PDA

View Full Version : Ambush (critique please)

zunpin
04-30-2012, 08:47 AM
Hi, I really need critique on this piece. I feel the overall image doesn't fit well together, can someone tell me why?

http://s18.postimage.org/4xy0jdzwp/fight_3.jpg

MurtazaRizvi
04-30-2012, 01:03 PM
i think it is nice but i think you should widen the view to show where the sand has come from.

BillyWJ
05-01-2012, 02:13 AM
Hi, I really need critique on this piece. I feel the overall image doesn't fit well together, can someone tell me why?

http://s18.postimage.org/4xy0jdzwp/fight_3.jpg

The composition could use some work - you have both figures touching the sides, and that makes the whole feel claustrophic, it frames the piece and feels like it's closed in.

I'd pull back, and add more background, and move the figures slightly so you have some strong angles to connect the two figures together. Put the dominant figure above the submissive one, this will establish more of a narrative. (Why are they fighting, who's stronger/evil, who's winning, ect...)

Your lighting is a bit flat, too, and your tones - the further figure should be a bit cooler in color, to show distance - blend some slight tones from the sand into the figure, as reflected ambient light. Not a lot, just maybe 10% or less.

Hope this helps!

zunpin
05-01-2012, 06:32 AM
Thx for the comment guys, this definitely enlightened me.

Lunatique
05-07-2012, 03:21 AM
When you have just two robotic figures fighting, it's not very interesting because we really don't care about who/what they are. As a visual storyteller, you have to give the audience more, so they can be drawn into the premise you have created. What's the story behind this image? What kind of a world is it? Who's the good guy and who's the bad guy? Or they are neither good or bad? Why are they fighting? How can you turn this into a complete scene and make it a lot more interesting to look at, and tells a more complete story?

CGTalk Moderation
05-07-2012, 03:21 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.