PDA

View Full Version : Operating Maya Without opening the UI?

mental
11-21-2003, 04:30 PM
heya mel folk,

another cgtalk member was experiencing trouble when opening a extremely dense mesh with maya. in short it would cause maya to stall indefinately.

then the wheels started turning in my head... since they always say that Maya's UI is just a series of mel scripts would it be possible to execute commands without ever opening the UI.

say for example if you already knew all of the commands needed to create a new scene, add a polysphere, subdivide and then save that scene. is there a way to operate Maya entirely through a shell or soley the script editor without opening Maya's UI?

thanks
-mental :surprised

GDC
11-21-2003, 05:08 PM
In a command prompt or in your shell (depending on your OS) type:

maya -prompt

--g

mental
11-21-2003, 05:22 PM
perfect!

thank you very much for your help GDC :)

that was exactly what i was looking for.

-mental :surprised

h0tice
11-25-2003, 02:08 AM
hi,

i find this method very useful, but when i am saving the file in the command prompt i got this error:

mel: SaveScene
Error: Cannot find procedure "FileMenu_SaveItem".

wht's the problem with this?

dwalden74
11-25-2003, 09:13 AM
well, there are probably a series of internal scripts that don't get sourced if you're just running Maya from the command prompt (ie, everything that doesn't have to do with UI - which is a lot).

For example, FileMenu_SaveItem is a procedure called from from the File menu itself, which obviously doesn't exist if your in prompt mode. So, the best bet is to save your file via the `file` MEL command instead.

:beer:
David

h0tice
11-25-2003, 09:50 AM
ok i got the idea, so using the maya -ormpt will enhance your mel command ability, and one of the advantage you can clean a big scene that is very long to open in maya GUI. that's cool, thanx for the insights.

Doogie
12-02-2003, 06:40 AM
Sorry, if this discussion is dead.

Instead of `SaveScene`, try using `file -s`

SaveScene has a window pop up, so it wouldnt work w/o a GUI.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.