PDA

View Full Version : Poor old Softimage...

RagingBull
05-03-2012, 11:35 AM
If you've not seen this - have a quick read:

http://www.cgchannel.com/2012/05/autodesk-reshuffles-softimage-development-team/

:banghead:

I'm sure there'll be some good for Maya now (please god) but this doesn't sound good for softimage to me.

oktawu
05-03-2012, 01:35 PM
I'm sure it has already made the rounds in the soft community,
but nevertheless, it was bound to happen sooner or later.

To be honest, users should not be very concerned. All the skills can be easily ported,
and plus, if this means maya will get its dynamics core updated at long last,
that alone is good news to me.

oddforce
05-03-2012, 03:39 PM
Let's not jump to conclusions. First the article is wrong, he introduced 6 team members, that doesn't mean there are only 6 developers on the team, that has already been confirmed. I read somewhere else that there are 12 developers more than there were on the team in 2010.

* going to update "somewhere else" with an actual link as soon as I find it.

HFnord
05-03-2012, 09:12 PM
Weird that it took mr. Thacker this long to pick this up...
But basically the way the "announcement" of this change of team "went down"
(basically a tweet & a mailing list thread)
makes it no surprise this scared/scares some people.
Not very well played by Autodesk from a public relations point of view...

GoldStandard3D
05-04-2012, 06:22 AM
Wow I cant believe I'm reading this, this almost puts an axe to my plans on learning the rest of softimage. . . . . .

oktawu
05-04-2012, 09:39 AM
It's not about how many people there are on the team, nor how qualified they are. It is about letting go a team that was the heart and sould of an application, that knew it inside out, and bringing a new one, that has never touched it, to develop it further. First of all those people need to learn the ins and outs of that apps code, and then need to take the work further (which, given the current predicament, will surely introduce fresh bugs into an already bug filled app). I don't have anything against asians developing anything, it's just that this doesn't feel right at all.
On the other hand, maya is still king in film and commercials and autodesk knows that. So it was only a logical step to put some very bright people on it (and by god, there are plenty of them in the xsi dev team). It is pretty clear now, which application out of the two will receive the most r&d. And maya's dynamics core was ancient, and was losing serious ground to houdini. It was only a matter of time.

ThE_JacO
05-04-2012, 10:47 AM
The new team has been recruited, trained, and has already codeveloped for quite a while apparently. It's not a dry shuffle done over a few weeks, LucEric was saying he actually interviewed recruited and trained them himself (over a year, I believe, but don't quote me on this).

Of the 6 people moving 1 or 2 had been on the team for less than a couple years I believe, and they will still be around to support the new team.

The Escalation and support systems and staff remain intact, so one of the most important and thriving communication channels with production, which happens to be also one generating some of the most thorough debugging of some really obscure stuff, will still be there and help gel things in.

It's not 6 random dudes tossed in front of a firewire drive containing the source being told "nowfixit kgo!".

Bullit
05-04-2012, 05:03 PM
The silliness continues to spread...

luceric
05-04-2012, 07:35 PM
New people contributed new code and feature as early as Softimage 2012 (whch was programmed in the year 2010.. confusingly) They are not just starting.

bravmm
05-05-2012, 09:47 AM
Luc Eric,

No offence, but that's too little too late.
I know you just want to respond on the comments, but this should have been dealt with properly (official statement) right after the discussion started on the mailinglist.

You say some people are around since 2010. Why don't advertise that in 2010 to keep the good feelings going, and people don't go into 'shock' when somebody leaves. And the doom and gloom stories resurface again.

Companies still don't seem to understand the internet news moves "faster than the speed of light", and not responding for a day, or half a day can wreak havoc and miscommunication.

When responding too late, it's hard to have the rumors corrected and die out. That's what's happening right now and even being picked up by sites likes this. Not good...

my 2 cents...

KidderD
05-05-2012, 05:34 PM
You say some people are around since 2010. Why don't advertise that in 2010 to keep the good feelings going, and people don't go into 'shock' when somebody leaves. And the doom and gloom stories resurface again.

They did advertise that the team had grown, what they didn't say was there was an underlying reason for the growth. With large companies, things aren't always what they seem, which is why we don't trust them. Though, they did the right thing here, if you consider it. To enact the plan they want to put forward, Maya is the platform of choice, and other great technologies will added/merged etc. This writing has been on the wall for years now. I look forward to the combination of Softimage and Maya Development to come.

Are Softimage days numbered, who knows? But, they formed a new team to continue the software, perhaps in a new exciting direction, only time will tell.

bottleofram
05-05-2012, 08:06 PM
Huge companies are terrible at responding at all, let alone responding quickly. Involved people just adopt the policy of "saying nothing cannot do the damage, at least not one you can be held responsible for". Ironically, those who can do something about it are so far removed from the whole process, they have no idea whats going on.

I would imagine if the userbase of some service started thinking the thing they subscribe to isn't going to be around in foreseeable future and went into a massive exodus, the first time it gets noticed is when Mr. Accountant is analyzing the annual report and notices a significant drop somewhere along the line. Than, naturally, he doesn't go to Mr Developer to see if they had enough resources, or to Mr Salesman to ask if everything was alright with the supply channel... he doesn't even go to Mr Marketer to ask why he let this happen. No. He goes to Mr Decision Maker and says "Heh, Sir... look at this silly thing. Look at it! It doesn't even sell!" Mr Decision Maker is, of course, completely oblivious to just about everything, because, who cares if one plane goes down? He bought the ****ing airline!! *and play Inception music in the background for dramatic effect*

At least that's how one would perceive Autodesk at the moment. Bunch of people sitting around thinking what company should they acquire next and how should they call the new bundle they will inevitably try to sell you once all the paperwork is done. ; )

On a more serious note though, i do wonder what people mean when they say "great technologies will be merged"? We've been hearing about it for a long time... ever since that big Alias acquisition but so far we've seen none of it. They do offer an Ultimate Suite that technically has all those technologies wrapped up together but they remain quite separate entities after all, don't they?

I remain skeptical not because i want this amazing software to continue the good path its been walking (and i do), but because you kinda know where you stand with AD. If you don't, than think about what makes more money: one product with the goods from the other, or two products.

Unfortunately, it goes both ways.

Cheers

clankill3r
05-06-2012, 10:53 PM
At least it is good news for maya...
It only makes me sad, softimage is the most wonderful program i know, even thought i use it hobby wise. I mostly have to use adobe products and i think adobe could learn a lot from softimage. And it's not nice to get better in something where the future of the product is unclear. I tried maya like 7 years ago and i prefer softimage. Althought i don't know how much has changed about maya since then. The only thing i miss is with softimage atm is mac support. For the rest it's pretty complete for me.

qwatkins
05-24-2012, 12:40 AM
I am switching from Max to Softimage (After having used MAX from its DOS days) and am actually quite excited to get, what appears to be, similar strength through ICE that one would enjoy in Houdini but at half the price. Also impressive is Lagoa and MR too, looks quite viable to me. I just built a dual Xeon beast to do just that and will be getting up to speed over the next few months. I have to say that ICE was the clencher.

Bullit
05-24-2012, 08:21 AM
Yes.And i think Softimage is a no brainer even for those that will continue to work with Maya or 3dsMax.
The power it can give to an user that already pays for Maya or 3dsMax for the low price is unbeatable.

ActionArt
05-25-2012, 08:51 PM
I posted this on XSIbase but I think it needs saying here too. As a relatively new SI user I'd like to say how I see the future of Softimage. I think the future is brighter than ever and here's why.

Let's look at some facts:

SI makes money. Good. If it was losing, it would be in danger but it's NOT.

The development team is bigger than ever! It's new, but not green. From what we know, they are very skilled and have worked with the old team for some time. This could be a good thing and maybe, just maybe some of our oldest complaints will be addressed. We'll have to see.

Since ICE has matured, user development has been through the roof! New tools become available almost every day, most for free, and most are fantastic! Seriously, where else can you find that? Just check here: http://rray.de/xsi/

Third part development is at an all time high. V-ray, Arnold, 3Delight, Exocortex's tools etc. There hasn't been this much development in years and it addresses some of the greatest needs.

Competitors like Modo have come a long way fast but SI is more capable in almost every way. Development of any package often slows as the package becomes more complex so Modo and others still have a LONG way to go.

Softimage almost certainly has more seats now than it did with Avid, even though AD has not put it front and center as much as we'd like. Since the old SI team was moved to Maya perhaps one day most of the greatness that is SI will be in Maya. That's not a bad thing, but it will take the better part of a decade.

One final point. We may not have as many users as other systems but that's not always a bad thing. Dodge Caravans have more users than Bugatti Veryons but which would you rather have? If you have a huge user base the best features of the software can become diluted and you end up with something like Max.

I see SI doing quite well in spite of those that keep predicting the end. It's far from the end! And be careful, don't tell anyone! Otherwise they'll all be using it and we'll lose our advantage :)

mattmos
05-26-2012, 09:36 AM
I just wanted to say that the new softimage user group in London has already had over 170 registrations - that's more than we've had for the old meetings and seems like a pretty healthy community to me :beer:

CGTalk Moderation
05-26-2012, 09:36 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.