PDA

View Full Version : Landscape CGI showreel

cyphyr
05-07-2012, 01:54 PM
Here is a link to my landscape CGI showreel, let me know what you think. Any feedback is always useful.

Richard Fraser Showreel 2012 (https://vimeo.com/41658342) Vimeo
Richard Fraser Showreel 2012 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEvK4gQr7hs&feature=plcp) YouTube

Best watched in HD with the sound on.

Cheers and thanks for watching.

Richard Fraser

cyphyr
05-14-2012, 01:45 PM
So not a single comment after a week and over a hundred views.

Is it so bad, total unredemable and a complete waste of anyone's time to comment?

Maybe its so outstanding that it puts everyone else's work into insignificant shame.

Maybe its the lack of a transforming robot, hasn't got a car or a half naked badly proportioned female in it.

Quite honestly I don't know. It's in the right section, the work is bought and paid for so is finished.

Surely it's not because its procedurally produced, now that really would be silly.

Oh well, lesson sort of learnt (actually what was the lesson?)

cheers

Richard

AsaMovshovitz
05-14-2012, 09:27 PM
great showreel, i thought it was very impressive and the work you did for 422 is great,

cheers,

Asa

mloranc
05-14-2012, 10:59 PM
I personally enjoyed the second half of the demo reel much more than the first. The jungle scene and on was more exciting for me than the evaporating water levels over large landscapes. In fact, opening with a planet probably caused several to drop the video there. It is probably the most overdone object out there because procedural or not, it can be duplicated with a simple sphere and texture map. Plus, the problem with the large landscapes is that they've been done... a lot. Vue, Terragen, etc. have cornered that market and made them just as common as transforming robots, cars, or half naked, badly proportioned females.

It's good to be proud of your work (we're all narcissists at heart) but don't alienate the people you are seeking acknowledgement from with your posts. I honestly feel if your reel were revised and flipped in order of pieces, then you would have gotten the praise that you expected. The work and effort is there but your presentation is off.

cyphyr
05-15-2012, 12:54 AM
Thanks for the replies. Your right of course, I am as narcissistic as the next guy, I was just a little surprised at the lack of response. I had hoped my post would be read "tongue in cheek", well at least somewhat. So my apologies.
I was putting the professional work first as I felt that was the more important but I take your point about reordering the reel. I agree about the planet although it was used in a show.
I don't actually see many landscape showreels at all but when they are done in the big mobiles they're very impressive indeed, Sucker Punch, Avatar, Terra Nova, Pirates of the Caribbean etc.
Thanks again
Richard

CGTalk Moderation
05-15-2012, 12:54 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.