM
I am running into problems to upload a image, it´s not appearing, there´s some error...

http://challenge.cgsociety.org/vray/entry/luisrosenstock/concept_art/10000597

Does anybody know how I can solve this problem? I would like to delete the image and try uploading again, but there´s not this option, unfortunately...

Hi,

That should be fixed now.

If you, or anyone else has tech problems, please contact info@cgsociety.org (http://forums.cgsociety.org/info@cgsociety.org) with your username, and issue.

Cheers, Mike

MikeHepburn
07-11-2012, 06:09 AM
Hi all V-Ray Anniversary Challengers,

On behalf of CGSociety and our sponsors (http://www.cgsociety.org/12all/lt.php?c=0&m=293&nl=36&lid=0&l=-http--challenge.cgsociety.org/vray/sponsors--PND-jumpto) (Chaos Group, NVIDIA, BOXX, FOX Renderfarm, Maxon, CGWorkshops, 3DConnexion, and Ballistic) I would like to thank you for being part of this competition!

Just a quick reminder that there is just over 5 days to go before the end of the Challenge, and an extension is highly unlikely. So please get ready to upload your images.

Remember, in order to qualify, and have a chance at being part of the $35,000+ prize pool, you need to post at least 2 Works In Progress, and the final beauty render.

If you have any technical issues please email info@cgsociety.org

Thanks again!

TheRazorsEdge
07-11-2012, 11:27 AM
Beat me up, but I could not find a definitive deadline, as in specific daytime/timezone, plus I really suck at math. lol. Judging from the countdown, if my rotten Math does not fail me completely, the deadline is sometime around 8 o'clock in the morning of Monday the 16th European time (GMT+1). Is that even remotely correct?

It's going to be very tight for me so I'd really appreciate if you could confirm the specifics. Thank you! :)

Cheers!

AymanKamel
07-12-2012, 10:09 AM
upload link not working for some reason , is it just me or someone encountered this problem too ?

sergiosmith
07-12-2012, 10:50 AM
upload link not working for some reason , is it just me or someone encountered this problem too ?
Try using Google Chrome browser. It seems like IE doesn't work here.

luisrosenstock
07-12-2012, 11:45 AM
Why isn´t there a way to delete the image after posting it there? It´s so weird...

MikeHepburn
07-13-2012, 12:13 AM
Try using Google Chrome browser. It seems like IE doesn't work here.

Sergio is right. We recommend using Chrome or Firefox.

If problems persist, email info@cgsociety.org

ipranawake
07-13-2012, 06:36 AM
Everybody !! download Google chrome .... It gives no headache uploading the image .... and never fails !! Good luck all !

MikeHepburn
07-13-2012, 08:22 AM
Hey all,

If you refresh http://challenge.cgsociety.org/vray , you will notice 24 hours have been added. Unfortunately that looks like the most extension we can give.

Good rendering my friends!

Cheers, Mike

TheRazorsEdge
07-13-2012, 09:45 AM
Sweet, thanks a lot. :)
When exactly is the cutoff, as in specific day/time/timezone?

Cheers!

InTerceptoV
07-13-2012, 09:34 PM
When can we send our image to CGTalk Gallery, or any other galleries, before the voting is done or do we need to wait for voting to finish?

johnchen
07-13-2012, 10:33 PM
Hey all,

If you refresh http://challenge.cgsociety.org/vray , you will notice 24 hours have been added. Unfortunately that looks like the most extension we can give.

Cheers, Mike

Pheew, thank you for the extension, rendering out at 2.5K with GI takes time ,

Just to confirm the deadline is in 3 days and 8 hours from the time of this post?
http://i47.tinypic.com/bh5js.jpg

sato
07-14-2012, 07:24 PM
Hey all,

Cheers, Mike

That extension is very sweet, but I just don't understand why you gave it.

Being done on time and reaching a deadline is an important part of the challenge.
There is plenty of time before.It's just about managing your time well.
in the professional industry you must be done for the deadline, not a day after.
I worked extra hard to make sure I'll be done on time.
just my 2 cents.
Good luck everybody

prokopy
07-15-2012, 03:02 PM
Where can i upload my final entry? in my thread or ill create another thread in this challenge?

thanks... :p

AymanKamel
07-15-2012, 04:52 PM
I was wondering if its possible to put any information on the work submitted since I see many works without any copyright information on them for example ?

MikeHepburn
07-16-2012, 02:36 AM
Where can i upload my final entry? in my thread or ill create another thread in this challenge?

thanks... :p

Hi Peter,

Go to this page, and hit the big green button... http://challenge.cgsociety.org/vray

cheers, Mike

MikeHepburn
07-16-2012, 02:46 AM
Pheew, thank you for the extension, rendering out at 2.5K with GI takes time ,

Just to confirm the deadline is in 3 days and 8 hours from the time of this post?
http://i47.tinypic.com/bh5js.jpg

Yeah that looks right. There is now... 1 day, 4 hours, 14 minutes to go :)

MikeHepburn
07-16-2012, 03:01 AM
When can we send our image to CGTalk Gallery, or any other galleries, before the voting is done or do we need to wait for voting to finish?

Hi Toni,

When the competition part (not the judging) of the Challenge ends you may publish your final image...

9. Entries should remain unpublished outside of CGSociety prior to the close of the challenge.

... so, in 1 day, 4 hours, 3 minutes time :)

MikeHepburn
07-16-2012, 05:03 AM
Sweet, thanks a lot. :)
When exactly is the cutoff, as in specific day/time/timezone?

Cheers!

Hiya,

If my math is correct... it would be 11.59pm, Monday 16th LA time http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=137

Just keep an eye on the countdown to be sure :)

MikeHepburn
07-16-2012, 05:05 AM
That extension is very sweet, but I just don't understand why you gave it.

Being done on time and reaching a deadline is an important part of the challenge.
There is plenty of time before.It's just about managing your time well.
in the professional industry you must be done for the deadline, not a day after.
I worked extra hard to make sure I'll be done on time.
just my 2 cents.
Good luck everybody

Hiya,

Yeah, I totally agree.
The day was added because the deadline fell on a Sunday. We wanted to get one whole working day in before the deadline so we could be better deal with technical issues if they arose.

Cheers, Mike

ttaaddeekk
07-16-2012, 07:18 AM

same question here

fin72434
07-16-2012, 02:39 PM
I ask ~ pass the wrong picture CONCEPT ART ENTRIES ~ can remove it?

top3dart
07-17-2012, 03:54 AM
on no
i need just one day and every thing . . . . . :banghead:

we lost again

:cry:

MikeHepburn
07-17-2012, 10:53 PM
Hi all,

The submission engine has closed down - and the countdown clock will soon be killed!

Thank you so much for joining in.

Now the judging process will begin.

Cheers, Mike

jstaddon
07-18-2012, 03:03 AM
How long do you think we can expect judging to take?

InTerceptoV
07-20-2012, 05:24 AM
Hey Mike I am just wondering if it is possible to change text below the image with the new one? If it is possible how do I change it?

MikeHepburn
07-25-2012, 03:24 AM
How long do you think we can expect judging to take?

Hi Jinmu,

Chaos Group will announce some time during SIGGRAPH (http://s2012.siggraph.org/). I'm not sure when exactly. I'll post as soon as I know.

Cheers, Mike

MikeHepburn
08-02-2012, 12:24 AM
Hi Jinmu,

Chaos Group will announce some time during SIGGRAPH (http://s2012.siggraph.org/). I'm not sure when exactly. I'll post as soon as I know.

Cheers, Mike

I've been informed that the winners will soon be announced!

Please stand by.

MikeHepburn
08-02-2012, 12:31 AM
The winners of the V-Ray 10th Anniversary Challenge are... http://www.cgsociety.org/index.php/CGSFeatures/CGSFeatureSpecial/v_ray_10_year_decisive_moment_winners

eng-omar
08-03-2012, 01:13 PM
Congratulations to the winners

Comar93
08-04-2012, 04:22 PM
Since I haven't won any awards or honorary mentions, can I try my luck at the CGsociety gallery?