PDA

View Full Version : Enviornment : matte painting

shaangfx
11-23-2003, 02:41 AM
hi guys - finally the hosting is fixed

this matte work was done for our short project - 15 secs. this matte shot is for 3 secs. the atmosphere requirenment was deep dark and cloudy with blue feel. the rain will be composited later in after effects or combustion.

this is concpet we came up with.

low resolution :

http://www.andreas-men.de/project/shaan/finaljpg22.jpg

shaangfx
11-23-2003, 03:11 AM
his resolution

http://www.andreas-men.de/project/shaan/finaljpg2.jpg

keight
11-23-2003, 05:32 AM
You've certainly got the dark and rainy atmosphere. The clouds look very like the storm system my husband got shots of awhile back while we raced the rain home.

shaangfx
11-23-2003, 07:34 AM
rainy and stormy zZz
thanks for ur comment.

by the way, on which way did you see while you raced back.

Dusan
11-23-2003, 08:20 AM
I like these two images very much! Very nice work indeed! They remind me of matte paintings of LoTR - similar atmosphere :)
Excuse my silly question, but how do you create images like this? (I have no idea.) Is it all hand-painted or is it also somehow computer-aided? (I particularly mean the clouds and rocks and such things). Also, what software do you use? Thanks very much.

picksel
11-23-2003, 12:29 PM
:eek: I prefer the first image, (I can see any difference!!)
(the special effect for the rain it's weird )
nice work :drool:

keight
11-23-2003, 02:41 PM
shaangfx
by the way, on which way did you see while you raced back.

We were driving west, in the afternoon, and were chasing the leading edge of the system. Lucky us, we were between the storm bands so the freeway wasn't slithery yet. The pics were taken with a digital camera.

viag
11-23-2003, 02:50 PM
nice work , i like the atmosphere !!

Youth
11-23-2003, 04:33 PM
Cool!!!! I really like!

But how can i make Matte Painting? Have you a tutor for Matte Painting?
Thanks in advance!

Bye!

shaangfx
11-23-2003, 09:51 PM
hi guys

thanks for ur comments. i am glad u liked it

youth:
i am a matte painter myselff and still learning a lot in every new matte work i do. its fun. i do have a 5yr tradaitional background behind me and thus that helps a lot. i never had tutor for matte work. all i did is on my own. my school even did not have computers till i graduated at such advance level. all u need is some experience with traditonal painiting and photoshop.

dusan:
this matte work is combinantion of painting and some photograhs to bring it to life. specailly the colouds ( darks one are hand painted the reflection and some part of water too. even the mountain like a tower is hand painted. my pet tool is photoshop.
if u want i can post some more matte works.

chalkeye
11-23-2003, 10:30 PM
awesome man, i want one for desktop!

shaangfx
11-24-2003, 12:40 AM
thanks gfx..!:)

bumskee
11-24-2003, 04:56 AM
it's great!!! how INTENSE is the sky, :thumbsup:
I also like the first one better, second has that diagonal pattern makes it look a lil fake.

yeah post more!

shaangfx
11-24-2003, 05:46 AM
hi bumskee

thanks for your comments. the first is the final matte, while the second one is just an idea for the compositor to understand the feel :)

shaangfx
11-24-2003, 07:10 AM
oki for the desktop guys :

ps: please dont miss use this artwork for commercial or in any other project works. it holds the copyright under the sign productions. thank u.

http://www.andreas-men.de/project/shaan/finaljpg22.jpg

shaangfx
11-24-2003, 09:48 AM
http://www.redrival.com/shaangfx/closeup.jpg

here is an close up look: normally i work in 2000 pixel.
i hope u c the image above : my freespace is lousy

shaangfx
11-24-2003, 06:12 PM
hi milkyman

thanks for ur pm and comments. i got several emails on how was this matte work done. i will soon post a makin of it. :) thanks

milkyman
11-24-2003, 06:32 PM
cheers. nah its just i don't want do the "fanboy" as leonard (forgot how to spell) put it. i would have posted comments but other object and i can do without the hassle.

goodwork

9/10 - nothings perfect.

shaangfx
11-24-2003, 07:39 PM
oki guys here is ,on how i worked on it .

PART 1
http://www.redrival.com/shaangfx/part1matte.jpg

shaangfx
11-25-2003, 01:13 AM
PART 2

http://www.redrival.com/shaangfx/part2matte.jpg

i think i am having trouble with my freespace. can anyone help me for small 2 mb mirror?

shaangfx
11-25-2003, 01:48 AM
argh ! my free space!:blush:

shaangfx
11-25-2003, 02:49 AM
hi i hope finally u c this image

leigh
11-25-2003, 03:23 AM
I really like the paintings (btw I can see the ones on your free host again) :)
I prefer the one without the rain effect though. I also think that perhaps they are a little too overgraded - a little more colour would be nice, instead of the blue/green.

Overall it's nice, but there are a few slight incongruencies with the lighting - like the piece that goes out into the water on the left seems a little too light, especially since the other parts of the image suggest that the shadows should be falling on the side that is facing us.

But you've created a cool mood in these, and that alone makes them good pieces of work.

alancran
11-25-2003, 04:04 AM
really good stuff man!, keep them coming!, i agree with the one with rain, when compositing add the rain...
cant wait to see the finished product!!

Al

shaangfx
11-25-2003, 08:12 AM
thanks leigh

yeah the need of the production was blue. the rain effect is just an example for the compositor to get the feel.

thanks al. the work is in progress :)

solbraver
11-25-2003, 07:43 PM
:thumbsup: Great painting. I prefer the one without the directional blur. If you were trying to do a rain effect, it didn't work. Without the effect it is perfect! wonderfull!

shaangfx
11-26-2003, 03:56 AM
thanks solbrever

finally the bandwidth problem is fixed : )

yes the rain effect imageis just an idea or goanl matte paint is without the blur effect

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.