PDA

View Full Version : MTV dubs "Volcano High"

wedge
11-23-2003, 09:29 AM
http://www.kungfucinema.com/news/2003-08-18-04.htm

From what I gather it's basically the live action equivalent of one of them teen-oriented anime where everyone in school knows martial arts. Sort of like in Karate Kid. But cooler. And with CG. And stuff.

MTV will dub it into english and add hip hop to it.

zappenduster
11-23-2003, 02:23 PM
i got this movie since hmm 1or maybe 2 years on dvd (korean special edition) its really fun to watch this movie

its a mix hard to describe maybe american pie meets bruce lee meets battle royal =)
i hope they dont screw this up cause hip hop soundtrack ??? and also a synchro can really turn good movies bad

are there any further infos if known actors will speak the persons ?

some details and a trailer can be found here
asiandb (http://www.asiandb.com/browse/movie_detail.pfm?code=5239&mode=review)

http://www.asiandb.com/data/photo/org/1613.jpg

alphatron
11-23-2003, 05:35 PM
Oh brother. Saw this back at the Toronto Film fest a few years ago. Found it really enjoyable and inventive.. up until the weak ending. I do recommend it though. Although NOT dubbed in English with a hip-hop soundtrack. F*cking bastardization.

urgaffel
11-23-2003, 05:39 PM
Have to agree with alphatron. The movie doesn't need a new track with bad rnb and hip hop >_< Dubbing I can understand, but I'd be happier without it since dubbing usually means worthlessness +45...

tjnyc
11-23-2003, 06:18 PM
MTV isn't just redoing the soundtrack with rap and stuff, but also being voiced by rap and hip-hop singers, like MethodMan, Mya, and so on and edited to "suit" US audience. MTV's wants to butcher this film and turn it into a mockery like 70's "chop-socky" films.

JulianHo
11-23-2003, 08:22 PM
Is there a wonder why I hate American dubs?

*cries* They butchered "Ultraman Tiga", for goodness's sake. :(

Could it be that American audience couldn't stomach the idea of watching a show without raping it to pieces?

Rei Ayanami
11-23-2003, 09:00 PM
I hate dubbs to, i allways get DVD's so i can watch things with original language.

*sigh*

i see all these movies, and i dont have any money to get em!

alphatron
11-23-2003, 09:04 PM
Dubbing is certainly one evil.. but recutting it? It's already quite fast-paced anyways.

ower
11-23-2003, 09:51 PM
I don't know.. if the music is anything like the trailer.. I could go without both, rap and the asian judas priest sounding band.

Neil
11-24-2003, 03:11 PM
Well dubbing import movies is nothing new... but if you can't turn it back to Korean, then we got a problem there.

The movie was pretty fun to watch and that Kendo class had some real hotties :drool:

I'll just ignore the typical 'really really hard to beat enemy, until main character gets near death and really really mad, then can beat anyone'

white dragon
11-25-2003, 09:04 AM
This film is coming out in the UK on the Premier Asia DVD range, they're run by the same people that do the Hong Kong Legend DVDs which are always great quality and pact with really nice extras. I'd personally wait for that version if you want to see the film, I think it's out before the end of the year.

Neil
12-02-2003, 06:04 PM
Finally saw the MTV preview for it today while channel surfing.

And at the end they say "an MTV original movie" ...uhh... so if you put a new soundtrack to an existing movie, it's now yours?

white dragon
12-02-2003, 07:04 PM
*runs off to put a drum n bass soundtrack on Finding Nemo*

AnimBot
12-03-2003, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by JulianHo
Is there a wonder why I hate American dubs?

*cries* They butchered "Ultraman Tiga", for goodness's sake. :(

Could it be that American audience couldn't stomach the idea of watching a show without raping it to pieces?

Nope not at all but MTV doesn't give the american audience enough credit. Besides it's only logical that they make rappers and singers star in it how else could it fit under music television :rolleyes:

urgaffel
12-03-2003, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by white dragon
*runs off to put a drum n bass soundtrack on Finding Nemo*
Dieselboy Dieselboy Dieselboy! :bounce:

Neil
12-03-2003, 02:37 PM
No to get OT, but:

)EIB(

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.