PDA

View Full Version : Getting rid of specularity

TheWriter
11-23-2003, 04:15 AM
I have a few photos of cars which I am trying to uv map to my models. The problem is, there is always that horrid sunlight spec causing white swashed out areas. I decided to use color swapper tool, but all it seems to realy do is a simple hack where it changes the hue, and unfortunatly, I seem to be able to change white to any color EXCEPT Red, which is the color I am targetting for.

Any work arounds, or other ideas?

theGuest
11-23-2003, 05:30 AM
mmm... not sure of the exact condition of your source files, but...

how about sampling the red and putting it on a layer above the car, and blending it in using some tools, like Blur/Smudge...?

or...

how about adding a new layer above the car, and using the Clone tool (set to "Use all layers"), and covering over the speculars that way...?

:bounce:

halo
11-23-2003, 12:31 PM
try converting to LAB and painting in the Luminance channel with sampled greys from that channel

Leovenous
11-24-2003, 07:41 AM
I agree with halo, though I would like to know why he thinks it should be an edited LAB channel rather than RGB or something.

halo
11-24-2003, 10:21 AM
RGB channels basically carry luminance in every channel, there fore if you want to make an area darker you have to fiddle with 3 channels and if the areas are really burnt then the "thickness" of the colour may not be great, ie theres little detail there. However LAB carries all the brightness data in one channel, the Luminance channel, so essentially all you need to do is paint in this channel, the colour is held in the other 2 channels, so it is easier to hold the colours whilst changing brightness.

Try a test on a cloud image or something, you'll find that within reason, your able to paint "sky" over the clouds with just one channel.

Leovenous
11-24-2003, 08:48 PM
Ah it becomes crystal clear. Thanks. :thumbsup:

halo
11-24-2003, 11:47 PM
doesnt work all the time, but for when RGB starts to get a little pushed its worth a shot in LAB if brightness is the problem

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.