mucksmear
11-23-2003, 04:03 AM
Hello, hoping someone here can help:

A friend has the following setup:

G4
OS 9.2.1
ATI 128 (shipped with G4)
ATI Xclaim 3D plus (added recently)

Problem is when we hookup an Apple multiscan 17" crt to the Xclaim card, we only get 640 x 480 (and no other choices).

I thought it might be the card, so I swapped in one of my own ATI 128 cards (that I know works) and same problem.

We've installed the latest relavent drivers from ATI.

Something about the card incorrectly identifying the type of monitor attached?

The monitor is capable of displaying at least 1024x786 (which is what we're aiming at).

Any help/insight most appreciated.
Thanks
-E

rocarpen
11-23-2003, 05:11 AM
Something similar happens with my second monitor, a 17" hooked up to the Radeon 7000 in my G4's PCI slot. If I don't have the monitor turned on at startup and while the OS is loading up, my choice of resolutions are stuck very low, 640x480 by default, low refresh rate (60 or so).

My advice (and odds are you're already doing this): make sure the monitor is on during start up.

mucksmear
11-23-2003, 05:37 AM
Thanks rocarpen,

You are right though, the monitor was already powered up when we booted and still stuck in 640/480

-E

beaker
11-24-2003, 01:22 AM
Ati Xclaim is a really, really, really old video card. It probably doesn't have enough video ram to go higher than that. How much Vram does it have?(2 meg I would guess)

mucksmear
11-24-2003, 01:30 AM
Xclaim 3d plus - I think it was at least 8 megs, but I don't know. Will have to check.

Point is, I had the same problem when I swapped in my own ATI 128 card, of which I know I could get 1024 x 768, with that same monitor, although it was on an 8600 instead of this G4.

thanks
-E

onscreen
11-25-2003, 02:35 AM
Ok guys...
there is nothing wrong with the Video card. The problem is on the monitor itself.

Usually monitors like Viewsonic, Sony, Mitshubishi, Sharp (certain models), Samsung (Certain models), LG were one of the toplisted monitors that report working fine with max resolution in the powermacs.

As far as i know, Apple multiscan 17" works fine with ONLY beige color powermacs. I did try to plug it to my Powermac G4 (the current model i am on right now) and it only shows 640x480 just like you..:surprised

mucksmear
11-25-2003, 04:23 AM
Interesting, I wonder why this is so. I would have thought that since the monitor worked fine with the card, it wouldn't matter what machine I used the monitor on as long as the card went with it.

thanks,
-E

beaker
11-25-2003, 05:53 AM
The apple monitor wouldn't happen to have an old DB15 connector on it and you bought an adapter for it to goto HD15? If so then it is probably your adapter. I remember having an adapter that had little dip switches and you had to change it to different settings to get different resolutions. Would that be the case?

mucksmear
11-25-2003, 06:19 AM
Correct, the monitor cable has a DB-15 on the computer end, but ATI card has an HD-15.

However, the ATI in my 8600, as well as the nvidia in my PC also have HD-15 connectors, and this monitor had no problems using the simple HD-15 to DB-15 adapter.

I had thought about the adapter with the dipswitches on it, but frankly I haven't seen one of those since the late 80's.

There was some hinting to the fact that the G4 was treating the apple 1705 monitor as a "fixed frequency" monitor, of which I'm pretty sure it is NOT. The question then would be how to tell the computer what type of monitor it is connected to.

My friend tells me she tried to zapp the PRAM, but I cannot verify this yet.

thanks for all the suggestions folks.
-E

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.