PDA

View Full Version : Loading Images as Worlds?

stakk4
11-22-2003, 09:20 AM
Admittedly, I am an extreme noob both to digital media and blender. I was following another tutorial, and it provided a .jpeg image and advised to set it as the background in World. I have been looking all over the World menu, but can't seem to find a way to load an image, as you can with textures. I'm sure its right in front of me and I'm just missing it. Can anybody point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Zenitor
11-22-2003, 11:51 AM
are you using the new 2.30 layout? when they changed the gui i was a bit confused also.....anyway .......
1)click on materials icon
2)click on world icon
3)in the world tab click on the only button <>and choose "create new"
4)new taps open up.... in texture click "add new"
5)NOW click on the texture icon (next to materials icon, rad, world etc, and "add new in the texture tab.
6)select image button, click add image.....

stakk4
11-23-2003, 12:15 AM
Actually I think I have 2.25, I just have only recently started using it. Do you still remember how to do it in previous versions please?
Thanks for your help!

Apollux
11-23-2003, 01:14 PM
I still have 2.25 installed on my computer. The process is basically the same: Create a new "World", create a new texture with the image, and then tell blender to use that texture on the world.

Here are the steps on Blender 2.25 (are the same steps on all versions BEFORE 2.30)

1.- Create a new World
Go to the World Buttons. It is a button with a blue-and-white planet on it, is right next to the button with a speaker on it.
Now look for a button like this [ -- ], click on it and choose "Add New". The button is the second from the right.
All the "World Settings" appear... leave them as they are for the moment.
2.- Create a new texture and load the image
Go to the Texture Buttons. Just press F6 and you'll be there.
Again look for a button like [ -- ] , click on it and choose ¨Add New¨ to create a new texture.
A few buttons will appear, they control the new texture. The first colum of buttons from the left is the most important.
Near the top of the colum there is toogle switch with 3 options: Mat, World and Lamp. Make sure that ¨World¨ is active, so that you don't accidentally texture a material or a lamp.
On the top of the window are the different choices for texture sources: 'None', 'Image', 'Enviroment Map', 'Plugin', 'Procedural Wood', etc. etc. etc. Of course you want the ¨Image¨ source, so activate it.
Inmediatly after you activate ¨Image¨ a bunch of buttons and options appear. One of the biggest buttons is ¨Load Image¨:applause:

I guess that now it is clear WHY they had to simplify the user interface.... those were just to many clicks for doing something so simply.

If you are following a tutorial about world setting then you already know this, but for anyone that just happends to be reading this: Loading an image as a ¨world¨ is not the same as using the image for a background.

When the image is added from a world then you can control how the image interacts with the artificially generated horizon, mist settings, weather simulations, ambient lighting, and a long list of etc. etc. etc. If you just load the image as a rendering background then there isn't much that you could do with it.

stakk4
11-26-2003, 08:47 AM
:bowdown: thank you thank you thank you
this has been driving me nuts!

Apollux
11-26-2003, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Zenitor
are you using the new 2.30 layout? when they changed the gui i was a bit confused also.....anyway .......
1)click on materials icon
2)click on world icon
3)in the world tab click on the only button <>and choose "create new"
4)new taps open up.... in texture click "add new"
5)NOW click on the texture icon (next to materials icon, rad, world etc, and "add new in the texture tab.
6)select image button, click add image.....

Zenitor, I was fact-checking your steps and actually, #1 is totally unnecesary. And it's worht mentioning that if you are starting from a default scene then #3 is also unnecesary since the default scene already has a world created. ;)

stakk4
11-26-2003, 08:05 PM
Apollux:

I just got home and tried it out. Worked like a charm. The key was those buttons you pointed out under textures for MAT-World-Lamp. I see now how to switch between them. Learned several new things in one shot!

Out of curiousity, why would one texture a lamp?

Thanks again!

Apollux
11-27-2003, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by stakk4
Apollux:
Out of curiousity, why would one texture a lamp?

There are so many uses for that. Just a few examples:

Say you are creating an scene of a movie theater and you already have some old movies saved as AVI files (or even better, as sequenced frames). Now you point a spotlight toward the screen and apply the movie file as a texture to the spotlight.. it works like a real movie proyector!!! You can even have people standing from their seat and walking in front of the bean and it will behave like a true proyector.

Another example: You are working with a scene that takes place on a dense wood. It won't look real without the sunlight comming trought the leaves and creating that distinct shadow pattern.. but it would be a real time-consumer to actually model all the leaves and trees, specially if they are never seen by the camera... So you paint a black-n-white shadow pattern on any 2D program (of course with some alpha on the 2D file) and then use that 2D image as a texture for your sunlight.
:cool:

stakk4
11-30-2003, 08:54 AM
excellent information! thanks for all your help!

Modron
12-15-2003, 08:58 PM
If you want, you can set up a scene, and click on panorama before rendering, then load that into your world, then create an empty, and where it says 'object' in the world buttons, shift click, and type in empty, then when you move the empty, your panoramic background will scroll/scal accordingly. Note: You must capitalize "Empty". ( because that is the default way Blender names it )

Apollux
12-17-2003, 03:15 AM
Modron, I believe it would work just fine without doing the panorama thing before, just loading a standart world image or a clouds texture, I saw it on a tutorial... anyways, I am speculating because I don't feel like testing it by myself rightnow. (just finished a 48 hours render.. I have a Blender overdose)

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.