PDA

View Full Version : Is the world REALLY going to end if I get an LCD Monitor?

Array
11-22-2003, 07:11 AM
Right now, I dont have the space or thermal capacity for a CRT. I have to buy a new monitor though, since my 19" died (im typing from a POS 15" CRT right now). Anyhow...I was considering getting a 19" or even 21" LCD. Is this REALLY a horrible decision if I'm working with 3d?

modestmouse
11-22-2003, 07:13 AM
any gaming or anything on it?

sevenfingers
11-22-2003, 07:26 AM
If colour isn't extremely important, buy decent consumer grade... it will still blow away the CRT when it comes to sharpness.

If you're in to colour correcting stuff, making textures and nice looking printed material... you can still get an LCD... you just have to buy a Eizo color edge CG21 or an Apple Cinema HD... But that'll set you back $4500 :(

ambient-whisper
11-22-2003, 07:57 AM
arent LCD monitors listed in actual viewable size? so wouldnt a 17" LCD be close to a 19" CRT?. dont remember who told me this. could be complete bs. but just wondering.

Array
11-22-2003, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by ambient-whisper
arent LCD monitors listed in actual viewable size? so wouldnt a 17" LCD be close to a 19" CRT?. dont remember who told me this. could be complete bs. but just wondering.

yeah, it's true as far as viewable size is concerned, but the resolution isnt the same. most 19" LCD's only go up to 1280x1024, where as 19" CRT's go up to 1600x1200.

ambient-whisper
11-22-2003, 09:15 AM
yeah i know about the rez. but thing is. lately i been working in 1280x1024 anyway just because opengl apps and zbrush work faster at that rez. and its very noticable.

sevenfingers
11-22-2003, 09:28 AM
True AW, I used to think only the highest res was usable (ie 1800x something on my CRT), then I noticed the beauty of 1280x1024 and I've never looked back. I'd take 2 monitors with that resolution over a single very high res any day. Besides, with an LCD, you don't have to worry about refresh rates anymore... as it's really not drawing the screen line by line as a CRT.

dmeyer
11-22-2003, 03:06 PM
I just added a 213T to my setup. I was a critic of doing CG/design work on LCDs...but this one has made a believer out of me.

http://www.samsungusa.com/cgi-bin/nabc/product/b2c_product_detail.jsp?eUser=&prod_id=213T-Silver_Monitor

$100 rebate at Best Buy now too :buttrock:

Boa
11-22-2003, 03:37 PM
dmeyer: have you watched/worked with video on the LCD? The Specs read really good. How much did you pay for it?

Boa

dmeyer
11-22-2003, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Boa
dmeyer: have you watched/worked with video on the LCD? The Specs read really good. How much did you pay for it?

Boa

I havent had it that long and havent had time to really put it through it's paces. I've been working in Shake and FCP a lot lately with no noticable issues.

Any ghosting issues you may run across in extreme situations is more than made up for by the brightness and sharpness of the screen, not to mention amazing anti glare properties, IMO. I was working yesterday and some sun coming through the window....the CRT was useless but the LCD didn't bat an eye. I got it largely because of eyestreain concerns - and the other day i found myself squinting at an email on the CRT. I dragged it over to the LCD and immediately stopped the squinting. :applause:

cost was $1099USD after rebate at BestBuy

elvis
11-23-2003, 12:20 AM
here's a great review from the anandtech team about dell's new flat panel:

http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1918

some great info there on the colour problems that even the best flat panels are facing. and for once something more than a subjective comment, too.

gmask
11-23-2003, 12:32 AM
If you mainly do film work then go ahead as the color you see on scene is a shot in the a dark anyway versus what it will film out as..

gtidhar
11-24-2003, 09:42 AM
No, it is going to end regardless...

:hmm:

GregHess
11-24-2003, 01:26 PM
A note about LCD Ghosting....

Its very noticable when you first see it. Your like "Man that thing is ghosting like crazy".

About an hour into using it, you don't notice it at all. Its similar to trinitron lines in that aspect. If you watch for it, you'll find it, if you don't look for it, you won't see it.

Its actually quite minor, and your eyes pretty much adjust to any ghosting that may occur, if any.

I'm an avid gamer and play alot of fast paced games (Max Payne 2, Battlefield 1942, Homeworld 2) and if there is any ghosting, I don't notice it at all.

If anything it becomes free hardware accelerated motion blur :).

imashination
11-24-2003, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by GregHess
A note about LCD Ghosting....

Its very noticable when you first see it. Your like "Man that thing is ghosting like crazy".

About an hour into using it, you don't notice it at all. Its similar to trinitron lines in that aspect. If you watch for it, you'll find it, if you don't look for it, you won't see it.

Its actually quite minor, and your eyes pretty much adjust to any ghosting that may occur, if any.

I'm an avid gamer and play alot of fast paced games (Max Payne 2, Battlefield 1942, Homeworld 2) and if there is any ghosting, I don't notice it at all.

If anything it becomes free hardware accelerated motion blur :).

It depends very much on which screen you get. Most average screens will ghost, and yes, it is free motion blur ;-) This is one of the reasons I sold my Sager laptop, the blur in any game, even something slow and smooth like motogp2 was terrible.

However go to www.overclockers.co.uk and take a look at their high speed Hitachi panels. They are very well priced and the blur is virtually nil.

Sieb
11-24-2003, 06:27 PM
LCDs are exact size, if it says 19", its 19" edge to edge viewable unlike the extra inch of tube that isn't viewable on CRTs. CRTs can display higher res than what they are rated at because they just change the magnet allignments when you select the res (since the image is projected in a sense). LCDs are exact size or smaller. If they are 1600x1200 res, then they only have 1600x1200 pixels that make up the matrix. You can display lower res's but the quality diminishes because it scales the res. Some LCDs will put a black boarder around instead of scaling which is nice.

I have the same 213T as dmeyer (I think I recommended it to hm in his thread about it). I have no issues color wise (color is better than any other LCD or CRT I have looked at compared to this model LCD). I have seen it ghost a couple times but usually your eyes only pick up on it for a split second (It happened in GTA:VC, which ended up being a vid card stability issue that was causing it). I play games and model and whatnot and have had no issues. Its a dream to work with.

All the horror stories of the past you have heard about LCDs and whatnot don't apply to LCDs built in the last two years or so. I really don't understand why people try assume that modeling on an LCD is going to be any different than any other app on a CRT... The only difference is that you won't go blind as quickly.. :cool:

imashination
11-24-2003, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Sieb
model LCD). I have seen it ghost a couple times but usually your eyes only pick up on it for a split second (It happened in GTA:VC, which ended up being a vid card stability issue that was causing it).

You realise GTA3 actually has a motion blur option turned on by default right? :)

Sieb
11-25-2003, 01:43 AM
Yes, but when its bad ghosting and textures that weren't loading, it became a card issue. Actually, specifically a heat issue with the card that has since been resolved and no issues present. :)

t-man152
11-25-2003, 01:52 AM
the answer to your question is yes the world will end if you get an LCD monitor

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.