PDA

View Full Version : Former NewTek Evangelist Kiki Stockhammer

scifi_guy
11-21-2003, 10:36 PM
Thought some of you might like to know that former NewTek & Play technology evangelist Kiki Stockhammer is part of a sci-fi rock band called Warp 11. They play original rock music with hella funny Trek lyrics, and are appearing in Paramount Pictures "Trekkies 2" movie out next summer. Warp 11 is making their Los Angeles-area debut this Sunday, Nov. 23 at Knitting Factory in Hollywood at 8pm. http://www.warp11.com

Howzat
11-22-2003, 01:32 AM
So is this proton's future after he has finished evangelising?? :)

Good luck to them on their debut in Los Angeles :thumbsup:

gmask
11-22-2003, 01:33 AM
I see.. theirs goes up to eleven ..eh?

HowardM
11-22-2003, 01:47 AM
thats too funny!
She never knew the Toaster would launch her to stardom!
:)
haha theyre actually pretty cool! I bet theyll make it big.
Says she sings, but I cant find a song where she does?!

Thank god Wil Wheatons not in it! ;)

scifi_guy
11-22-2003, 01:56 AM
Kiki joined the band during the "Red Alert" recording sessions. On this album, she sings background vocals on "Everything I Do", "Suds Me Up Sulu", "Red Alert" and "Yeah Brother". Since then, the band has written new songs which they will be performing live on Sunday in Los Angeles, in which Kiki sings lead vocals. Kiki also wrote and sings lead on a new rockin' bluesy song called "Electric Man" (you guessed it - about Data). And of course, she has her own verse now in "And That's Why I'm In A Star Trek Band".

Steve Warner
11-22-2003, 02:12 AM
OMG!!! :eek: They have an album called "Suck My Spock."

http://www.warp11.com/MusicImages/suckMySpock_cover.jpg

ROTFLMAO!!!

KillMe
11-22-2003, 02:50 AM
Originally posted by Steve Warner
OMG!!! :eek: They have an album called "Suck My Spock."

http://www.warp11.com/MusicImages/suckMySpock_cover.jpg

ROTFLMAO!!!

LOL :applause: :buttrock:

AndrewE
11-22-2003, 05:06 AM
That's amazing!

I want to go out and buy that CD right now!

E_Moelzer
11-22-2003, 05:14 AM
Sorry Proton, but Kiki certainly had one huge advantage over you:
She looks damn hot in those fishnets!!!
;)

CU
Elmar

Nemoid
11-22-2003, 03:54 PM
:drool:wow! now i realize why Lw has a so huge userbase!! :scream:

title of the album and the cover is so fun!!!

thorn3d
11-22-2003, 07:08 PM
I wonder if she's lipsyncing the words like she used to fake the equipment presentations for Play...

And trust me, she doesn't look too hot up-close and in-person. She was good at pulling a sharon stone from the stage, though.

thorn

gmask
11-22-2003, 07:45 PM
>>>She was good at pulling a sharon stone from the stage, though.

What's "Pulling a Sharon Stone"?

thorn3d
11-23-2003, 04:16 AM
Kiki was quite fond of wearing the shortest skirt possible, then sitting on a stool/director's chair placed on a raised stage while she ran through her performance.

I'll leave the resulting view to your imagination.

thorn

gmask
11-23-2003, 04:20 AM
Originally posted by neverwake
Kiki was quite fond of wearing the shortest skirt possible, then sitting on a stool/director's chair placed on a raised stage while she ran through her performance.

I'll leave the resulting view to your imagination.

thorn

Ah okay I know what you are talking about :eek:

The questions is was she wearing anything else? :blush:

scifi_guy
11-23-2003, 07:02 AM
I wonder if she's lipsyncing the words like she used to fake the equipment presentations for Play...

And trust me, she doesn't look too hot up-close and in-person. She was good at pulling a sharon stone from the stage, though.

thorn

neverwake - Why this mean-spirited public post? Kiki is one of the nicest, kindest people I've ever met, and your rude attack on her just reveals your own darkness.

Kiki never "faked" a demo ever, at NewTek or Play - I was there.

Do you get off tearing people down or something? Do you think saying she faked her demos, was not attractive, and really only good because you saw up her skirt is a nice thing to say? How would you like someone talking like this about you, or your friends?

leigh
11-23-2003, 07:08 AM
neverwake - I'm not sure what you're trying to do, but if your purpose here is to insult and humiliate this person, let me inform you that comments and insinuations of that nature are not welcome here.

thorn3d
11-23-2003, 05:18 PM
Dear Leigh - I'm not insulting or humiliating anyone, nor am I insinuating anything.

If you've ever gone to trade shows like Siggraph, E3, NAB you'll see various booths which have hired spokespeople (or people that just stand around handing out brochures). Many of these people are attractive women, and many are wearing skin-tight or highly revealing clothing. These people are called "Booth Babes".

Their purpose is to smile, say hello, and get the attention of all the male geeks walking around the hall. The pretty girl in the miniskirt says "hi", the geek stops and drools, and the spokesperson hands him a demo CD. (At E3, the geeks regular get their pic taken with the booth babe... weird.)

That's the way it works. The only difference was that Kiki ran demo presentations.

I used to demo 3D software at Siggraph, Macworld, NAB, etc from 1997-2001 and did several shows in which Kiki was the featured speaker for both ElectricImage and later Play. Kiki's dress habits and seating arrangements were a constant joke among those of us working the show. It was painfully obvious that the company was using her appearance to pull interest into the booth.

Furthermore, I don't see how my comments are humiliating anymore than the pics on the band's OWN SITE would be. Take a look for yourself. There's a pic of her cleavage, with "Warp 11" hovering over her breasts. The bass player is biting her skirt with his arm wrapped around her leg. The very image in this thread has a caption of "Suck My Spock". Who's doing the humilation here?

Finally, to Scifi_Guy:

Kiki never "faked" a demo ever, at NewTek or Play - I was there.

I was told by more than one source with firsthand knowledge that Play was banned ever returning to particular tradeshow, because during a presentation of a product - Kiki basically "lost sync" with the presentation and it became clear that she wasn't running the product through the features, but basically doing a "lipsync" in a computer sense.

However, I wasn't at that show and wasn't a witness to it myself. If it happened, it's a reflection on Play - not Kiki... she was just hired to be the spokesperson.

Either way it's of little consequence, as Play isn't exactly selling the Trinity anymore.

thorn

scifi_guy
11-23-2003, 07:53 PM
Dear Leigh - I'm not insulting or humiliating anyone, nor am I insinuating anything.

If you honestly didn't mean to personally attack Kiki, than I appreciate your clarification. You've got to admit though, that your earlier post sure reads that way. It says Kiki:

a) did not perform her own demos (this is not true)
b) is not attractive (a personal attack)
c) and is only good at "pulling a sharon stone" (referring to you looking up her skirt, a value judgement which is a personal attack)

Kiki ran all her own demos at both NewTek and Play. Your "sources" obviously have some other agenda. I personally worked there at both companies and was at practically every trade show.

And Play banned from returning to a tradeshow because of this? This doesn't make any sense. One of the unique cool things about Kiki was that she was not a hired gun, but instead a key member of the management team, involved in all aspects of marketing, and in the case of Play, one of the co-founders. She knew her products.

But regardless, plenty of other companies do run canned demos at trade shows - and why would the show management care either way?

Furthermore, I don't see how my comments are humiliating anymore than the pics on the band's OWN SITE would be.

Huh? Warp 11 is a humorous band, mixing sci-fi, sex and rock 'n roll. I assure you that everyone in the band and the Warp 11 fans get the joke, and none of them consider the band humiliating.

I'm having a hard time with your logic - because Kiki is sexy and silly, that gives you the right to be mean to her?

However, I wasn't at that show and wasn't a witness to it myself. If it happened, it's a reflection on Play - not Kiki... she was just hired to be the spokesperson.

As I mentioned above, Kiki was one of the founders and owners of Play.

Either way it's of little consequence, as Play isn't exactly selling the Trinity anymore.

Your post is of consequence to me, because it seemed like a personal attack on a friend of mine. Again, if this was not the intent, fine.

So, do you like sci-fi and rock 'n roll or what?

:)

Beamtracer
11-23-2003, 08:18 PM
"And trust me, she doesn't look too hot up-close and in-person."

"These people are called "Booth Babes"."

"I'm not insulting or humiliating anyone"
Neverwake, it's humiliating because you sum her up by her physical appearance and basically remark that this is the only reason why the company would hire her.

It's sad that some people make remarks about women like this.

thorn3d
11-23-2003, 10:00 PM
Hi Wanker,

When one chooses to use their physical appearance to help sell something, they ought not to be offended when someone points out what they are doing. If half-naked people run about a motion-capture booth throwing CD's around... hey, it's a free country. But if you choose to do so, I certainly have the right to comment on it.

-edit-

Now wait a freaking minute. Please explain something to me. Other posters led the discussion like this:

-Gmask made off-handed sexual comment about "Goes up to 11".
-Steve Warner was ROFLMAO at Kiki about to "suck" an action figure.
-KillMe found it funny too.
-E_Moelzer said "She looks damn hot in those fishnets!!!"
-And on the matter of the short skirt, Gmask asked "The questions is was she wearing anything else?" (I'm guessing she probably was. I wasn't ever looking.)

ALL of those comments were made, yet none of those posts were found to be demeaning nor humiliating. Yet somehow you've picked me out of the crowd and try to paint me as some kind of woman basher, which i am not.

You need to look at yourselves before trying to demonize me.

thorn

gmask
11-23-2003, 10:21 PM
>>-Gmask made off-handed sexual comment about "Goes up to 11".

Actually I was referring to the movie "Spinal Tap" although given the nature of that movie and this band .. it probably is a reference to the length of a phallus.

I'm not entirely sure but I think it was the comment "And trust me, she doesn't look too hot up-close and in-person."

Who cares what she looks like up-close and in person? Most celebrities don't exactly look like you might have in your head when you met them in person or when they don't have makeup on.
The whole booth bunny thing is well scripted.. I personally never take demos for granted as beign the total truth.. they are designed to make the software look good.

Being that this is the LW forum your other comments could be taken as an attack on LW itself and in this forum that would probably be a bad idea ..would it not?

Thsi band and Kiki seems to be all very tongue in cheek and that would be overly stating the obvious.. clearly there are strng sexual overtones so it is no surprise that kiki would flaunt it on stage.. it certainly hasn't hurt Sharon Stones career.

In a general sense I do not think the objectification of women shoudl be onbligatory as it often is but when women use it to acheive power then is it the men who think below the belt that are suckers or the women who take advantage of it.. I dunno.. that's probably too hot of a debate to start again here..

thorn3d
11-23-2003, 10:36 PM
Hi Gmask,

Thanks for being so even-handed and polite in your reponse. On the subject of "she isn't too hot" - i mean really, imagine you're in a bar with a friend. A girl walks by (or if you're a girl, it's a guy walking by.)

You said "Wow, they sure are hot."
I reply "Actually, they aren't that hot."

Have I insulted or humiliated anyone? Of course not. Maybe what I define as "hot" doesn't match your definition. I didn't say she is a dog, ugly, mortifying, or would make your eyes bleed. I just said I didn't think she was too hot. Some of you obviously do - you said so. Well, excuse me if I don't find Ms. Stockhammer to be hot. I'm sure she's a nice and kind person; nor have I said otherwise.

You're probably right that people are taking this as some attack on Lightwave. That's beyond silly, but you could be right... but trust me, my comments have nothing to do with Newtek or Lightwave.

thorn

gmask
11-23-2003, 11:06 PM
>>>Well, excuse me if I don't find Ms. Stockhammer to be hot. I'm sure she's a nice and kind person; nor have I said otherwise.

You have to admit that here there is high likelyhood that there are people here who might actually know her and take offense.

Prior to your comment on her looks there were only two post that made a comment about her being hot.

"Sorry Proton, but Kiki certainly had one huge advantage over you:She looks damn hot in those fishnets!!!"

In comparison to Proton in fishnests I can imagine this is very true.

"wow! now i realize why Lw has a so huge userbase!! "

Again just very tongue in cheek. No one is falling over themselves in homage to Kiki.

>>>You're probably right that people are taking this as some attack on Lightwave. That's beyond silly, but you could be right... but trust me, my comments have nothing to do with Newtek or Lightwave.

Initially no it didn't but then you went on about their practices at tradeshows etc.. and well you are in the hornets nest..

Many exhibitors have used sex to keep the attention of show conference goers.. a couple of years ago Bodypaint had some practically naked women covorting about and it was causing a traffic jam on the convention floor at siggraph. The surrounding booths complained and then next day they had more clothes on.

Kiki made a career out of it and became synonymous with Newtek and then Play.. I never used their products and have known who she was for years... So that says something I guess.

Since we are on the subject of rock stars.. men can be hideously ugly and still have groupies so given that she must be mind blowingly hot.. it's matter of taste .. I listened to one of the tracks and well if it weren't for all the goofy startrek references and tongue in cheek gags I probably wouldn't be interested as the music isn't my cup of tea.. given the opportunity to see them play live I'd probably give them a chance to entertain.. they seem like they are pretty entertaining live.

mokba
11-24-2003, 01:35 AM
Oops I must be at the wrong url. I thought this was a lightwave discussion forum. Don't you all have software to play with?

Dillon
11-24-2003, 02:49 AM
What would PROTON look like in fishnet stockings?

Ack! ACK!

*runs away*

E_Moelzer
11-24-2003, 03:09 AM
Ahem, I did not intend to insult anyone with my post.
It was meant as a joke towards Proton who I know quite well and who I really like (again no insult intended)
It was also meant like the thought Dillon just had:
Imagine Proton in those fishnets!
If this is in any way inappropriate or insulting, then I am sorry. it was not intentional in any way. I just wanted to throw a joke.
Maybe my humor is a bit to continental sometimes...
CU
Elmar

gmask
11-24-2003, 03:16 AM
>>>Maybe my humor is a bit to continental sometimes...

No not at all.. I totally got it.. it would be pretty funny to see a charicature of Proton wearing fishnets.. and maybe like doing one of those moves that Kiki did in the stock video wipes that came with the toaster or something.. it amazes me what I know about these products I never used..

I don't know Proton at all so you'd have to tell me if he was game for that...he seems good nature though..

leigh
11-24-2003, 03:48 AM
Hey guys, please try and keep this thread on topic.

wgreenlee1
11-24-2003, 03:55 AM
i cant imagine that being more fun than cg.....well maybe i can...lol

thorn3d
11-24-2003, 04:45 AM
I'm reluctant to continue replying at all, and letting the matter just die. But given scifi guy's even-handed followup, I'll bite the bullet in hopes of clarifying what I meant.

Originally posted by scifi_guy
If you honestly didn't mean to personally attack Kiki, than I appreciate your clarification.

It was not my intention to personally attack Kiki. It was meant in an off-handed humorous manner. I've never met her, nor do I have any agenda at causing her any personal injury.

You've got to admit though, that your earlier post sure reads that way. It says Kiki:

a) did not perform her own demos (this is not true)

I didn't mean that she wasn't actually doing the demo... yes, she was always sitting there running the machine through the paces.

It was more a matter of the demo presentation being set up in such a way that the presentation was not "live" in all areas that were implied to being done in real time, on the stage. I was told that at some point in a presentation, Kiki's actions didn't match the overhead screen and the audience realized that they were being conned. Again, I cannot comment on the exact event as I wasn't at this show.... but that was the extent of it.

b) is not attractive (a personal attack)

No, i said I didn't think she was "hot". I know a lot of women (and men) I don't consider "hot". I don't think my sister is hot. I don't think my neighbor is hot. Both are attractive people.

My definition of "hot" means over and above, mind-blowing, beyond reason, attractive such that you want to have physical interaction with them - and as soon as possible. Perhaps other people have different levels for defining "hot".

Damn, this is just getting strange when one has to justify why they don't find another person to be hot. As if we really don't have better things to do.

c) and is only good at "pulling a sharon stone" (referring to you looking up her skirt, a value judgement which is a personal attack)

a) I've never looked up her skirt, nor did I say I had. I was busy doing other things. However, others noted such a thing was possible if one so desired. High stage, high chair, short skirt... you do the math. ;)
b) Nor did I say that was all she was good at.

Please don't say that I've said things I did not, or try to infer things which I haven't implied.

Your "sources" obviously have some other agenda.

Perhaps they did... but that doesn't mean the demos weren't ever rigged. Again, I wasn't a witness to the "opps" demo, but i was told of it rather soon after it happened.... and given that I've no impact nor influence on the digital product world, I find it difficult to believe they just decided to pick up the phone, call me long distance, and make up a funny story about the Play demo. Play wasn't even a competitor to the people that told me.

But regardless, plenty of other companies do run canned demos at trade shows - and why would the show management care either way?

You would have to ask them.

I'm having a hard time with your logic - because Kiki is sexy and silly, that gives you the right to be mean to her?

Let me get this straight... it's ok for you to show her cleavage and use sexual innuendo in order to increase interest in your band, or for Play to use her "hotness factor" as a benefit in crowd demos. But it's not ok for me to point out that this is what you're doing. Have I got that right? :rolleyes:

So, do you like sci-fi and rock 'n roll or what?

I'm guessing it's one of the things I'd wind up checking out if i were in town for the week. ;)

thorn

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.