PDA

View Full Version : WIP_Sunflowers_study in form-light-color...first time post so please critique

UofM_Guy
11-21-2003, 08:50 PM
This is my first ever post. It is not done obviously but an experiment I did with my week off. This took 3 days to render on 4 ptm 4 2.0gz w 1gig ram. I used spider net render to acomplish. I have been useing lightwave for 1 year or so. I am not trying to recreate reality. If you want reality take a picture:) Mixture of impressionism and sculpture with a little theatrical lighting. this model is the low res version to save reder time.. about 2.5 million polygons. No 2 flowers are the same. Each was hand made right done to the pedels bent by hand( yes each one im nuts) the veins of the leaves acutally are modeled all the way through and connected as one whole model to allow for correct surfaces and sub-surface scattering. Final version will be high res model and atleast 11-17 inches at final render. This project was to show that what I do is truely art at its root level. I hope you like and If anyone wants files let me know. You have to view full res to really see the details.

Nick

full reselution @

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~nwatts/http://www-personal.umich.edu/~nwatts/

LittleFenris
11-21-2003, 09:47 PM
very nice image. 3 days to render! :eek:

Kvaalen
11-21-2003, 09:57 PM
Looks cool! but three days? :surprised
I suppose you are using radiosity? I'd try using a much faster radiosity (i.e: Backdrop only). :)

xtrm3d
11-21-2003, 10:20 PM
whhooaaoo..
look really cool..
3d day rto render on 4 machine..
hiiiirrggghjhh..
bu nowaday.. the result is cooll !!:applause:

UofM_Guy
11-21-2003, 10:35 PM
thank you for all the replies so far. I tried backdrop radiosity but i would lose quality that way and am in no hurry for jsut one frame. If it were an animation it would be different. I am also setting up 3-4 more secnes useing this setup that should be up whenever they finish rendering. thank you again.

carbon8
11-21-2003, 11:04 PM
I've got two words for you buddy!
Doctor Phil!

This is too cool! You actually modeled everything? Down to the sunflower seeds? Impressive. Really nice stuff.

Can we see a wire?
:thumbsup:

UofM_Guy
11-21-2003, 11:11 PM
wire

jbingman
11-21-2003, 11:23 PM
looks cool! but wow - 3 days? that's insane. what's your lighting and radiosity like? at first - I really got carried away with those until I really understood what they did. Now I'm usually getting away with a couple of point or area lights (I like the shadows better) and my radiosity depends on what detail I'm trying to get from my lights. Otherwise, it's all in my antialliasing.

wgreenlee1
11-21-2003, 11:27 PM
3days but the flowers are great,the board texture look a little low rez but very cool render:buttrock:

Wesball
11-22-2003, 01:30 AM
it is very good.

But I have to say... I think you could get the same result much more efficiently.

Finkster
11-22-2003, 06:35 AM
That's a really nice piece. I really like the colours you have there, the yellow flowers and rich blue shadows look well together. The petals are a little too sharp for my liking though. Also, parhaps make the wood suface a little less bumpy, I think there is too much self shadowing going on there.
I will share my surprise at the duration of the render, but then again, I've never done a 2.5 Mil poly, GI render:shrug: .
Lovely stuff.
Keep it up!

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.