PDA

View Full Version : Illuminating bottles from beneath

becken
04-25-2012, 08:05 AM
Hello!!

I'm rendering a bar image with maya 2012 and mental ray.

I've attached two images: -botellas2: is the final light set up.

-botellas3: is a basic render to make sure the glass and liquid shaders work.

As you can see in 'botellas2', the area lights that are under the bottles spoil my final image.

In this link you can see the look I'm trying to achieve.

If you can't see the image go to google images and write 'Scottish whisky Edinburgh'

(http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_1ece_1s4bkU/TGXWDimztVI/AAAAAAAAJ6g/iEXNGuuuvFI/s1600/largest+collection+of+scotch+whiskey+in+edinburgh+by+Danny+Nicholson+at+flickr.jpg)

Is my lighting wrong or is it my shaders? The shaders are mia_material_x with the physical glass preset and an index of refraction of 1.33 for the bottle and 0.8 for the liquid.

Thank you!!

Bitter
04-30-2012, 12:56 AM
Hmm, you may need significant trace depth for refractions and shadow rays from the area lights.

becken
04-30-2012, 08:34 AM
Thanks for the response Bitter. I tried many and finally I find out my mistake.

I applied the liquid shader in a render layer I was using for light testing so when I did the final render in the master layer, the liquid geometry had the default lambert shader applied.

In Maya 2010, unless you override the material, if you changed a shader in a render layer it would change it in the masters as well but it seems that they have fixed this in Maya 2012.

A stupid mistake I will never forget.

In any case, thank you very much for your help.

CGTalk Moderation
04-30-2012, 08:34 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.