PDA

View Full Version : DAFT LEGACY - Tron Legacy tribute animation

anthonymcgrath
04-16-2012, 10:52 AM
hi all
been working on this on and off for the last year. It initially started out as a 10 second test animation but then in my usual fashion it ended up becoming something bigger.

Sound fx Design & Production by Tim Shepherd.
Music from Tron Legacy OST by Daft Punk available on Walt Disney Recordings

Youtube...
http://youtu.be/HQ8doo_6eGU

Vimeo...
http://vimeo.com/40441284

cgmodeler
04-18-2012, 04:03 PM
I'm a huge fan of TRON design specially the Simon's inspired vehicles...

Great work there, i have some suggestions regarding animation, specifically during the walk cycles, I think you can polish a bit there i think it's the passing position that your hips are going to fast in Y axis...

Loved the visuals, great work!

anthonymcgrath
04-18-2012, 06:04 PM
Thanks
Been on it for a year now outside of skydiving.. 2nd black belt for martial arts.. tinkering with a silly overpowered car.. and dealing with firstborn... oh yeah and full time job. not got time to tweak animation tbh.. Stunned i got it to this point! I could go on tweaking forever really but wanna work on something else which Im someway into modelling assets for. my main goal with the walk cycle was to try to put a bit of attitude into it but maybe its not reading too well. When i just had a blank walk cycle it felt really dead and automaton.

there Will always be better animators.. modellers.. rendering and lighting artists.. and compositors.. but not many ppl have the sheer stamina to see something this size from a series of shots typed up in a .txt document through to the end as a composited piece with full audio. I think for me the piece was more a test of seeing if i could complete it tbh.

It started as a ten second test but ended up becoming.more when i thought 'oo.. would like to try this and that heh!

Kept me hanging off the corner streets anyways :)

StayFrosty
04-21-2012, 10:11 AM
Well done for getting it finished. It looks great especially the transforming and effects bits, I kind of agree with the character animation comments but you're right about the sheer stamina needed to get these personal projects finished; it's impossible to have 100% ILM quality in every department.
:thumbsup:

MGC
04-21-2012, 11:13 AM
Dude..this is te best animation made by one man....awesome work, I enjoyed to the last second of your short animation. Congratulations

anthonymcgrath
04-21-2012, 08:43 PM
Thanks guys glad ppl are enjoying it!

AsaMovshovitz
04-22-2012, 08:50 AM
fantastic work, very very impressive and very well executed

Cheers,

Asa

anthonymcgrath
04-23-2012, 07:08 AM
Thanks Asa glad you enjoyed it

Aloke316
04-30-2012, 11:35 AM
simply GREAT!!! :applause:

anthonymcgrath
05-04-2012, 09:28 AM
@Aloke316

cheers mate :thumbsup:

Carm3D
05-07-2012, 06:48 PM
Loved this! Great work!

Thunderstruck2012
05-08-2012, 05:05 AM
That Looks Fantastic.

I have often thought of trying to attempt some Tron. But, ney me not good enough.

I am Impressed. Not what I expected. This is Too Sweet man, Awesome , Awesome.

Stuff I dream of being able to do.

Regards,

Randal R.

Debneyink
05-09-2012, 03:52 PM
Good work, nice homage, it reminds of this music promo i made back in 2008 (2 guys 4 weeks max and vray) before anyone was talking about tron legacy! as you can see i was still paying homage to the original but added a few twists of my own. Check out the bit at 2:54 maybe this concept made it in to tron legacy :curious:

http://vimeo.com/37303010

anthonymcgrath
05-30-2012, 10:55 PM
Hey everyone thanks for all the nice words. had dozens of emails asking me about it... making of... high res posters... supply all the maya data online (?!)... mostly ppl asking how to go about doing something like this.... short answer... its a doddle but it just takes time :)

@debneyink great work too! love it

fanger
05-31-2012, 12:25 PM
OMG! It ıs awesome! Walk cycles were a bıt off.....but overall! Fantastıc....Thank you!

anthonymcgrath
06-20-2012, 01:32 PM
OMG! It ıs awesome! Walk cycles were a bıt off.....but overall! Fantastıc....Thank you!

Cheers sir! :thumbsup:

beasleyfreddie
06-21-2012, 05:19 PM
I like this quite a lot, very nice rendition, and very accurate. I watched on vimeo, on youtube, it was blocked for copyright in USA whaat, it is tron, but still different enough, and custom enough to avoid the copyright darn youtube.

anthonymcgrath
06-21-2012, 05:25 PM
thankyou. I did do the piece without the audio but it just didn't have the power. The OST really does help it feel new age Tron Legacy. I couldn't bring myself to remove it - i'd rather it had limited views and stayed the way it is than select a Youtube 'soundalike' which would be some kind of hillbilly dubstep mixed with Jazz Flute and samples from 90's records like 'Aah Yeah!' or something :/

hopefully more and more ppl will see it over time.

beasleyfreddie
06-21-2012, 05:29 PM
vimeos great I love it, but I watch youtube alot so, you can always watch the view counter, and statistics of incoming traffic it's cool I got to see it over at vimeo.

anthonymcgrath
06-21-2012, 05:32 PM
thanks - I think i'll put a version up on youtube with no OST on it just so a few more ppl overseas can watch it. It is a shame and personally i think its a stupid rule.. I can send the youtube link to ppl in the uk and they can see it fine so what difference does it make if ppl overseas see it. Youtube is weird.
agree tho - traffic viewing and wotnot is handy - vimeo does the same tho :thumbsup:

PKosow
06-22-2012, 05:30 AM
Simply brilliant animation! Thanks for that... enjoyed it!

anthonymcgrath
07-13-2012, 09:53 PM
daft legacy animation (no music) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTCCqamaVyA&feature=youtube_gdata_player)

at request of heaps of ppl who couldn't view it in various countries i put up a version using just the sound fx.

CGTalk Moderation
07-13-2012, 09:53 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.