PDA

View Full Version : Question about Houdini Job market

QuentinB
05-07-2012, 09:15 PM
I've been doing most of my 3d work in c4d for the last several years, and before that I worked in max and softimage a bit. For a long while now I've wanted to get into Houdini, however, I'm based in NY right now and rarely see postings for Houdini work.

Does any one have a suggestion about how one could go about finding Houdini work and what one should focus on starting out? I know, its a really hard question to answer but I would love to dive head first into the program.

olson
05-08-2012, 02:49 PM
Download and install Houdini Apprentice (free and for non-commercial use) and tinker with it for a while if you haven't already. For $99 there's Houdini Apprentice HD which allows rendering without watermarks and higher resolution (still for non-commercial use).

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_download&Itemid=208&task=apprentice

There are lots of learning resources on their site that should get you started. There's a full list of stuff on the right side.

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=192&Itemid=351

There are frequent job postings on various forums and industry groups. Though I don't see many entry level opportunities for Houdini users through those channels, most postings are looking for someone to come in and turn out shots immediately (but there are a few entry level postings here and there).

Internships and apprenticeships are the best way to get hands-on experience if that is a workable option for you. Regardless of how you go about learning it and getting up to speed, learning Houdini when you have someone sitting next to you to ask questions makes it go a hell of a lot faster and smoother.

rurik
05-08-2012, 08:26 PM
If you have Houdini knowledge, make yourself known to SideFX. They are probably interested in knowing about NY based Houdini artists..

QuentinB
05-09-2012, 01:36 AM
Thanks for the replies ! Hmmm I'd do an apprenticeship but unfortunately I'm not sure how to go about getting one haha. Plus with my normal work, I'm not sure there is time. I already work in the field right now via c4d and Ae at the moment. The only choice I have is to learn on my own. I have used houdini before, but never to do anything complete. I dabbled quite a bit, and was gaining ground. However a busy spell came and I let it go :(

jcgizmo
05-09-2012, 03:36 PM
Like other industries, many (Houdini) jobs are never posted. It is the connections one makes and the impressions that one leaves that often lead to artists moving about.
If you continue to learn and post from time to time to the forums at odforce.net or sidefx.com then you'll start to build your network.
Also, a good artist or TD can often influence the tools that the employer will get. So if you show you can do something in Houdini twice as fast or twice as good - and your employer values you...
Tools are important, but the skill and dedication of the artist is more important.

QuentinB
05-10-2012, 02:27 PM
All good points :) However, I'm freelance and have never worked staff, so it is a little more difficult to persuade.

I'm thinking about getting into fxphd and taking the courses they have on houdini. At least as a starting point. There's also ******. But the point is to get working in it and start on a path of getting known by the community, right? That way at least someone knows I'm out there and can do the do lol.

QuentinB
05-16-2012, 05:04 PM
Those First step webinars on the sidefx site are extremely helpful ! :)

CGTalk Moderation
05-16-2012, 05:04 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.