PDA

View Full Version : VFS or VANARTS?

dilen
05-05-2012, 08:41 AM
Hey guys,

I am pretty confused between these 2 schools. Well I wil let you all know that I want to be a Character TD. So please help me out which school would suite me best?

Advantages & Disadvantages of each please.

Thank you in advance.

D.

Zoober
05-23-2012, 06:40 PM
If you want to be a TD, take some intro courses on scripting and object oriented programming, pick up a Python book and check out something like www.riggingdojo.com

ShadowM8
05-25-2012, 04:39 PM
Unfortunately neither of those schools would offer you much in terms of learning how to rig well, let alone any advanced concepts that you need if you want to study this discipline in depth such as mathematics, physics and software engineering.

If I had to make a list of a perfect graduate for a Character TD with a great future it would be someone with a degree in applied computer science, strong mathematics skills with emphasis in linear algebra, calculus and computational geometry, and finally a minor in fine art with emphasis on sculpture. Throw in a few kinesiology classes to improve the anatomy knowledge while you're at it too.

But that would be the ideal. In reality going to VFS or VanArts would give you a good solid foundation in CG, it will also give you a year to work on your skills and demo reel. You just have to be prepared to have very limited resources in terms of knowledge and practical skills from professors when it comes to rigging and related disciplines, but you can supplement it with outside studies.

I went to VFS and studied modeling. Eventually I transitioned into the TD and while what I learned at VFS is definitely valuable there are a lot of things that I had to learn on my own that I wish I had formal education for. Especially the fundamental CS stuff!

CGTalk Moderation
05-25-2012, 04:39 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.