PDA

View Full Version : Survey and giveaway?

drewjmore
05-14-2012, 04:47 PM
I received an exciting email the other day telling me I'd won a iPod and some Norman training books. I provided all information that they asked for in that message, address name and such minor stuff.

Congratulations! You have won Second Prize in CGSociety’s survey
and giveaway collaboration with Mediafreaks, an award-winning 3D
animation studio
based in Singapore.

Today, they've asked for my Social Security number, which when combined with the other data could be easily used to steal my identity.

Who else thinks this could be a scam?

-drew

leigh
05-14-2012, 07:20 PM
Uh, I don't recall us ever being involved in anything like that. Sounds like they're using our name to get your attention - I'm going to have to bring this to the attention of the big guns here.

drewjmore
05-14-2012, 07:59 PM
The plot thickens, then.

My last reply was that they should send their request to me by postal mail, thus making them liable to federal fraud if they persist in fooling me.

I suddenly wonder if listing my location as 'american samoa' marked me as a target for this (alleged) con game?

bendry
05-15-2012, 02:51 AM
We did a survey with Mediafreaks about a month ago and Drew was in fact the 2nd place randomly picked winner, asking for your social security number seems a bit odd so I will pass this onto our Advertising guy who chase this up for you.

cheers,
BEN

leigh
05-15-2012, 10:29 AM
Oops, I guess this is what happens when I don't read the newsletters :P

Kirt
05-15-2012, 04:45 PM
I read that newsletter. Couldn't find a link in it anywhere to take the survey. I'm quite surprised to hear that someone actually was able to complete the survey and win. Well, I guess at least 2 people figured it out somehow (first and second prize). :shrug:

drewjmore
05-15-2012, 11:29 PM
The contest guy replied to my message, and has withdrawn the SSN request.

Thanks very much bendry for letting me know this was a real thing, I guess I'm about to become a gadget richer!!

(no hard feelings leigh, I appreciate that You appreciated my concern...on the upside: I guess you can trust random people from the internet!)

CGTalk Moderation
05-15-2012, 11:29 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.