PDA

View Full Version : stupid dell why do you have to bother me so?

t-man152
11-23-2003, 07:30 AM
I haave a dell laptop I reinstalled windows and for some reason dell has an icon in the start menu that I cant erase or get rid of. can someone tell me how I can do it.

singularity2006
11-23-2003, 07:59 AM
What kind of install did you do and from what CD? Dell's generally use a restore CD these days for Windows so of course when you use it, u'll get all the junk they originally put on there in the first place. Now if you had a standalone retail version of Windows and did it, did you make sure to format everything before installing?

t-man152
11-23-2003, 04:17 PM
yeah I used the restore cd and Im not thinking of getting a new version of windows xp when I have a perfectly fine version exept for that little problem. its more of an eye soar than a problem I mean they should not force that icon onto me.

matty429
11-23-2003, 05:25 PM
Go to C:\documents and settings\all users\start menu

look for it in there...

singularity2006
11-23-2003, 07:19 PM
Yeah, the restore CD will always put that icon there. Is the icon something embedded in the Start Menu or is it an icon that is clickable? If so, yeah, u can delete it. from c:\documents and settings\... etc. Otherwise, there are registry edits that can change the icon on the start menu button itself.

Garma
11-24-2003, 10:28 PM
probably a register setting.. If the icon was put in the "all users" section it would still be easily deletable as an admin (which, strange enough every user created at install, standard is)

t-man152
11-25-2003, 01:50 AM
yeah its embeded into the start menu I trid to delete it evey way I can but it just doesnt work. its ok ill just live with it until I get a new computer wich will be soon I hope

singularity2006
11-25-2003, 05:59 AM
go to www.winguides.com. There is an article somewhere in there that shows you how to change those kinds of pictures on the start menu. I just don't recall which frekaing one it was. There are so many. :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.