PDA

View Full Version : PAINTER8:: Image Dimensions Max Limit??

DEVARSHY
11-21-2003, 04:29 PM
I hav e been facing a strange problem,

I work on huge sizes.... above and beyond 10,000 Pxels.
Whereas I have noticed that Photoshop has a max limit of 30,000 pixels Image size... when I start an artwork in photoshop which is bigger than 16000 pixels [one dimension] it does not open in Painter.
everytime I try opening a PSD file b igger than that size, It gives a strange error saying.... there is not enough disc space to open a new picture.

I have around 17 Gb empty space in drive C which painter uses to create its temp files.And My computer has enough configuration to work on huge files.
P4-512MbRAM-2.4GHz-80GB HDD.

Does anyone know what is the size limit of files in painter??
Is there anyway out of this problem??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.Thanks.

Jinbrown
11-21-2003, 09:02 PM
Hi,

I don't know of anything you can do about this as I've heard there's an image size limit of around 54 inches (at 300 ppi) in Painter.

Testing it today, I was able to get the image up to (it wouldn't take 16383 pixels):

16382 pixels at 300 ppi (or 54.607 inches at 300 ppi)

Just to show the range of inches, though you probably would not work at 72 ppi:

16382 pixels at 72 ppi (or 227.528 inches at 72 ppi)

For a confirmation that this is the case and to suggest changing the situation in Painter 9 (if that's possible), you might want to write to Corel Painter Program Manager Rick Champagne at:

rick.champagne@corel.com

In the meantime, you might be able to work smaller, then Resize upward in Photoshop for the final version.

Others have said they get good results using either Fred Miranda's Stair Interpoltion (SI) actions (not expensive) or Genuine Fractals (expensive).

Fred Miranda's Stair Interpolation (SI) actions can be found at:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/SI/index.html

On that page, you'll see his comparisons with other utilities used to resample images.

Good luck! :)

DEVARSHY
11-25-2003, 04:28 PM
hEY tHANKS JinBrown,
Yes I prefer to work at 300 ppi and in photoshop sometimes go upto 100 inches dimensions when I create my artwork.
Why I dont want to work on smaller sizes and then Enlarge them is because I then Print my art on Canvas, Paper and various media in the same size.I do not want to create small and then blow up when printing as I do not even want the slightest blur in my images.

thats why I start off with blank canvas in huge sizes.....I may not ever print in that big size....But Just in case ...

and I work basing my artwork on mathematics and calculations like The golden ratio etc....so I need to go biger.....besides I think painter should provide enough leverage for artists like me who want to work big.If not ....I consider it a shortcoming.

Anyway thanks a ton for the links and help.Ill see how I can work my way around this problem.Ill write to Rick Champagne as well. Thanks.
:wavey:

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.