PDA

View Full Version : Castle interior - guidance needed

Usfgeek
05-01-2012, 02:25 AM
http://i.imgur.com/PDs95.jpg

Heres what i have so far, it's just a simple physical sun and sky right now but i think its getting there.

Whats bugging me is that i dont think there is enough bleed from the windows, i feel like it the purples should be much more spread across the room, only i have no ideas on how to do this...

In the end i want to comp this is all together in Nuke with light rays and dust passes, does any one know of any decent tutorials on how to go about this the right way?

Any advice at all here would be awesome, i just want a real nice bright image that pops with the window colour.

Cheers, Dan

InfernalDarkness
05-02-2012, 07:03 PM
I think it's a wonderful scene you've made! The textures look really nice, floor's a bit too shiny perhaps but that would obviously depend on the actual materials used "in real life" as well. Marble or granite, polished, sure. It just contrasts a bit with the less-shiny, less-polished stone of the walls and structure, but that's neither here nor there, just my observation. And since people don't really walk on walls or ceilings much, there's no reason for them to be equally as polished/shiny as the floor anyway.

As for lighting, it doesn't seem like you're using a linear lighting workflow? Those bright areas are REALLY bright, blown-out bright. This of course could/would be achieved "in real life" by your camera's exposure, etc., but the contrast-difference here leads me to believe something's not linear, even if your textures are linearized?

I love the windows as well, but they appear to be lit artificially? That is to say, the sun/sky alone isn't creating that glow effect. Are you using the mia_light_surface shader, or a glow shader perhaps (Blinn, Phong with the post-effect "glow" enabled)?

I'm not sure about your lighting setup - you've mentioned the sun/sky which is of course the right place to start. If you're not already, use Portal Lights for those windows instead of a glow shader. Work on the glass shader so it allows enough natural light through via the Portal Lights. I'd get it to look like regular, uncolored thick glass first and then add color/texture. Leaded windows can be difficult, but maybe give some of these ideas a try and see how it looks?

Usfgeek
05-03-2012, 02:33 AM
First of all, thank you very much! I appreciate it.

Actually everything has been linearized, it just looks like it not because i had the sun and sky intesnity set to 3 which give it the blown out areas which i liked. I've since turned it back to 1 though.

Yeah they do look like they have a glow applied but it's actually an mia material with an occlusion node controlling the transparency for a kind of frosted look, again i've since scrapped that idea.

Before you posted i was experimenting with the light surface node on the windows, it kind of got what i wanted but it was also turning the whole room purple at the same time, so ive done what you suggested and brought in some portal lights (1 for each window and 1 inside the archway underneath the central window. And this is how it's turned out. (I've made the windows green to see how the light bounces around the scene more clearer)

http://i.imgur.com/gIa6r.jpg

I do like the extra light coming in from the archway, opens up the room a lot more. I think portals light are what i'll use now. Just a matter of tweaking and testing now. One thing though doesnt look right, you see the shadow casted from the window on the far right, shouldn't that be tinted green? Yet it's not..

Thanks for you help,
Dan

CGTalk Moderation
05-03-2012, 02:33 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.