PDA

View Full Version : usa a layer as a mask for another one

Antonio79
11-23-2003, 05:02 PM
Hello! I have a complex figure on a level (without background), and I made it white on a black layer background, then I merged the two and I made a layer with the black background and the white figure. My question is... can I use this layer as a mask for another layer under it? how can I do? thanks, Antonio

halo
11-23-2003, 07:03 PM
ctrl click the layer mask, select the new layer you want a mask on, and click the make layer mask icon on the layers palette....it will make it the same as the one you want.

Or make a layer set, put the layers you want to mask inside it and mask all the layers with one mask, copying and pasting from your existing mask into the layer set mask and deleting the old one...this means you only need to edit the one mask.

Antonio79
11-23-2003, 07:56 PM
that's cool! I didn't know about ctrl click on a layer to make a perfect selection on it, that is even enought! thank you, Antonio

MPocorschi
12-05-2003, 11:45 AM
If you have a layer , b/w that you want to use as mask, ctrl-clicking on it won't give you the whole range of shades of gray, so no semi-transparency. For example if you have a brick wall and want to add dirt based on a dirt map just do the following.

Load the brick wall file, import the mask texture in a different layer, hide it. Then on the layer you want to add dirt just click on Add Layer Mask. This acts like a local alpha where white is completly opaque and black is completly transparent. Unhide the dirt mask layer, select all, copy, hide. Then on the layer mask previously selected just paste it(to work on the layer mask alone just alt+click the layer mask icon) then paste. Now click on the brick layer icon and voila. Local alpha to which you can adjust the transparency( i think ;)) Later edit. If you alt+click the layer mask icon again and now image>adjustsments>brightness and contrast you can reshape the efect of the layer mask. Raising the brightness makes it more opaque, lowering makes it more transparent.
let me know if you need some screenshots

dg
12-06-2003, 05:19 PM
Or you could simply hit Control+A with your B/W mask layer and hit control+C, go to Channels pallete, create a Aplha Channel (Create New Channel) hit Control+V, now hit Control+D and now holding down the Control click in this recently created Alpha channel, a selection of the white area will be created, now go to the layer that you want to mask and and hit the mask button with the selection visible, done :)

Now if you had a transparent layer and solid areas you could group your layer to this layer, works kind like a mask, but you can have multiple elements in one place, works like a conteiner.

I hope this helps,
dg

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.