PDA

View Full Version : Squares Final Fantasy games ?

sebek27
11-22-2003, 01:32 AM
what modeling software is used for Square's Final Fantasy Games ? is it MAx ?

Marri
11-22-2003, 12:28 PM
Not sure about the game but the movie Spirits within uses Maya

sebek27
11-22-2003, 01:37 PM
actually the movie, the modeling was done in Lightwave if i find the site i'll post it

sevenfingers
11-22-2003, 03:00 PM
Well they used to use Nworld... which later transformed in to Mirai, which I suppose they also used. What they're using now beats me, my guess is either they're sticking with Mirai or they're using Maya. The movie wasn't made with Lightwave.

sebek27
11-22-2003, 03:02 PM
i didn't say the whole movie was made in Lightwave, but the human models were modeled in Lightwave, i'll find the site and prove it to you

edit:

here you go:
http://www.stevengiesler.com/
LW modeling

Laa-Yosh
11-22-2003, 08:26 PM
And where exactly is it written at that site that he has used LW?

I can find absolutely no mention of it, and on the other hand it is common knowledge that Square has used Maya for the modeling. Ask Francisco Cortana or René Morell about it...

sebek27
11-22-2003, 09:26 PM
he is a LW artist ask anyone in the LW forum

Laa-Yosh
11-22-2003, 09:41 PM
Final Fantasy was made back in 1998-2000. Whatever he's using now, it does not matter - Square Pictures was a Maya only house.

sebek27
11-22-2003, 10:03 PM
the movie was finished in 2001, please research before you make comments :shrug: and he did these models for the movie and he did use LW; you will also find that pixar uses LW to model it's characters.. by the way your portfolio is great :applause:

sevenfingers
11-22-2003, 10:09 PM
Sebek, you seem to have a very strong opinion. Square was indeed a Maya house, and even if this guy for some reason used Lightwave in a Maya house... He surely wasn't the sole responsible for all characters.

All the artists have SGI Octanes on their desks (some have two!). That's the main platform for day-to-day work, which is done w/ Maya. Maya is the modeling and animation software, and the interface for setting up all the lighting. Some rendering is done w/ the Maya renderer (mostly effects shots, e.g. explosions), but the majority of the rendering is done w/ Pixar's RenderMan.
http://www.arstechnica.com/wankerdesk/01q3/ff-interview/ff-interview-1.html

Anyway, there's of course a possibility that this particular guy uses Lightwave for his modelling, because a studio is rarely limited to only one program, but to say that Lightwave was used to model all the characters in FF is wrong... though I'm sure they passed through a whole lot of software, commercial and proprietary.

sebek27
11-22-2003, 10:25 PM
maybe not all were in LW but i think some of them were done in LW.. if not i apologize but someone gave me this guys link and said he is a LW artist that worked on FF

Laa-Yosh
11-22-2003, 10:26 PM
Also keep in mind that Square used the same generic head model for all the characters in the movies. So even if the head was made in LW, it had to be modified in Maya later to keep the UV mapping and animation controls intact. AFAIK Steven Griesler mostly did texturing for the models, and maybe some of the individual faces (according to www.digitalsculptor.net).

Oh and thanks... update is coming for the page soon ;)

klingspor
11-22-2003, 10:49 PM
To get back on topic of the FF games, it seems that at least in FFX, Houdini was used (http://www.sidefx.com/products/profiles/final_fantasy/) a lot. Judging from that article it looks like Houdini was used mostly for its particle system in the awesome cut-scenes, but "modeling and character tools" are mentioned as well.

Perhaps they actually did some modeling in Houdini...?

actarusprocyon
11-23-2003, 02:57 AM
I'm pretty sure N-World/Mirai was used for FFVII.

http://www.izware.com/nworld/index.html

katon
11-23-2003, 06:41 AM
I am not exactly sure what they are using now, but i saw a thing for maya, and one of the square guy talked abotu how he liked maya and they use it, and they showed squall from ff8 in maya, moving him around and stuff. From the sounds of the previous posts though, it looks like they use just abtou all of them, in some way or fasion. Peace

Katon

ambient-whisper
11-23-2003, 10:10 AM
houdini was used for particleFX stuff recently. ( ff10 and stuff ), there was an article on it over at the sidefx site a while ago.
also max was used on a few FF games but not for modelling as far as i know, but more for the afterburn plugin. not by square either. squaresoft had another company do a number of the scenes with smoke/clouds in max.

anyhoo, back to modelling.. no clue. :)

eYadNesS
11-23-2003, 12:07 PM
As I known all final fantasy game series (3D series) made by Maya, include animation, there is a gallery for this in Alias official website...

ambient-whisper
11-23-2003, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by eYadNesS
As I known all final fantasy game series (3D series) made by Maya, include animation, there is a gallery for this in Alias official website...

yes but the point we are making is that not ONLY maya is being used to maya final fantasy games.

sebek27
11-23-2003, 05:00 PM
well we know what Alias shows may have been done in other packages as they used R2D2 from Episode2 which was modeled in LW in their demo reel :surprised

makina323
11-23-2003, 05:42 PM
From what i understand. A single Final Fantasy game is not entirely made in house at Square. They usually farm out the cg cut scnes to different Cg houses.
So i suppose that all these houses use different software in their development pipeline. So what the whole point knowing wich software is used, Just as long as the cg looks good im good with it.

Eh...well, unless this is all one big pissing contest

visjes
11-24-2003, 01:52 AM
Hah. I really don't think it matters at all in what software the characters were modeled in, as the theory is always the same, and the character wires are in plain polygons.

http://www.digitalsculptor.net/mx/Thd_iso_wireframe_medium.jpg
http://www.digitalsculptor.net/mx/Jue_iso_wireframe_medium.jpg

Fact is Fancisco Cortina and Steven Giesler are modeling meccas, and that's the difference right there. I wouldn't be surprised if they're both fluent in a half dozen or more modeling suites / software packages from lightwave to maya to 3dsmax, houdini and more, and that square uses several different packages based on their strengths throughout the entire process.

Tan
11-24-2003, 03:00 AM
Why are you so bent on Lightwave, your ideology is clouding your judgement, just because you want to believe it's Lightwave doesn't mean it is, even if some dude at school tells you so. I can tell you that Giesler used Maya, a fact btw.

You know how I know?...

'cause he used an SGI.

Phoenix00
11-24-2003, 03:39 AM
Im pretty sure they use Maya, at least for FFX they did. When i bought my game it came with some DVD extras and they were discussing the models and Maya.

Solesurvivor
11-26-2003, 09:58 AM
and as for spirits within, they only made the vehicle models in LW, rest was maya

peanut
11-29-2003, 08:11 AM
They model in LW and render, animate in Maya ...

someone at work here had a chance to see their in house way of doing things

actarusprocyon
11-29-2003, 12:51 PM
You can't talk that generically as it's been pointed out i this very thread,that they don't only use Maya or LW...They use what will get the job done better for the needs.

From the Izware.com website;

N-World has been used to create many of the top selling game titles of recent years including Super Mario64™, Final Fantasy VII™, Gran Turismo Racing™, Medevil™ and Bomber Man64™.

peanut
12-03-2003, 07:54 AM
Still They model in LW and render, animate in Maya ...

Maya & lightwave can get the job done.

actarusprocyon
12-03-2003, 12:27 PM
You'd give'em(square) a copy of Wings3D and they'd get it done as good as with Maya or LW.

Don't forget that 99% of the work is done by you,whatever tool you use.

That said,I'm too old for arguing about my or your software,mainly because I'm not that fanatic about it.

Model on.

j3st3r
12-03-2003, 01:42 PM
Nice thread...As a LW user I would be glad, if any of FF (including the movie) would have been modelled in LW. I`m pretty sure only parts was done in LW. Square is Maya house, and most of the subcontractor comapnies to square was maya house also. Mr Cortina is alias user for a very long time. I think that some of the models might be modelled in LW, but some were also modelled in mirai, max, etc, etc. The spine of the pipeline was maya.

Alias has an interesting attitude towards their demo reel, that r2d2 scene is a good example. I`ve learned not to trust in alias reels, most of their work are visible in other packages demo reels as well.

ThirdEye
12-03-2003, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by actarusprocyon
Don't forget that 99% of the work is done by you,whatever tool you use.

I'd say 70%-30% is more realistic, otherwise we'd be all using Bryce ;)

robin
12-03-2003, 09:48 PM
Bryce was used in Shrek

ThirdEye
12-03-2003, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by robin
Bryce was used in Shrek

expect the unexpected...

ambient-whisper
12-04-2003, 12:34 AM
Bryce was used in Shrek

guess they had to, since 99% money for the movie went to voice actors first, and the rest for actual production.

katon
12-04-2003, 12:42 AM
Bryce was used in Shrek

What did they do with bryce in shrek. Obviosly landscapes, but i mean, did they ise it for just the base models and import it in something else or what. That is very funny to me that they used it. Wow. Peace

Katon

actarusprocyon
12-04-2003, 12:04 PM
ThirdEye:That wasn't my point but you're right,70% is more like it.

That said,I'm surprised Softimage has never been used for FF.

grootvriend
12-04-2003, 03:06 PM
Okay I don't have time to read the whole thread so If it's already told, oops sorry. Square uses for both the final fantasy games and the movie more then one app. They use softimage, lightwave and houdiny. But that's not all. Most of the software they use, are made by square self.

klingspor
12-04-2003, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by grootvriend
Okay I don't have time to read the whole thread so If it's already told, oops sorry. Square uses for both the final fantasy games and the movie more then one app. They use softimage, lightwave and houdiny. But that's not all. Most of the software they use, are made by square self. Would you be so kind as to enlighten us from where you have this information? I don't think I've ever heard (from a credible source) that Square used Softimage.
I had a look at the Artbook "The making of Final Fantasy", and although I couldn't find any software mentioned by name, the screenshots are clearly recognizable as Maya. Which isn't that surprising, as the movie was rendered using RenderMan. You can read all about the rendering process in Siggraph papers - which btw also include some screenshots linking Square to Maya.

ThirdEye
12-04-2003, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by stefanminning
I had a look at the Artbook "The making of Final Fantasy"...

Since i don't have that book... Can you tell me how interesting it is? I thought to buy it but never did since i didn't know anything about it, can you enlighten me please? :)

klingspor
12-05-2003, 08:25 AM
@ThirdEye: I found the book to be quite interesting! It has sections about the concept art, characters, environments, models, compositing and some storyboards. Maybe some others, I don't have the book here at the moment.
The artwork is excellent, as was to be expected. However I missed technical details, of which there are basically none. So if you're looking for technical insights, look elsewhere - if you're just interested in the art and the pretty pictures, don't miss this book! All in all I'd give it a 4 out of 5...

PhilOsirus
12-05-2003, 11:54 PM
The only time I heard Squaresoft mention Lightwave was in the credits of the Chrono Cross game. Apart from then I always heard them speficily mention Maya and in-house made tools.

InAction
12-11-2003, 11:32 AM
What I now it's Softimage|XSI. Check this URL and it will tell by itself. http://www.softimage.com/products/xsi/v3/games/
Check on the right part of the side and it will be shown that Square-Enix had used XSI for the 3D-series.

SangHanArt
12-11-2003, 07:13 PM
I'm sure they use alot of programs for their specific advantages. You can aslo see that Onimusha is listed on that site, but I have a japanese production book for that game, and they used Lightwave, Maya, 3D Studio and Softimage. I heard that alot of studios in Japan love Lightwave for modeling. Every package has its advantage, and if you wanna be the best, you gotta take advantage of all of it.....i think.

katon
01-05-2004, 10:21 PM
http://ps2.ign.com/articles/448/448918p1.html

check that out guys, it does not talk about what they used, but they interview guys and talk about the games. It is very cool.

Peace

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.