PDA

View Full Version : ncloth keyframe to simulation

artcross
04-16-2012, 10:59 PM
I tried searching but couldn't find the right terminology so hopefully you'll understand what i'm trying to do. Is it possible to manually animate an ncloth object via keyframes, then when it gets to a certain frame, have the ncloth simulation take over? I want to animate a ball being kicked into a net, but i want to be able to control how the ball is kicked via keyframes, then have the interaction with the net done by ncloth. Let me know if that needs more clarification, thanks!

mandark1011
04-17-2012, 05:12 PM
yes rig your original geometry like you would any piece of rigged geometry...ie bones or a lattice or something. create cloth and turn input mesh attract to 1 (1.5) on your cloth shape. Animate the original piece of geo, then when you want the sim to take over keyframe input mesh attract to 0. If you want some of it to behave like its stuck and some to not then you need to make a texture that drives input mesh attract.

good luck

artcross
04-20-2012, 03:50 PM
thanks mandark! it works! however, is there any way to have the inertia from the keyframed movement carry through to the ncloth simulation? Right now when I key the input attract mesh down to 0, the object just drops instantly from the nucleus gravity instead of continuing in the direction it was moving and slowly dropping/losing speed.

mandark1011
04-20-2012, 04:59 PM
Im sure there is a way but right now my mind isnt working that great friday after a couple of really long weeks ive pretty much already checked out into weekend mode.

Is there a reason why your not using rigid bodies. they are not great in maya but for somethin g like this they will work easily. There are also a bunch of other open source solutions for this like bullet which is now part of maya. Try using a more traditional rigid approach maybe.

good luck

HowardM
04-20-2012, 05:00 PM
do a search here, its already been discussed... use a constraint and key it disabled when you want ncloth to take over.

mandark1011
04-20-2012, 10:59 PM
thats the right solution as always from HowardM, seems obvious now. cheers

CGTalk Moderation
04-20-2012, 10:59 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.