PDA

View Full Version : Very disappointing

notsosure
05-06-2012, 10:40 AM
There are 226 higher educational courses BA-BSc in 3d/animation in the UK if one searches on UCAS.

Take a look at "Top 100 Schools for Animation, Gaming, and Design"

http://animationcareerreview.com/articles/top-100-schools-animation-gaming-and-design?page=0,0

Out of the 100 schools world wide only 4 schools in the UK are mentioned.

Some people on the forum should find the above link interesting.

taxguy
05-06-2012, 10:58 AM
I don't know where this list came from ,but there are a number of very good schools not on the list. I wouldn't fret about the rather small number of schools listed from UK. Moreover, what is there, such as Bournemouth, is supposed to be top quality.

notsosure
05-06-2012, 11:42 AM
Yep and they (Bournemouth) came 19th on the list.....

However........ I do believe that there might be some hidden truth in this list...regarding quality of teaching, student progression and employment expectations.

taxguy
05-06-2012, 01:22 PM
Notsosure, I don't know what standards were used in compiling this list. Thus, I am uncertain about its veracity or even its applicability. It is a nice overall presentation of good schools,but I do think that they both left some good schools out and that the rankings themselves are questionable. For example, MIT doesn't have an animation major. They have a few courses related to motion and that's it..

Also, choosing a school is about fit. Some are very student centric and some aren't. Some are very 2d oriented such as Calarts and some are very computer art/3d oriented such as Ringling. Some are experimental oriented such as SAIC and some aren't. Some schools are very game oriented, such as Carnegie Melon, some are very movie oriented, such as most west coast schools, and some are very advertising and special effects oriented such as NY schools like SVA. Again, you have to take this list with a grain of salt. Students have to evaluate these schools as to their interests and fit.

azamux
05-06-2012, 11:39 PM
here is the girls e-mail who wrote it robin_8000@yahoo.com ask her what's up
Found here http://shownd.com/robinwilding/about
To me it looks like she did 3 hours of research online and slapped together an article for a paycheck.

notsosure
05-07-2012, 10:48 AM
Yep just sent her an e-mail for her to explain herself.

I wonder if I get a reply?

notsosure
05-07-2012, 12:39 PM
I got a reply....

email I sent...

"There are 226 higher educational courses BA-BSc in 3D/animation in the UK if one searches on UCAS.
Take a look at "Top 100 Schools for Animation, Gaming, and Design" (your article)
To me it looks like you did 3 hours of research online and slapped together an article for a paycheck.
I find that colleges like Bristol UWE to be more obscure than Teesside yet it is not mentioned at all. I linked your article to
http://forums.cgsociety.org
and they do not think it is a good representation world wide of colleges doing 3d animation.
Can you please explain yourself?
Many Thanks"

email reply...............

"Well thanks for your incredible, uninformed attack. I presume that you work for or are affiliated with another school, thereby expressing your own bias. Otherwise you wouldn't need the feel to attack and insult me so furiously. Perhaps examine your own bias before judging others uneducatedly about theirs.
The list was created through an industry survey, school ratings, placement rates and student reviews.
This project took me two weeks to create in all and I assure you the few hundred dollars I earned making it certainly shows it wasn't done "for a paycheque".
Your uneducated attack shows me the lack of schooling you must posses, otherwise you wouldn't write such a slanderous and biased email.
Please do erase my contact details from your memory because I will not dignify your silly assault again.
Cheers,
Robin"

OUCH!

KrzysztofFus
05-07-2012, 03:24 PM
SVA isn't on the list. List is automatically useless.

taxguy
05-07-2012, 03:35 PM
krzystofus, SVA is number 10 on the list.

notsosure, I read over your email to Robin. Frankly, you deserved the response that you got. Your email should have been a LOT more diplomatically worded. You could have simply asked her for her methodolgy etc.

moidphotos
05-08-2012, 11:18 PM
Personally I think a look at April's 3D World magazine would show a better representation of the best CG Schools in the world. Also the list was obviously drawn from contacting US companies and not UK ones, or there would've been a lot more UK schools mentioned.

conbom
05-09-2012, 06:19 AM
"There are 226 higher educational courses BA-BSc in 3D/animation in the UK if one searches on UCAS.
Take a look at "Top 100 Schools for Animation, Gaming, and Design" (your article)
To me it looks like you did 3 hours of research online and slapped together an article for a paycheck.
I find that colleges like Bristol UWE to be more obscure than Teesside yet it is not mentioned at all. I linked your article to
http://forums.cgsociety.org
and they do not think it is a good representation world wide of colleges doing 3d animation.
Can you please explain yourself?
Many Thanks"

email reply...............

"Well thanks for your incredible, uninformed attack. I presume that you work for or are affiliated with another school, thereby expressing your own bias. Otherwise you wouldn't need the feel to attack and insult me so furiously. Perhaps examine your own bias before judging others uneducatedly about theirs.
The list was created through an industry survey, school ratings, placement rates and student reviews.
This project took me two weeks to create in all and I assure you the few hundred dollars I earned making it certainly shows it wasn't done "for a paycheque".
Your uneducated attack shows me the lack of schooling you must posses, otherwise you wouldn't write such a slanderous and biased email.
Please do erase my contact details from your memory because I will not dignify your silly assault again.
Cheers,
Robin"

OUCH!

LOL she came across as really defensive, a lot of power verbs in that response, which seemed a bit uncalled for. Your mail was slightly cheeky but hardly an "assault" Its an interesting snapshot but that's about it, the rating seems somewhat arbitrary, some courses are good for certain things and not others so how can you lob them all into one ungainly category. The only fair ranking would be to do it all by individual course and explicitly state the criteria for ranking. Journalists love top tens etc because they are easy and entertaining to read, a simple answer to a complex question.

Say for example a concept Designer, the best course by far to do that imo is Entertainment Design at Art Center in the US, yet its ranked near the bottom of the list, go to Bournemouth to learn to be a concept designer and it will be decidedly average yet its near the top.

Not only that the site is FULL of top tens, "ten types of software worth knowing", why bother :curious: ?

http://animationcareerreview.com/articles/10-types-3d-animation-software-worth-knowing

I think poser is a load of shite, why the hell is that listed!? Poser is more worth knowing than ZBrush, photoshop even!!

It should be renamed to "10 types of software I personally like" That's just the start.

taxguy
05-09-2012, 12:58 PM
Yes I agree that although I felt she did a good job, her rankings were questionable because different schools have different focuses. Some are very game oriented and some are 2d vs 3d oriented. MIT, as good a school as it is, only has a few offerings and I think most of these are graduate offerings. T hey don't have an animation major per se. She also completely left out UCLA, which has a very well known program for animation. Moreover, some schools are very student centric and some aren't.Thus, you have to take her rankings with a grain of salt.

mrcain
05-09-2012, 01:50 PM
I got a reply....

email I sent...

I

Too be honest mate, I think this is pretty rude actually. Her response was justified.

digital verve
05-09-2012, 02:18 PM
notsosure. Your email was rude and she probably won't be happy discovering you have pasted her private email to you on a public forum.

taxguy
05-09-2012, 02:35 PM
notsosure. Your email was rude and she probably won't be happy discovering you have pasted her private email to you on a public forum.

Actually, I don't think she will care. However, I do agree that nonsosure's email to her assumed that Robin was a money-grubbing jackass who only put in "3 hours of research." I don't blame her for being defensive and taking offense. Notsosure's email wasn't diplomatic to say the least.

leigh
05-09-2012, 03:28 PM
Notsosure, don't come here and paste private correspondence on this forum. It's childish and spiteful. Not to mention the fact that your own email to her makes you look like a jackass.

Grow up.