PDA

View Full Version : Syflex Cloth

GoldStandard3D
05-14-2012, 04:30 PM
Hello just another quick lil issue I'm having a problem with. I cant seem to both envelope my characters gown and have the syflex act correctly. either part of the gown where my waist bone is enveloped acts badly or the cloth chooses not to follow the waists movements.

GoldStandard3D
05-20-2012, 05:57 PM
WOW 120 views and still no help, not even a link. I guess Softimage is dead so is the community.

Jesse-Irvin
05-20-2012, 09:33 PM
I wouldn't say that, clearly with no response yet many views these people don't have an answer to your question but that hardly means the software or community is dead. Perhaps it's just that Softimage is a big app that most don't know everything about.

Looking at what you are asking and trying to do I would say theres a problem with the methodology. I would avoid using syflex and envelopes on the same geo if thats causing a problem, or find a way to separate the two from affecting one another. An Idea would be to only weight the part you want weighted to the bones. You can envelope only parts of a geo but you'll need to understand clusters and possibly weight maps to do it. Fortunately I can provide a link but I think you know how to press f1.

An alternative approach would be to focus on using the tools within syflex to do what you are trying to do, it's possible that you have taken the completely wrong approach and what you want to do simply wont work.

I can't answer your question because like everyone else I haven't tried this before and therefore do not have an answer. But hopefully the above will help.

If that doesn't help, try the mailing list.

Please avoid being so rude and demanding, the Softimage community is not dead, please consider that perhaps the problem is on your end and not here with us.

ThE_JacO
05-21-2012, 12:10 AM
WOW 120 views and still no help, not even a link. I guess Softimage is dead so is the community.
Jumping to conclusions much? :)
Experiment with caching settings and pre-caching. Simulations require an initial state, so often times they don't consider what is going on before their entry point in the stack past the initial sim frame.

You are not getting replies because it's pretty hard to give advice on something like this without even seeing the rig, and you provide very little indication of what you're doing (normal syflex, ice syflex, where do these things live in the stack, what have you tried, how you're caching etc.), and because at the end of the day not that many people use syflex on clothed characters.

I know I personally haven't [used it] in quite a while; last I used it was some minor stuff for babydoll's skirt in sucker punch, nor have seen anybody do.

GoldStandard3D
05-21-2012, 04:16 AM
Hmm I see what you mean Jesse-Irvin and ThE_JacO, also thanks for the tips to. I will keep doing research on this issue with syflex cloth as I provide part of my model for your further inspection.

The CG society servers cant take my 900+kb file any other good places to upload a file?

Created using student version of XSI 2012
Upper half of character removed, to better focus on problems

mirkoj
06-15-2012, 06:46 AM
If I understood correctly you have a piece of cloth that needs to be attached to moving object on one part and the rest of it to simulate freely when character moves?
In that case check out syflex constrain options, pins and nails... some of them constrains vertices of syflex mesh to null, some also can constrain them to vertices of another geometry.
In that way for example on pants, you can have vertices that are in hips area like belt to be constrained to cahracters hips and the rest of pants falls and simulate freely.
So check out SI help and syflex constrain nodes.
Also definitively go with ICE syflex, not old one.

On a side note, try looking for help on xsibase.com as well. more SI users are still dveling tehre instead of cgtalk.
si-community.com is also good place for help as well.

CGTalk Moderation
06-15-2012, 06:46 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.