PDA

View Full Version : Dual OS installation prob....!

kylekwan
11-22-2003, 03:52 PM
hi,

I need some advice on installing dual OS in one hard disk. Someone please help me on this...

Scenario: I'm going to install dual OS in one hard disk but in different partition. Let's say 1 in C and the other in D. Currently, i have Win XP in drive C and wanted to install Win ME in drive D. But the problem is, i can't get to choose which OS to boot up in the beginning.

If i installed Win ME first and then Win XP, usually will have a choose OS screen at the beginning, but if i installed Win XP first (which i'm using now) then i won't be able to choose. I was informed by a fren of me that there is a code that i need to type in Win XP so that when it boot up that time, the choose OS screen will appears.

could anyone help me with this...?

thanks...

Pharaun
11-22-2003, 03:56 PM
Have you looked into your autoexec.bat ? Also, reinstalling one of the two OS might solve the problem.

Normally, with a secondary OS installed, an option dialog should come up when booting.

Tuqui-tuqui
11-22-2003, 04:54 PM
If I remember correctly (which is probably wrong) XP does not allow you to choose the size of your partition? It installs itself instantly on the entire drive? And I am not very familiar with ME but if none Pharaun's advice work then get FDisk. Create an active partition and install ME into that partition. Whatever is left XP will take upon itself.

And why ME? I thought that OS was banned by the US Government? :shrug:

Pharaun
11-22-2003, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by Tuqui-tuqui
If I remember correctly (which is probably wrong) XP does not allow you to choose the size of your partition? It installs itself instantly on the entire drive?

That's not correct. E.g. if your harddisk is not partition'd (formated), the Windows XP installation will promt you about how to organize the partition, and to which partition install the OS.

Anyway, the only way out seems to be deleting one of the partitions, then installing the appropriate OS from new.

Or... write your own batch file that lets you choose between the two (look in autoexec.bat).

Tuqui-tuqui
11-22-2003, 05:38 PM
Oops... never mind then. The reason I said that is because we installed XP/2k/98 on one our PCs. Two of them asked us to partition, but one of them did not. Guess it was 98.... :rolleyes:

ristopuukko
11-22-2003, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by kylekwan
...but if i installed Win XP first (which i'm using now) then i won't be able to choose. I was informed by a fren of me that there is a code that i need to type in Win XP so that when it boot up that time, the choose OS screen will appears...

there is a file called 'BOOT.INI' in the root directory (usually c:\)
of the boot sector hard drive which holds the booting information
(this is an old NT thing...)

you can alter information to this file via system settings too (I'm
not on XP workstation right now so I don't recall exact path...),
but if I remember correctly its only for choosing boot sequence
and wait out times etc etc

if you have done these xp and me installations in a proper manner
you should be able to change the boot up sequence by editing
this BOOT.INI - file

in the boot.ini - file there are the paths to the hard drives which
have anykind of OS installed and by searching from the Microsoft
Technet you should gain the information needed in order to edit
this file succesfully

but beware; if you are NOT sure what you're doing, ask for help
the worst case scenario would be that you end up installing both
OS's from the scratch

I dunno was this even remotely helpful but if your question
remains over the weekend I think I could help you more when I
get back to work on Monday

/risto

Pharaun
11-22-2003, 08:00 PM
That's it - BOOT.INI. Assuming it does not exist on your machine, it can be hard to reproduce. I am not running dual operation systems, but here's my BOOT.INI.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

I hope it helps at least a little.

kylekwan
11-23-2003, 12:57 AM
i did find the boot.ini in msconfig.

and my Win XP setting is exactly the same as Pharaun's setting. But how can i change it?

and bout the autoexec.bat thinggy... how can i modify the code? actually which part should i edit? the boot.ini or the autoexec.bat?

ristopuukko: Could you please let me know the solution you can come out with when you reach office on Monday while i continue to get advice on here as well? Thanks

What is in my computer is 1 hard drive with 3 partition (C, D and E) and Win XP is in Drive C. I'm going either to install ME or 98 in another partition. Both the ME and 98 was left behind by my old PC. So i intended to have dual OS. For work, certainly XP and for 98 or ME certainly for games... cos some of my games can't be played on XP... and furthermore, some of my old good application can't run on XP either... so, there goes ME or 98.

But i preferred 98 coz it's more problem-free than ME. At earlier, i was giving a scenario so that everyone would understand my situation easily...

Thank you pal.... will wait for your good advice....

plug3
11-23-2003, 05:10 AM
Just add the line:

D:\="Microsoft Windows 98"

at the end of your boot.ini file (under [operating systems])

kylekwan
11-23-2003, 09:04 AM
i was able to see boot.ini in msconfig but i can't change anything on it.

how can i change it?

thanks...

kylekwan
11-23-2003, 09:07 AM
okie...
i found it...

it's in control panel>system>advanced>startup and recovery
i'll try that now...

i'll post my result here...

thank you very much..

ristopuukko
11-23-2003, 10:06 AM
"...Assuming it does not exist on your machine, it can be hard to reproduce..." ???
if you're dealing with NT/W2K/XP it DOES exist

"...i was able to see boot.ini in msconfig but i can't change
anything on it. how can i change it?..."

you can edit it with basic text editor like Notepad

I'd try what _D1 () suggested "D:\="Microsoft Windows 98"
"according MS TechNet's examples it should work out fine but if it
does not check out this:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/gettingstarted/multiboot.asp

/risto

kylekwan
11-24-2003, 11:45 AM
hi, I'm back!

Okie, let me finish up about my progress..

when i put in the bootable disk... the startup process for 98 is... you could understand how the installation process went thru... (if you have installed one before)

but problem stated when the 98 can't detect my logical drives because of NTFS. So i tried to boot into XP and formatted one of the drive to FAT32. The second problem that i encountered was, i can't boot up XP coz 98 system files overwrite XP. Luckily i have my boot disketee (always prepared all the necessary boot diskette if you really wanna to do something major to your system)

after putting in the diskette, win XP boot up and i formatted one of the drive. and i start all over again, and 98 was able to detect the FAT32 drive. i tried to installed but the OS said that it will formatted all the drive... then i stop it coz i still want to have my XP. after a few try when the problem still appears the same (which is don't let me installed) i become so so so fed-up!

and furthermore i can't boot up the disk without the boot diskette...

I opened my desk, took out my old seagate disk wizard... and re-FORMATTE the whole h/d. And now, i re-installed everything again, but this time, follow the sequence which is 98 first then XP... and it's just running fine...

so, the lesson i learnt was... never go the short way unless you're a pro of OS.... luckily my data was in another h/d.... nothing except for time was lost!

thank you all of you...... :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.