PDA

View Full Version : Best choice of path to follow, Community College and Gnomon or other?

JessFrias
04-23-2012, 08:59 PM
Hello, this is my first post and I'm not sure if there's any topic similar to this...But I really need help!
I'm from Brazil and I'm in my senior year. I graduate in December this year and I want to work with something related to 3D, not sure yet of what exactly, but more related to character modeling and rigging or concept art.
Anyway, over here art is not very valued and the education system is different. That caused me to feel a little bit behind when it comes to the basic skills I'll need, such as realistic drawing, sculpting and many other subjects that other people have eventually. I have some experience with Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere, Encore and After Effects. Until the end of the year Iíll have some experience with Maya, but I know I have to get better and that I have much more to learn yet.
I've heard that having a degree is not that important, but I want to improve what I think I'm lacking of and I think that attending to a College would be a good option. I wanted to attend to Full Sail University or Art Institute University but I donít have the money to spend in it and my parents think itís best for me if I attend to a Community College or just a cheaper College and later go to study in Gnomon School (when I have the money to pay for it). What do you guys think is better for me? I know that Gnomon is a very good school but will I have what I need to enter? Will a Community College offer me what I need to create good reels and a complete portfolio?
It would be great if you could help me, Iím really lost.
The College Iím looking for needs to be cheap and as best as possible. Itís locations donít matter that much for me, but preferably in Florida, New York or Chicago, because I have family in these locations and my mom would feel better knowing that thereís people I know near me if I need anything.
Thank you very much for reading my post and I really hope you can help me,
Jessica

Stremel
04-24-2012, 03:56 AM
Hey Jess, I'm brazilian too and I'm the same way of yours.
I'm looking for a school in Canada, because it's better for me.
Which colleges do you know that offer 3D courses in the US? And how the Gnomon Workshop works? I also find these schools too expensive, and it's cheaper for International students.

I'd suggest you to go to a college, but a lot of people seems to think otherwise. I find it better to have a teacher and classmates to help you than doing everything alone. Then, if it's a good option, go to the Gnomon.

So bad we don't have good courses here in Brazil. I'm actually coursing a 3D course here in Curitiba for one semester, and it's doing great in my opinion. There's one called Melies in S„o Paulo, but I would never leave Curitiba to go to that chaotic city. That's it, hope we both find our ways. ;)

JessFrias
04-27-2012, 12:24 AM
Stremel, thanks for your reply!

Well, I have a magazine that is full of all kinds of advertisements about colleges and universities. But I've lend it to a friend. If you'd like, I can write down the websites of the colleges I find that have something to do with media arts so you can take a look. But it'll only be possible when I have the magazine back... Maybe you would have to wait a little bit :hmm:
I still don't know much about Gnomon, right now Iím more focused looking for a good and cheap college for me or something like that, sorry.

I agree with you in that. I like it better when we have someone from who we can take a lot of information from.

Nice that you're doing things like that. I'm in a 2 and a half course in SAGA here in Salvador, but I'm only going to have time to do 1 year and a half... I've had my first 3D class last week, it was beautiful. lol
One of the reasons I'm going to stay here until December is to finish the Maya part...

Yeah, hope we both find our ways too :D

Hm, If anyone know any other art school like Gnomon, please give me the name or the link to it's website. Thanks :D

Stremel
04-27-2012, 04:02 PM
Sure, that would be nice if you could share them with me. :)
What is the name of the magazine?

SAGA seems to be a great school, but unfortunately they haven't any branch here where I live. I'm going to attend a Digital Design course at PUC in July, but it doesn't have much to do with 3D, so I'll still be looking for something in Canada.

robtasker
04-27-2012, 04:18 PM
Here's a few Animation programs in Ontario, Canada:

Durham College (2 year diploma or a 3 year advanced diploma)
http://www.durhamcollege.ca/programs/animation-digital-arts-two-year/

Sheridan (I believe this is a post grad program, so you may need a prior diploma)
http://www.sheridancollege.ca/Programs%20and%20Courses/Full-Time%20Programs/Programs%20A-Z%20Index/Computer%20Animation.aspx

Seneca (3 year advanced diploma)
http://www.senecac.on.ca/fulltime/ANI.html

cgs-john
04-27-2012, 05:30 PM
Just remember that part of the benefits you receive from attending an educational institution of some sort is their contacts with industry. If you choose an institution simply based on the bottom line and they have little or no contacts with industry, then you are missing out on an important value you should be receiving. I would suggest you research this area of any school you choose before you make a final decision. Good luck.

JessFrias
05-01-2012, 01:00 PM
Thank you so much for replying guys!
Stremel, the magazine name is Study in the U.S.A. I got mine in a convention about studying abroad...
cgs-john do you know how can we get a list or something like that from schools to see if it has good contacts?

cgs-john
05-23-2012, 04:18 PM
I know of no such list, but a little research on your part will go a long way. Ask to speak with the chair or head or the student advisor of the department you are interested in. Ask them if any companies actively recruit their program, where are a majority of their graduates going after graduating, what is their placement rate in the industry, and can you have names and emails of some recent graduates? Of course, generally any former graduate contacts they give you will most likely be biased toward the school, but if you ask the right questions, they may be more honest then you think; questions like, can you tell me about the industry mentored projects you did at school, or what process did you go through to find your first industry job out of school? What happened to most of the rest of your graduating class? From these answers you should be able to get a good idea of how in touch with industry the program is.

Sorry it's been so long between posts, but after a couple of days, I just forgot about this thread.

Good Luck

JessFrias
09-02-2012, 02:38 AM
Thank you very much for your answer. I've been looking out for a while and am still undecise. Yet, your comments helped a lot.

rufiorufio
09-06-2012, 08:01 PM
Hi Jessica,

While you are looking for schools in Canada, try Lost Boys Studios. http://www.lostboys-studios.com/ They are located in Vancouver and are North America's only dedicated VFX school. That way, you don't have to take other classes that you aren't interested in and you can focus only on VFX. The tuition is a lot lower than other schools and their demo reels are pretty impressive!

Vancouver is worth checking out! Good luck!

technokill
09-25-2012, 11:40 PM
I'm on the same boat as you guys!

ATM my hopes are aimed towards finding a college/university/school that offers a scholarship for international students.

I haven't really searched a lot about it but I'm sure I'll find something over the US, CA or FR, which I've been told, are the main digital art and CG masters.

LOR
06-15-2013, 05:11 PM
CG Masters School of 3D Animation and Visual Effects is a new school with possibly the most experienced and talented Faculty of Industry Masters in the world. It was founded to fill a big gap in the digital media training industry. It used to be enough to put a student in front of a computer and teach them software. Not anymore. To get a job today, you need experience, knowledge of production practice and philosophy as well as top notch skills. If you are looking for a place to study in Canada and are serious, passionate and committed (plus you have a great portfolio), please put CG Masters on your school research list.

www.cg-masters.com

Nicholas Boughen
CG Masters

CGTalk Moderation
06-15-2013, 05:11 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.