PDA

View Full Version : wip: scene - egypt pillar

jbingman
11-23-2003, 02:08 AM
ok - so I told this buddy of mine I was thinking about getting back into the CG world and he requested a "simple scene, egyptian, not too fancy, a black pillar with a bit of fire or something, kinda dark." He writes up campaigns for roleplay games and such. Not sure where the pic is destined, but good to get my feet wet.

So..I did this up, and he's happy with it. But I'm thinking, naw, I'm new, very rusty, need some good crits and abuse from my peers. I posted this here 'cuz I'm all LW 6.5b (can maybe upgrade for xmas) - so let me know, and be gentle :)

Thanks - Jay
The 1280x1024 can be found here: Pillar Large (http://home.comcast.net/~padawan_learner/pillarfire_large.jpg)

http://home.comcast.net/~padawan_learner/pillarfire_small.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~padawan_learner/pillarfire_wire.jpg

leigh
11-23-2003, 04:26 AM
Interesting scene :)
I think that perhaps your lighting could be a little more dramatic though, since I think that you are possibly going for a dramatic look. Right now you have done a pretty good job of making the pillar a strong focal point, but now you just need to add some drama. Maybe use some volumetrics in your lighting, or something like that :)

It's not entirely obvious what the glowing things are. If they are magical emissions of some sort, perhaps it would be better if they were not elongated? Just a thought.

The shape of the pillar is not typically Egyptian. Perhaps you could go with an obilisk shape, with a pyramidal top? This looks more like an elongated cartouche than a pillar. It's also a pity that apart from the luminous bits, the pillar is so dark. It would be cool to lighten the pillar somewhat so that we have a glimpse of some detail around the glowing inscriptions.

Regarding the inscriptions, you might want to spread them out a little more because they are a bit cramped right now.

A little hint of more detail on the floor would also be nice :)

On a side note, your wireframe is very heavy. You could get away with a lot more polygons, especially if you use subpatches (it looks like you are using normal polys).

jbingman
11-23-2003, 04:39 AM
thanks Leigh! this is exactly what I need to hear. I've had problems with my uv's w/ less polys and obviously went overboard. the side columns (tops), roof line, and well opening are subpatched, but I'll work on cleaning those up and address your other crits.

thanks for your time!

leigh
11-23-2003, 04:44 AM
For this particular scene, UV mapping wouldn't really have been necessary :)
The pillars on the sides could have been done using normal cylindrical mapping, while the main pillar could have used a simple planar projection.
Only use UVs when you absolutely have to ;)

jbingman
11-24-2003, 09:57 PM
thanks again Leigh for your comments! good to get direction! here's an update, changing a little from my previous strategy (for the whole drama and size effect). I still want to work on the textures along the back wall (and fix the oblisk(sp?) alignment) and do something with the roof contour, still don't like it. But I stripped out the uv's and cleaned up the polys everywhere. I'm getting to like the scene a little, but still needs more work. suggestions and abuse welcomed. I'm not too proud to beg LOL.

but here's a question for ya - how is it when I turn on ray trace shadows that my volumetrics vanish in the render? I can crank up the settings to get something - but then start getting ugly results. thinking about going with compositing method.

Thanks!

http://home.comcast.net/~padawan_learner/pillarfire_small2.jpg

Brett H.
11-24-2003, 10:59 PM
This looks much better than the first render. This is a much better shape for the pillar. The columns look great, and the hieroglyphs on the pillar look alot better. I don't like the stark contrast of the yellow on the pyramidal ends.

The texture is stretching on the roof contour. The tiling on the side walls and the floor is just too distracting IMO. The flat part of the ceiling and the back wall definitely need higher-res textures. The source of the light is a bit ambiguous. Is it coming out of the pillar, or the ceiling?

Other than that, I like it. :)

Brett

jbingman
11-24-2003, 11:32 PM
thanks Brett - I'm currently in search of much better hi res texs and I personally hate the ceiling. This has become my own pet project now and looking at everything in detail.

There are 2 lights, a volume light (not showing up for some reason) from the well, and an area light from the top of the pillar for ambience. I just recently ran across some egyptian construction resources specifically on temples and I am looking at those closely for the new ceiling and lighting. hope to post an update soon. But still looking for decent textures.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.