PDA

View Full Version : First Model Post (a Sword)

Rytel
11-23-2003, 06:32 AM
I just kept on watching the little Cinematic action of Human End Campaign from Warcraft 3 where corrupted by the evil sword Frostmourne Prince Arthas comes back home and kills his father, the king(man i love Blizzard!). anyways... i loved that sword so much that i just had to whip something up myself.
this is my first model ever posted. it's still pretty much a WIP, i'm still working on the handle and of course my texturing sux. here's where i need your help. i want to create a nice looking worn and scratched surface for my sword but i dont really know how. any hints or tips greatly appreciated. thanx. cheers

:beer: and here's the picture

leigh
11-23-2003, 06:51 AM
Looking cool - can we see a wireframe as well?

I don't think that scratches and wear and tear would really suit Frostmourne myself... but if you are really dead set on creating some textures like that, it really is quite simple. Start off simply by creating a bump map, make it high res, and use Photoshops Pencil tool to create loads of criss-crossing scratches. Then simply use that as a template to alter the other surface attributes textures, as the scratches would affect things like reflection, spec, etc as well.

I think you need to adjust your chrome shading slightly - the reflection is a little high, in my opinion :)

Hehehe I keep hearing the phrase "Frostmourne hungers!"

Rytel
11-23-2003, 07:33 AM
alright! thanx alot Leigh.

maybe soon i'll motivate myself to create just that (a bump map), as i am known for starting something and not finishing it but that's definitely something i'm going to try and work on.

and yeah, the reflections are very high on my surface. if i'm not mistaken it something close to 40%. guess i'ma have to reduce that a little.
here are some wireframes you asked for. they're extremely low quality due to cgtalk's attachment requirements.

Rytel
11-23-2003, 07:34 AM
and here's another one

Rytel
11-23-2003, 09:39 AM
here's yet another render of the sword. i played around with the textures a bit but now it looks more like a toy. i just like the angle on that one.

Facial Deluxe
11-23-2003, 10:36 AM
I like the first pic very much. Like the texture and hdr lighting. My only tiny crit would be that some parts could be harder, but that's personnal taste. Good work !

Dreamwave
11-23-2003, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by Leigh
Hehehe I keep hearing the phrase "Frostmourne hungers!"

damnit Leigh, now I hear it all the time as well ;)

on topic: looks great, I really like the first pic, it's not bad at all for a first texture, just a bit too reflective like Leigh already said, but it's very good indeed!

"Now Frostmourne!"
(this reminds me I still have to finish the last mission in The Frozen Throne :))

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.