PDA

View Full Version : Paint texture in 3D

artofillusionist
04-23-2012, 09:21 AM
What do you think, what is the best useful software to paint texture in 3d, paint easy the seams...

Bodypaint? Mudbox? ZBrush? ... or?

noouch
04-23-2012, 01:17 PM
Where have you been this past year? Mari came along and blew everything else out of the water :)

azozel
04-23-2012, 01:25 PM
Here is a link to the site. http://www.thefoundry.co.uk/products/mari/
Hands down the best texture tool on the market today!
Just know that you can forget about using it if you have anything other then a high end Nvidia graphics card. Sorry no ATI.

Ciuccio
04-23-2012, 01:34 PM
I prefer done all my work in modo. Paint is not he best, but is nice (have not the flexibility of Mari, but has level (who cannot be blender togher) and can be more flexible in paint compared to Zbrush) and if you find some issue in your UVmap or geometry in general can edit in fly.

For big studio is the usual doing all in different software, but for me doing so remember the old LW day where modelling in one software and transfer all in another for rendering... hate this.

mister3d
04-23-2012, 01:53 PM
Also forget about Mari if you work for games.

Ciuccio
04-23-2012, 01:57 PM
Also forget about it if you work for games.
Did you refer to me? If yes, why?

LuckyBug
04-23-2012, 02:04 PM
Mari looks neat, but it is very neat-picking about graphic card you posses, I have constant crashing with him, and as mentioned mudbox, body paint and modo can help you a lot, and you dont have to worry about graphic card.

R10k
04-23-2012, 02:15 PM
3D Coat is another option.

Ciuccio
04-23-2012, 02:19 PM
Mari looks neat, but it is very neat-picking about graphic card you posses, I have constant crashing with him, and as mentioned mudbox, body paint and modo can help you a lot, and you dont have to worry about graphic card.

Agree.
Also, mai is not so fluid like Mudbox for paint: Mari can handle better and bigger texture, but I don't need and prefer the more speed modo/mudbox/zbrush/3dcoat approach.

Agree, 3dcoat is another nice (and better then modo and zbrush) alternative.

artofillusionist
04-23-2012, 04:25 PM
Thanks for your advice, I see Mari and I think good.
Earlier I used BodyPaint and DeepPaint, and I did not like much.
I see Mari will be better.

I d like paint 8k texture and I have asus gtx560ti.

I will try soon.

atac
05-03-2012, 08:19 PM
Mudbox has invested a lot in its paint toolset the past few years.

True 3d paintbrushes (more intuitive, faster, and higher quality than screen projection)
PSD compatible layer stack, with blend modes and layer masks
New gigatexel engine for painting billions of pixels
Stencils for projection workflows
BW and RGB stamps
Multi-channel material display, including transparency
Ptex painting
Single-click interop with Maya
http://youtu.be/iLqt39YxSvE
http://youtu.be/aB5KGwxKqjc
http://youtu.be/RhgR00JsFSU

soulburn3d
05-04-2012, 12:17 AM
Every 3d paint app has its own advantages and disadvantages. Personally I like mudbox for doing my painting. Since I already use mudbox for sculpting, its nice to be able to keep the model in a single package for both sculpting and painting, rather than transferring it back and forth. Also, you can paint directly on the displaced model, which makes it easier to line up paint with displaced details, and you can paint directly on a subdivided surface. Mari has a stronger set of 2d paint tools, since you're basically painting in 2d and then baking it down to your mesh. I'd recommend trying both for yourself and see which one of the many 3d paint apps you prefer.

- Neil

mister3d
05-04-2012, 09:30 AM
Did you refer to me? If yes, why?
I was talking about Mari, just posted a bit later after your message (I was referring to the predecessing one). Mari doesn't work with overlapped uvw clusters, and therefore can't be used for most game texturing.
I use bodypaint, and from what it looks, Mudbox is better for texturing already. Tried texturing in Zbrush, a real nightmare... and I guess with their approach they didn't improve it much.

evakristjans
05-04-2012, 10:01 AM
Mari is great if you have the hardware to run it. And if you don't have the supported graphics card, make sure Mari works stable on yours before you start accepting any projects.

My i7-2630 laptop has 2GB GT555M but can't run the newer versions of Mari. Funny enough, I went into the archives and discovered that Mari 1.2v1 works just fine.

However for personal use/working at home, my vote is for Mudbox. It doesn't require specific hardware like Mari does, and in the past, Mari's supported hardware list has changed as it gets updated. Plus you have the extra option of being able to sculpt.

Mudbox's paint tools have definitely gotten better. I just tried out the 2012 version the other day and found it very easy to get back into the program after a long hiatus. So give it a shot if you already haven't :)

forelle
05-04-2012, 10:22 AM
I was talking about Mari, just posted a bit later after your message (I was referring to the predecessing one). Mari doesn't work with overlapped uvw clusters, and therefore can't be used for most game texturing.
I use bodypaint, and from what it looks, Mudbox is better for texturing already. Tried texturing in Zbrush, a real nightmare... and I guess with their approach they didn't improve it much.

The next version of Mari (in Beta at the moment) supports overlapped Uvs.

@evakristjans Do you have instability with that card or does it refuse to run? Could you let me know which driver version you're using?

The supported hardware list for Mari is the set of cards that we have actually tested, rather than being the only cards Mari will run on.

Molte
05-04-2012, 10:22 AM
Personaly, I prefer Mudbox before Zbrush or Bodypaint.
Though, I still havent been able to try out Mari properly due to the graphics card restrictions.

Actually, my prefered workflow would be doing the textures in photoshop and "applying" them in Mudbox (in addition to drybrushing etc).

oglu
05-04-2012, 10:28 AM
mudbox all the way... cause its easy and its fast...

artofillusionist
05-04-2012, 11:13 AM
I checked Mari,
I find the user interface is strange, I do not understand why cannot load easy a existing texture (tga) to my model.
I have gtx 560, and Mari is very slow, I do not understand this thing too.

evakristjans
05-04-2012, 11:25 AM
@evakristjans Do you have instability with that card or does it refuse to run? Could you let me know which driver version you're using?

The supported hardware list for Mari is the set of cards that we have actually tested, rather than being the only cards Mari will run on.
I understand, I simply mentioned this because if you have a card that's not supported, it's better to test it first and see whether it works/is stable.

My problem is that I can open Mari and it works fine, until I go into the viewport and want to rotate/move the object around in 3d view. Mari then crashes instantly. I'll send you a PM with the info so I won't hijack the thread :)

mister3d
05-04-2012, 11:29 AM
forelle, that's great!

Same here with gtx 460. I thought maybe it's slow with simple models, but is fast with heavy ones? But then users said it's how it is with my videocard.

forelle
05-04-2012, 12:51 PM
I understand, I simply mentioned this because if you have a card that's not supported, it's better to test it first and see whether it works/is stable.

My problem is that I can open Mari and it works fine, until I go into the viewport and want to rotate/move the object around in 3d view. Mari then crashes instantly. I'll send you a PM with the info so I won't hijack the thread :)

Great, thank you for the information.

Most of the time the issue is with the particular GPU driver. I'll check my PM and get back to you.

forelle
05-04-2012, 12:53 PM
I checked Mari,
I find the user interface is strange, I do not understand why cannot load easy a existing texture (tga) to my model.

Channel Menu->Import should make is easy to import existing textures.

Can you let me know what mari version / driver version / number of polygons you're trying to paint?

We have a fair number of people using the 560 without a problem, it may be something we can help you with.

Thanks

artofillusionist
05-05-2012, 11:21 AM
http://www.thefoundry.co.uk/products/mari/system-requirements/

There are very brutal system requirements and few supported cards,
Many years ago with deep paint and bodypaint I can paint in 3d with more lower configuration...

So I checked Mudbox too, and I think it is very fast and very easy to paint in 3d.

artofillusionist
05-05-2012, 11:35 AM
Channel Menu->Import should make is easy to import existing textures.

Can you let me know what mari version / driver version / number of polygons you're trying to paint?

We have a fair number of people using the 560 without a problem, it may be something we can help you with.

Thanks

I found how can load texture (before is saw only sequence), now it is ok.

If I start Mary 1.2v1 immediately my processor cooler works hard with big noise (I have silent cooler) why?
If I work with Maya I have noise only with hard tasks,
I have this hard noise only with render process or games. (and with Mari default)

forelle
05-05-2012, 11:50 AM
Hi,

Thanks for the feedback!

As I mentioned above, these are not the only cards Mari will run on, they are the ones we actively test and can ensure run correctly.

It is true that other packages have lower HW requirements, but they also have much lower capabilities. You can achieve throughput and detail in Mari that is simply not possible in any other system. As with all software you should pick what meets your requirements and budgets.

We have a test data set on our website called The Blacksmith. Download it and have a look. It consists of over 450 4k textures. This is a relatively small Mari asset compared to the work being done at most of the major cg and vfx facilities out there.

We do appreciate that Mari is a little demanding, but as a suitable GPU costs less than 200 euros now we think it is becoming more reasonable.

Jack

http://www.thefoundry.co.uk/products/mari/system-requirements/

There are very brutal system requirements and few supported cards,
Many years ago with deep paint and bodypaint I can paint in 3d with more lower configuration...

So I checked Mudbox too, and I think it is very fast and very easy to paint in 3d.

forelle
05-05-2012, 11:53 AM
Hi

Can you try updating to Mari 1.4v3? We've optimized it a fair bit since 1.2

Mari does perform a large amount of processing in the background on multiple cores to optimize your textures. It is how it is able to quickly display and edit many GB of textures.
Thanks

Jack
I found how can load texture (before is saw only sequence), now it is ok.

If I start Mary 1.2v1 immediately my processor cooler works hard with big noise (I have silent cooler) why?
If I work with Maya I have noise only with hard tasks,
I have this hard noise only with render process or games. (and with Mari default)

artofillusionist
05-05-2012, 12:06 PM
Hi

Can you try updating to Mari 1.4v3? We've optimized it a fair bit since 1.2

Mari does perform a large amount of processing in the background on multiple cores to optimize your textures. It is how it is able to quickly display and edit many GB of textures.
Thanks

Jack

I will check it!
My plan to paint with 8k textures.
I have i7-2600k + gtx 560Ti + 8 gb ram

forelle
05-05-2012, 12:08 PM
I will check it!
My plan to paint with 8k textures.
I have i7-2600k + gtx 560Ti + 8 gb ram

That machine should be great! Can you let me know how you get on?

Thanks

artofillusionist
05-06-2012, 07:29 PM
I see in Mudbox I can paint only with max. 4k size.

I need 8k size,
in Mari it is possible to paint projection stencil?

evakristjans
05-06-2012, 07:38 PM
in Mari it is possible to paint projection stencil?
Yeah, that's not a problem. You just select the Paint Through tool, go to your image manager and import the image/stencil you want to use. Drag the imported image from the Image Manager to your viewport and the image should appear, position as you like and then start painting it on the model with the Paint Through tool.

artofillusionist
05-06-2012, 08:43 PM
Yeah, that's not a problem. You just select the Paint Through tool, go to your image manager and import the image/stencil you want to use. Drag the imported image from the Image Manager to your viewport and the image should appear, position as you like and then start painting it on the model with the Paint Through tool.

I found this way, now I see..

In Mudbox I found how can paint in 8k size. In new layer I can paint only 4k size, but if I paint the original layer kept the 8k size (only in Mudbox 2012, in Mudbox 2013 do not kept the 8k size).
(maybe this depend for the gpu ram, for 8k layer size 1,5 gb or high ram needed)

After I will check Bodypaint too, and I will decide what program is the best for me.

ganz
05-07-2012, 12:09 PM
a bit off topic, but isn't mari a little overpriced? what else does it do other than painting texture on 3d model? something around $500-$700 is more acceptable IMHO

it seems all the products from The foundry are quite expensive, of course, if the company's doing fine with that price range, good for them, it's just not so friendly for personal/small business use. I'd like to try those fancy tools, but by looking at the price, it turns me off straight away.

philnolan3d
05-09-2012, 12:45 AM
3D-Coat is clearly the best option, especially considering price. Real time displacement, real time normal map painting, it's the original consumer Ptex program, full Photoshop support including layers, blending modes, and an app link. Painting directly on the sculpture is also not only supported but even faster than painting on the a UV texture. Of course it's arguably got the best retopology and UV tools on the market and some of the best sculpting tools as well, all for under $350.

mister3d
05-09-2012, 01:08 AM
3D-Coat is clearly the best option.
Well, I maybe wouldn't claim it so strictly, especially if I would work for them.

philnolan3d
05-09-2012, 02:15 AM
Well, I maybe wouldn't claim it so strictly, especially if I would work for them.

You would work for who?

refract
05-09-2012, 04:12 AM
Is there a way to change Mari's navigation in the viewport to Maya's?

forelle
05-09-2012, 08:03 AM
Is there a way to change Mari's navigation in the viewport to Maya's?

Sure, we added this option in 1.4v3. If you go to preferences there is a navigation tab that allows you to customize various options and there is a preset for Maya ( and Houdini,Max and others)

artofillusionist
05-09-2012, 08:25 AM
Is it possible to import in Mari a non-square resolutions image as stencil?

vlad74
05-09-2012, 08:54 AM
I had looked at 3d Coat before and checked it out again. Looks really promising. It is been used in big production. And if no - why?
I would Ike to try Mari but I need to upgrade my machine - it is 32 bit and quite old.

forelle
05-09-2012, 09:04 AM
Is it possible to import in Mari a non-square resolutions image as stencil?

Yes, you should be able to open non-square textures in the image manager. Do you mean as a brush tip or a paint-through stencil.

forelle
05-09-2012, 09:07 AM
3D-Coat is clearly the best option

I feel that 3D-Coat and Mari address different needs and market segments. There are things you can do in Mari than cannot be done in 3D-Coat and vice versa.

SreckoM
05-09-2012, 09:14 AM
a bit off topic, but isn't mari a little overpriced? what else does it do other than painting texture on 3d model? something around $500-$700 is more acceptable IMHO

it seems all the products from The foundry are quite expensive, of course, if the company's doing fine with that price range, good for them, it's just not so friendly for personal/small business use. I'd like to try those fancy tools, but by looking at the price, it turns me off straight away.

Definitely, this is big stopper for me too. Unfortunately price is just way too high for personal/small business use.

vlad74
05-09-2012, 09:17 AM
I feel that 3D-Coat and Mari address different needs and market segments. There are things you can do in Mari than cannot be done in 3D-Coat and vice versa.

What do you mean Jack. What is that Mari can do and 3d Coat cant and vice versa?

forelle
05-09-2012, 09:39 AM
What do you mean Jack. What is that Mari can do and 3d Coat cant and vice versa?

Mari is focused on digital painting for VFX and CG. It doesn't have sculpting, voxels re-topology, or the UV-Layout tools that I understand are in 3D-Coat. I'm sure there are many more features in 3D-Coat that Mari doesn't cover.

Mari has support for industry standard colour management, large texture support (16k^2 and above), Python scripting for pipeline integration, a robust solved camera workflow, a brush engine that doesn't slow down with large radius brushes, animated geometry, cameras and textures, support for matte painting and can scale to datasets orders of magnitude larger than other packages.

It isn't unusual for our users to regularly edit and manage datasets well over 40Gb of textures and I've seen >200Gb in the wild.

Mari is also, by all accounts, a really nice way to paint textures if you have a lot of high quality textures to paint.

vlad74
05-09-2012, 09:59 AM
Thanks Jack. Really helpful explanation. Basically Mari is high end texturing tool. Will try it for sure as I am texture artist as well.Will need to upgrade my machine first.
Mari is focused on digital painting for VFX and CG. It doesn't have sculpting, voxels re-topology, or the UV-Layout tools that I understand are in 3D-Coat. I'm sure there are many more features in 3D-Coat that Mari doesn't cover.

Mari has support for industry standard colour management, large texture support (16k^2 and above), Python scripting for pipeline integration, a robust solved camera workflow, a brush engine that doesn't slow down with large radius brushes, animated geometry, cameras and textures, support for matte painting and can scale to datasets orders of magnitude larger than other packages.

It isn't unusual for our users to regularly edit and manage datasets well over 40Gb of textures and I've seen >200Gb in the wild.

Mari is also, by all accounts, a really nice way to paint textures if you have a lot of high quality textures to paint.

forelle
05-09-2012, 11:44 AM
Thanks Jack. Really helpful explanation. Basically Mari is high end texturing tool. Will try it for sure as I am texture artist as well.Will need to upgrade my machine first.

Great. Glad to help. Please let me know how you get on or if you have an questions.

philnolan3d
05-09-2012, 05:47 PM
I had looked at 3d Coat before and checked it out again. Looks really promising. It is been used in big production. And if no - why?
I would Ike to try Mari but I need to upgrade my machine - it is 32 bit and quite old.

Yes, it is. I have friends at several quite large studios, both game and film, who've told me they're using it there. Unfortunately I've always been asked not to say what studios because of autodesk's deals with the studios. I don't want to get my friends in any trouble.

BTW if you're painting directly on the model (not a UV texture image or Ptex) 3DC's brushes also do not slow down with brush size. I'm not sure what is meant by textures and matte painting (in this context) but those can be things 3DC does as well.

vlad74
05-10-2012, 08:44 PM
Thanks for the info Phil.

CGTalk Moderation
05-10-2012, 08:44 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.