PDA

View Full Version : Adobe drops LiveMotion

kilikili
11-21-2003, 09:50 PM
'The End' of an Adobe product: LiveMotion

More>>> (http://www.adobe.com/products/livemotion/main.html)

-Kilikili

xzevlin
11-22-2003, 12:06 AM
I went to see how much the upgrade from 1 to 2 was yesterday, and saw that message. It's very dissapointing, but I can still get by using 1.0

I tried using Flash MX the other day, and I still get confused by the workflow. Livemotion had a nice workflow, probably because it was so similar to After Effects. With Corel R.A.V.E. so cheap, I may have to give it a try, though I doubt it can compete with either of them.

moovieboy
11-22-2003, 01:05 AM
Man, Adobe is really surprising me this year with all the trimming of software, strange new names like "XXXXXXX CS," product activation schemes and pissing all over their loyal Mac supporters with all these XP-only apps.

Makes me scratch my head and wonder "what's next?" :rolleyes:

-Tom

gabe28
11-22-2003, 05:23 AM
I think the reason they're discontinuing it is simply because they never managed to take much of Flash's marketshare. As a user of Flash I have to say that it's a very well developed and mature tool. Flash is to Macromedia what Photoshop is to Adobe. Adobe would be hard pressed to come up with a compelling enough solution to get people to switch. I must admit that I've never tried LiveMotion though, so I guess it could be better than I'm guessing.

gmask
11-22-2003, 05:30 AM
Ugh.. livemotion was allways disapointment.. they should just build more flash support into AE

richcz3
11-22-2003, 06:14 PM
Unfortunately a program like Live Motion would always be two steps behind the Flash curve. Macromedias market is Web based and all Adobe could do was follow their lead. The only people I know who used Live Motion were After Effects users.

I think Adobe is on the right track though. Focus on their key market programs. I upgraded my Premiere 6.5 to Premiere Pro for $200. It's completely re-written from the ground up. Where as a company like Macromedia are heading down the wrong track. Reams its users for for buggy expensive featureless upgrades. The MX 2004 upgrade cost was almost equal to the suite price a year ago. :scream:

There is now competition between Apple and Adobe. I wonder how long After Effects will be ported over to the Mac with jobs acqusition of Shake. Mr. Jobs has played his cards to agressively enter the software realm. Should Jobs buy a Photo editing app and Apple-ize it, one could expect Adobe to stop making Photoshop for Macs.

richcz3

gmask
11-22-2003, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by richcz3
Unfortunately a program like Live Motion would always be two steps behind the Flash curve. Macromedias market is Web based and all Adobe could do was follow their lead. The only people I know who used Live Motion were After Effects users.

That's certainly true and when I first heard about the program I was excited about it because I really didn't care to learn flash. Although the last time I tried a demo of Livemotion it seemed to have gotten away from being After effects like.

beaker
11-22-2003, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by richcz3
There is now competition between Apple and Adobe. I wonder how long After Effects will be ported over to the Mac with jobs acqusition of Shake. Mr. Jobs has played his cards to agressively enter the software realm. Should Jobs buy a Photo editing app and Apple-ize it, one could expect Adobe to stop making Photoshop for Macs.

richcz3
Yea, but premiere only had a 10% market share on mac when they started rewritting the software, so their choice to not rewrite the mac version is not that surprising. You know cut your losses while your allready behind. AE and Photoshop has a 50% market share(I believe AE's is even higher than that). They can't get out of either of those markets without some major profit losses. They care much more about money than anything else. I doubt they are going to put out 50,000+ paying users just in spite of Jobs.

gmask
11-22-2003, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by beaker
AE and Photoshop has a 50% market share(I believe AE's is even higher than that).

What is the competition for Photoshop? it mu t be a mixture of other programs like Paitner, corel draw etc..

beaker
11-22-2003, 09:05 PM
Sorry, I meant 50% of their sales are on mac.

igorstshirts
11-22-2003, 11:25 PM
I think it's only a matter of time before Adobe is PC only. Flash MX is probably a far superior product.

gmask
11-22-2003, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by igorstshirts
I think it's only a matter of time before Adobe is PC only. Flash MX is probably a far superior product.

I seriously doubt Adobe will ever become PC only..

as for flash well it's never had any real competition.. which is too bad because the result is a software that is hard to use.

halo
11-22-2003, 11:46 PM
it would have to be a different world for adobe to drop the mac....whilst PC's are prevailent in a lot of industries they are in the severe minority in the DTP derived markets. Go to a design agency and see :)

gmask
11-22-2003, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by halo
it would have to be a different world for adobe to drop the mac....whilst PC's are prevailent in a lot of industries they are in the severe minority in the DTP derived markets. Go to a design agency and see :)

Totally.. it simply wouldn't make sense...

igorstshirts
11-22-2003, 11:49 PM
It might not be by choice.;)

gmask
11-22-2003, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by igorstshirts
It might not be by choice.;)

I hate to have to ask but what does that mean? wink wink??

halo
11-23-2003, 01:31 AM
at the end of the day adobe is a commercial venture, they're not going to knock out a significant proportion of their market.

gmask
11-23-2003, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by halo
at the end of the day adobe is a commercial venture, they're not going to knock out a significant proportion of their market.

The only plausible explaination that I can think of is that Apple has not joined the Fritz chip DMCA BSA whatever that Adobe is on and if Adobe plans to go that route and Apple is not going to support it then maybe the would stop supporting the Mac.. but that's a big maybe.. I don't know what the current status of these issues are.

halo
11-23-2003, 11:27 AM
from the agressive marketing adobe have done with indesign against quark i'd say they are still interested. The thing is even if there was a major fundemental reason for adobe to stop making apps for mac, the mac users arent going to throw the apps and machines away, relearn a new OS etc etc, they will just continue to use what they have...and then some accountant will look at the figures and ask why they aren't tapping into this waiting market.

Relationships between adobe and apple have been strained over OSX and apples recent aquisitions, but unless their is a significant drop in the market then i would expect status quo. Adobe have picked up their development act a little now, but one does wonder what a true competitor to PS would do for development :)

HamsaPaksham
11-23-2003, 09:17 PM
Flash MX 2004 itīs the worst upgrade ever of Flash.
Livemotion was easy to use, and it was an alternative for those who didnt like Flash. Macromedia targeted only to developers in this release, and they completely forgot the designers.

And Adobe.

After Effects has some awsome features, but the interface is terrible , the workflow is even worse and itīs very buggy. And with the current competition like Combustion and Mirage, I think many people will switch.

Photoshop Cs was only a cosmetic release, they did not add killer features.

Yesterday I was testing Psycologicīs ZBrush, man that is an awesome aplication. Iīve never seen something like that in years. And Corel Painter surprised me. Itīs an awesome tool for the artist.

gmask
11-23-2003, 09:25 PM
>>>After Effects has some awsome features, but the interface is terrible , the workflow is even worse and itīs very buggy.

How so? My only complaint about the interface is the fcurve editor. What are yours?

BTW if you are using out of date plugins with AE many of them are the source of crashes rather than the application.

>>Photoshop Cs was only a cosmetic release, they did not add killer features.

The added direct support for 16bit Cineon files.. for me this is a killer feature!!

halo
11-23-2003, 11:37 PM
Photoshop Cs was only a cosmetic release, they did not add killer features.

well wether it has anything to do with apple mac being supported or not, but i'd say PS is the least cosmetic upgrade since v4.

heres a few new bits you may have missed

Match Color command
Achieve a consistent look between package shots, fashion photos, and more by instantly matching the color scheme of one image to another.

Shadow/Highlight correction
Quickly improve the contrast of over- or underexposed areas of an image while preserving the overall balance of the photo using Shadow/Highlight correction.

Text on a path
Create eye-catching typography by placing text on paths or within shapes. Edit the text at any time, even in Adobe IllustratorŪ software.

Integrated digital camera raw file support
Get truer, higher quality output by working with the complete raw data files from most major digital camera models.

Comprehensive 16-bit support
Perform more precise editing and retouching with expanded support for 16-bit images in core features, including layers, brushes, text, shapes, and more.

Customizable keyboard shortcuts
Customize, save, and print a summary of your ideal set of keyboard shortcuts, so the functions you use most are always at your fingertips.

Multiple simultaneous filters

Lens Blur/Depth of field filter

Auto crop and straighten images

Panorama tool

Ability to create different designs within one file

Large working area support

Nested layer sets

Non square pixel support

Layer to file export

Export layers to flash.

Theres proably a few i've missed in there....but its hardly a makeover.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.