PDA

View Full Version : Adding details to hand model...particulary knuckles

madheavy
11-22-2003, 04:30 AM
Hey guys,
Today I spent a few hours modeling a new hand for my character. I like the hand, however I wanted to add some more detail, mainly knuckles for the base of the fingers. So that when I make a fist it looks cool.
I cannot figure out a good way to do this. I tried smooth-shift but it looks funky. If I could just split the polys at that make up that knuckle part of the hand, that would be awesome. However I cannot seem to do it. I try with the knife tool...but only to create more problems.

I added a picture. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

roguenroll
11-22-2003, 04:37 AM
I'd say smoothshift would be the best I can think of. I use it works great, play with it, its a necessary organic tool. use it, love it.:)

seek out froggyplat modeling video tutes, its all in there.

kretin
11-22-2003, 04:53 AM
You'll prolly find that to get nice knuckles you'll need a row of points along the center of each finger... from there it should be much easier to figure out creating the knuckles.

Zarathustra
11-22-2003, 05:22 PM
kretin's right. Bandsaw those fingers.
4 points just aren't enough for circles and cylinders. Should help with the pinching between the fingers, too.

Mattoo
11-22-2003, 10:24 PM
There are some very good examples at www.metagons.com in the Wiredepot section. Very good if you want to get some hints on where to put your edges.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.