PDA

View Full Version : Family Guy - back from the dead...?

AJ
11-23-2003, 10:33 AM
Oh how I hope this happens:

In a sign of the growing importance of DVD sales to Hollywood, 20th Century Fox is considering a plan to resume production of Family Guy, a sometimes crude animated comedy that the Fox network took off the air more than 18 months ago.

http://www.usatoday.com/usatonline/20031119/5691566s.htm

:scream:

t-toe
11-23-2003, 03:47 PM
man, it's so funny how Fox doesn't realize that the reason the show became popular is because Cartoon Network knew how to advertise it. unlike Fox, who just expected it to do amazingly with little or no promotion whatsoever save for the very first episode.

Ckerr812
11-23-2003, 05:41 PM
I think the reason Family guy didn't do so well at the begginning is because it offended everyone! Light hearted as it maybe,some people take things way to seriously.

Seth Macfarlane is about my age..wee! So I chalk some of that up to youth :) ...but what he should of done, was wait till he had a loyal audience like south Park/ and the simpsons, then go in with all the contravesial jokes, so people woundn't get offeneded as easily.

Like I actually stoped watching the show, after Peter Griffin said "CANADA SUCKS"....lol Yea, I got offended, but hell, what I didn't realize how dumb I was, because the person that wrote that show is Canadian (from montreal)..lol and it was one of those inside jokes.

Anyways, long story short, I hope it comes back, it was a real funny show, but I think it was misunderstood at the time as being a Simpsons knock off.

tjnyc
11-23-2003, 06:31 PM
Offended? This is Fox we are talking about, you know the people who brought such shows as "When animals attack", "Who wants to marry a millionaire" and of course the scam episode of "Joe Millionaire" that had all the soccer mom's out for blood. Fox knows how to offend people, they just can't figure out quality over crap.

bentllama
11-23-2003, 08:09 PM
I have been known to black out from hysterical fits of laughter, where I laughed so hard I could not get sufficient oxygen and subsequently rendered myself unconscious.

While I did not blackout from Family Guy, it has given me MANY close calls...

damn it is a funny and clever show...

PLEASE BRING IT BACK

RockinAkin
11-23-2003, 10:19 PM
I'm thrilled with the idea of new Family Guy episodes, but I hope that it doesn't get itself in a position where it's been around so long that the show loses quality - like what's happened to the Simpsons.

heavyness
11-24-2003, 01:49 AM
"that's friggin' awsome"

i so hope it comes back, but i wish someone else beside Fox was funding it [like Cartoon Network]. Fox blew it [same w/ Futurama], they shouldn't get to be the cool guy who brings it back.

but, i would rather see it any which way.

erevan3d
11-24-2003, 03:36 AM
True about losing quality with the simpsons, but they began to slip around season 12, and the reason was that the writers were being changed. Simpsons was at its golden age beginning with seasons 3-4 and on. Family Guy is a completely different format of comedy. The simpsons episodes these days are trying their hand at that style, but it just isn't working for them. Bring on more family guy, but I'd say air it on a more respected channel such as Comedy Central of Cartoon Network, Fox doesn't deserve a second chance with this goldmine.

t-toe
11-24-2003, 01:52 PM
hehe, it's always funny to me when folks from a country get offended when a comedy show says their country sucks... I hear that about the U.S. all the time, and while it might be true, I wouldn't rather live anywhere else at the moment. maybe one day, but for now, here is fine. so what if people joke around and say my country sucks? hehe...

Hans_jasper
11-24-2003, 01:56 PM
I have to say, Family guy is one of the funniest shows in the world, that i have seen. It is now coming back (it was showing old episodes, but now i think new ones) On teletoon (ch. 50 here) at 9:00 et everynight of the week. i watched it last night and it was a new rerun but funny at the least. im glad there is so many people that find this show funny cause its an amazing show that should be aired more often.

GO FAMILY GUY :bowdown: :thumbsup:

Spankspeople
11-24-2003, 03:29 PM
Hehe, when Peter ended that one episode on "Canada sucks" I nearly fell off the couch laughing(which is more difficult than you'd think, since I was lying down and the coffee table was pushed up against it giving me a good three feet to roll before falling off)... That's one reason I like South Park so much... the constant jabs at Canada.

Let's just hope that Fox doesn't do to Family Guy what they did to The Critic... they seem to have made a habit of cancelling pretty much anything that isn't The Simpsons, and that I find quite bothersome...

Ah well. Maybe people will start to realize that television series to far better on DVD than they do on TV these days and start just releasing things on DVD... Wouldn't mind that in the slightest.

Gwot
11-24-2003, 04:34 PM
Family Guy rocks. Given the choice to watch a Family Guy episode vs a Simpsons episode showing at the same time, I'd choose Family Guy any time.

Spankspeople
11-24-2003, 06:24 PM
Lots of people would, that's probably why Fox seems to hate it so much. They throw too much money into The Simpsons to allow anything to compete with it, so they play Family Guy when they're certain it won't disrupt their Simpsonsing. They did the same with Futurama and The Critic... *grumble*

AJ
11-24-2003, 06:41 PM
And perversely, my favourite episode of the Simpsons is the one featuring the Critic...

Ah well - they'll never learn.

Ckerr812
11-24-2003, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by t-toe
so what if people joke around and say my country sucks? hehe...

"While I May Not Agree With What You Say, I Will Defend With my Life Your Right To Say It" Peter Griffin

http://members.lycos.co.uk/stewieworld/pics/no.jpg

samgrice
11-25-2003, 02:29 PM
what about the dvd movie that was in talks about a couple of months ago?

a dvd movie and a new series, i think i need to go change my kecks.

sweeeeet!:bounce:

Numloch
11-26-2003, 10:37 AM
So sad to learn that Family guy had been axed, being in the UK you never hear these things. However I am overjoyed to hear of the possibility of it's return.

I have the first 3 series on DVD and I never tire of watching it over and over. Nothing cheers me up more than the sound of Lois' dulcit tones in that opening theme "it seems to me, that all you see, is violence in movies and sex on TV....."

Family guy rocks, it is the funniest show on earth, even my cartoon hating wife loves it. I mean where else can you find characters like Lois, Peter, Stewie, Brian and Quagmire and Asian correspondant Trisha Nakatawa?

Gigidygigidygigidygigidy. Awlriiight!

erevan3d
11-26-2003, 02:39 PM
^You must mean Takanawa.:)

NUKE-CG
11-26-2003, 02:46 PM
Hmmm interesting, I personally think the Simpsons are just as good, and some a lot better, than the older episodes.. Homer is now essentially the most focused of the 5, and for good reason.. he is $&*#@ hilarious, Bart had his days 5 years ago, since then.. all Homer.

The Family Guy I would love to see resumed, it was like a mix of Simpsons, and Southpark, good ole' tongue-in-cheek comedy.

Also.. nothing wrong with dissing countries, The 'Bart vs Australia' Simpsons ep was hilarious, hassling their beer, politics, best-to-be-forgotten movie stars, even the criminal founded joke was inserted, classic! but.. they should have hassled the Crocodile Hunter, gawd I hate that guy.

:wip:
:bounce:

ambient-whisper
11-26-2003, 02:59 PM
simpsons better now? you joking? the last number of odd episodes made very little sense. it felt like your watching it and just thought to yourself... wtf?!...huh?!

ha ha ha ha.... well, you know what laughter sounds like.

apparantely the new writers forgot.

Numloch
11-26-2003, 04:48 PM
Meant I Takanawa, Sorry I didn't say dyslexic was I.

"LUCKY THERE'S A FAMILY GUY"

Neil
11-26-2003, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by ambient-whisper
simpsons better now? you joking? the last number of odd episodes made very little sense. it felt like your watching it and just thought to yourself... wtf?!...huh?!

I couldn't agree more. Except for me, i've been thinking that way since the past 3 years or so. The plots are totally random and go from one setup to the other with no transition anymore.
And I've seen about all the reruns on FOX, so i've pretty much just given up on Simpsons.

Futurama did a great job IMO, of filling those shoes and i felt too that that got pulled a little early.
Besides South Park, does anyone watch any other cartoons/puppet crap that Comedy Central does? I saw the Kid Notorious previews and never even gave it a second thought.

Daolohua CnC
11-26-2003, 08:27 PM

while i haven't watched a simpsons episode in a while, i caught the last on where the simpsons go to england. I thought it was quite funny (i especially found the play on "my fair lady"'s mr. higgins and col. pickering start making out hilarious). not to mention they had like 5 big names guest star.

However i am in complete agreement that family guy and futurama got canned waaaay too early

heavyness
11-27-2003, 12:36 AM
i think the Simpsonís are still funny.

[history lesson]

the reason Futurama got canned is because Matt Groening wanted to stop the Simpsons and continue with Futurama. But Fox felt different and flexed its muscles. they took futurama and killed it by putting it on against 60 minutes [very high rating show] on Sundays at 7:30 [if a football game ran long, Futurama got axed...]. Matt Groening has countered with his only weapon, the Simpsons. in several shows they show Fox Execs being killed, plot lines being reused, and even Smithers coming to the front door saying "Maggie Shot Mr. Burns!"

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.