PDA

View Full Version : Monk of Telrena - questions

amscime
04-21-2012, 12:22 AM
Hey guys! I'll be honest, this piece is already finished. My problem is that I have submitted it twice to the 2D gallery and both times it has been denied. The reasons are too vague for me to figure out why, they suggest going here. This was all painted in Photoshop, no Photos or 3D used in it. Some photos I used for reference that's all but nothing in the actual illustration. I would just like your guys opinion of what you think may be causing CGSociety to deny it.?Also here is the description I've used for it "This piece was inspired by some of the recent news about Blade Runner II. I wanted to do a key frame or concept still that could be used in the film. I kept it dark and added some Iconic Blade Runner images like the lights in the background and the screen. Also tried to keep a bit of that rainy look on the walls and in the lighting. It was all painted in the Photoshop 6 beta, no 3D. Thanks!"

http://features.cgsociety.org/newgallerycrits/g01/376601/376601_1334849210_large.jpg

You can check the higher-res version in my gallery. Thanks for the help!

mdmodeler
04-21-2012, 05:51 PM
I can't find anything wrong with this image. I think it's beautiful and haunting. Maybe Lunatique will offer some advice. He's been pretty helpful to others that have had images rejected.
I think this is great work.

BillyWJ
04-21-2012, 05:59 PM
I've given up trying to figure out what the standards are. Put it in your portfolio, and move on, is my best advice.

amscime
04-21-2012, 06:28 PM
It's strange, I just wonder is there key words to not put in the description that may through them off. Do they feel I wasn't honest and may have used 3D or photos? It just kind of sucks that they leave it a mystery.

amscime
04-23-2012, 03:37 AM
Ok I think I may know what the problem is. My original post said ". I kept it dark and added some Iconic Blade Runner images like the lights in the background and the screen" They probably took that as those are actually photos? I'm going to tweak that to elements and resubmit. Thanks for some help guys!

rownd
04-23-2012, 02:37 PM
Wow, you would think this one would of made it. I just was up there and yours is a lot better then some of the ones I saw. I mean really, that Stahlberg? (kidding)... but the two dogs?

On this one the face looks a little cut out. Not so much by the cheeks but more by the top of the head. I think feathering of some shadow is needed. Other then that maybe the lighting in general?

amscime
04-23-2012, 08:23 PM
Thanks rownd. I just tried another submission with a different description stating that no photography or 3D was used in the image and still declined for 3rd time. I understand it has some technical issues but not enough for it to be declined. This is very upsetting, especially because it's the same mass email with unspecific reasons why it isn't excepted. This will now be my 4th illustration in a row that has not been excepted

Lunatique
04-24-2012, 07:50 AM
I saw this image both times in the judging panel, and I voted for it both times, but somehow other judges kept wanting to reject this image. I'm not sure if it's due to technical issues of description like you said, or if they just simply don't find this image interesting creatively (despite the artistic and technical elements). I'll see if I can get some answers as to why they keep rejecting this. (No promises though. I'm doing this out of my own curiosity. I don't want to start a precedent here where then every rejected artist will come to me and demanding an explanation why their work was rejected.)

amscime
04-24-2012, 03:03 PM
Lunatique really thank you. I don't like to nag and complain but for this it's bothering me. I know it's not a perfect image and It's not like I'm saying "How dare they!" It's just that I see other images in the 2D category that I feel are more underdeveloped then this but yet are still excepted. And I don't want to bad mouth anybody's work, this is a nice piece "Be my demon, Estefanía de Castro (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=133&t=1045575)" but it's a scanned in water color, not digital, and still excepted. If it's the description I can easily change it. If they don't believe it's all 2D and uses photography and 3D elements I have a making of video on this that shows it's painted. And I totally understand that you don't want all rejected images to be posted with an explanation why. Again thank you for taking some time to check this out.

CGTalk Moderation
04-24-2012, 03:03 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.