PDA

View Full Version : Good Techniques for Exterior Lighting?

ChrisLSimpson
04-23-2012, 03:51 PM
I have been trying to figure out a good way of doing exterior lighting, for a architectural render, but i cant find any tutorials online anywhere that end up with a good looking result. Almost all the lighting tutorials are for interiors and what few exterior tutorials exist are only for vRay, which i dont have. I am using mental ray instead. Here is what i have for lighting right now, and it looks horrible:
http://i.imgur.com/eHIIg.jpg
All i have is a Daylight system (Mr Sky and MrSun) and a Skydome with luminosity. Just with that the render times are already high, Im sure there's a better way of doing this, I just don't know what.

CHRiTTeR
04-23-2012, 05:42 PM
In this kind of shots a domelight driven by a good HDRI or skylight+sun will do the trick.

But(!) I dont think the lighting is as bad as the texturing and shading in your picture. Different lighting wont help you out with that.

There is a lot of tiling and blurring going on, also there are no speculars which makes everything looks rough/flat/dry.

D2s
04-24-2012, 09:59 PM
I think Maybe if is an still Image, you can make te post about color with some filters like magic bullet Looks in photoshop, and then put levels, etc.
:thumbsup:

dannyboy374
05-09-2012, 05:34 AM
I have been trying to figure out a good way of doing exterior lighting, for a architectural render, but i cant find any tutorials online anywhere that end up with a good looking result. Almost all the lighting tutorials are for interiors and what few exterior tutorials exist are only for vRay, which i dont have. I am using mental ray instead. Here is what i have for lighting right now, and it looks horrible:
http://i.imgur.com/eHIIg.jpg
All i have is a Daylight system (Mr Sky and MrSun) and a Skydome with luminosity. Just with that the render times are already high, Im sure there's a better way of doing this, I just don't know what.

I agree with the above poster. You can be using vray and you would still think it looks horrible, reason being, is you don't have the texture quality and shader setup to compliment any lighting setup.

Create spec/bump maps for your shaders, even start out with the mental ray arch preset shaders, they'll give you a great base shader to plug your textures into and get pretty good results. You can use that as a starting point. But I would spend a day doing nothing but texture work, and then re-approach the lighting.

InfernalDarkness
05-14-2012, 08:54 PM
I concur with the above posters: no amount of realism in your lighting will hide the texturing woes here. Don't take this as a personal jab: we all assume these are placeholder or initial textures just to kinda lay things out.

But I'd instead go the other direction, since your question is about lighting and not texturing!

Remove all your textures except for perhaps your leaf's cutout opacity, in favor of a flat gray for now. Give it a quick render with the current lighting setup, which should be the sun/sky and Final Gather (no photon GI or caustics) for a scene like this. Play with the shadows and bounce lighting (FG secondary bounce at 2 perhaps?) and post up a render or two like that? It will help us analyze the lighting and help you get better feedback faster.

And THEN we can help with textures too, hopefully!

CGTalk Moderation
05-14-2012, 08:54 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.