PDA

View Full Version : Arnold Question

DSW
04-23-2012, 03:04 AM
I hope this isn't covered by any NDA with Solid Angle, but I'd like to know how Arnold compares to V-Ray in the render passes area. How easy is it to set up render passes? Can you easily separate out lights so that you can alter the lighting in a compositing program? I don't need any great details, just how well Arnold works in a compositing pipeline. Of course any details you can provide without compromising the NDA would be greatly helpful.

Thanks!

bravmm
04-23-2012, 08:14 AM
compositing/renderpasses wise, you can do the same with Arnold, as you can do with MR and V-Ray.

It's completely integrated, as with the other 3rd party renderers.

But if you seriously want to testdrive it as a studio, try contacting SolidAngle.

rob

ViCoX
04-23-2012, 11:16 AM
Yup, works the same. : )

DSW
04-23-2012, 07:16 PM
Excellent!

Thanks to you both.

I've contacted Solid Angle and will more than likely be joining the beta - just don't know when. I didn't want to get involved with Arnold if it wasn't as flexible as Vray - but since it is, it's a no-brainer.

The only other question I can think of is... Do you need a full version of Arnold for each rendernode?

Thanks Again!

CiaranM
04-27-2012, 01:31 AM
If you mean something like the LightSelect render element from Vray, I haven't seen anything like that in another off the shelf renderer, except maybe Maxwell.
On the other hand, Vray doesn't appear to have much concept of AOVs (with the emphasis on "Arbitrary") - I mean that as far as I can tell you're limited to what they provide as render elements. In SItoA, like MR, any data you can access in the render tree can be rendered into a custom channel.

DSW
04-27-2012, 04:27 AM
Thanks for the info.

Obviously I need to do more research. :)

Thanks Again!

thev
04-27-2012, 06:51 AM
On the other hand, Vray doesn't appear to have much concept of AOVs (with the emphasis on "Arbitrary") - I mean that as far as I can tell you're limited to what they provide as render elements.No, you are not. You can put whatever information you need in a custom render element even if there isn't a ready one for it.

Best regards,
Vlado

CiaranM
04-29-2012, 02:27 PM
No, you are not. You can put whatever information you need in a custom render element even if there isn't a ready one for it.
Hi. Are you referring to using the 'extra texture' render element? Yes, with this workflow you can add as many custom outputs as you like. Unfortunately, there are problems that make it not very useful for a lot of stuff. Like the other render elements, it's applied globally - so any texture applied there is rendered on every object in the pass. That's fine in principal, I guess with some multi-mattes, you can isolate the one object you're interested in. But worse, since this is applied as a pass shader, we can't access per-object attributes. For example, I might paint a weightmap on a mesh and wish to render that into a separate channel, but there's no way to access the weightmap property from the context of a pass shader. Another very common use of AOVs would be to spit out any of the myriad ICE attributes on a point cloud. Again, these attributes are not accessible from the context of a pass shader.
Sure, this could be seen as a design limitation of Softimage, but Vray is the only renderer I've used that implements secondary outputs this way, not the built in system.
I really hope that I'm wrong about how this system works, since I'm really liking the renderer otherwise, but I haven't seen any other suggested workflows in the documentation.

Cheers.

CGTalk Moderation
04-29-2012, 02:27 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.