PDA

View Full Version : Best 2D School for Master's Degree

Sandbox
04-14-2012, 04:26 AM
Hello!

I'm currently a senior in College - MA USA, graduating with a Bachelor's. I've been debating in the last few months, and decided to take the 2D route of animation.

I'm working on getting certified in French, with a goal of trying to get accepted into Gobelins' in France. In case that doesn't follow through, I would like other takes on where to go to get a Master's in 2D animation.

Another suggestion someone had mentioned to me was Vancouver Film School, which is also part of my interests, but I would like to research some more schools. Any suggestions/ideas?

Much appreciated!

taxguy
04-14-2012, 02:36 PM
I need a bit of more information about you. What is your background in animation? Did you major in it or some other subject? What is your background in 2d?

With the above said, most grad schools are NOT good places to get the basic skills learned. You need to have strong skills before you go to grad school. Undergrad programs are much MORE skill oriented. Some decent undergrad programs that have some good 2d training would be , in no particular order:

Calarts, RIT, Pratt, SVA, UCLA, USC, Laguna College of art and Design and Sheridan up in Canada.

The first five schools also have grad programs. RIT in particularly has a grad specialization in both 2d and 3d. Calarts, UCLA and USC are very 2d oriented , although they do have some training in the 3d area as well.

Hope this helps.

Sandbox
04-17-2012, 04:02 AM
Senior year in College. Majored in Media arts and animation. Specializing in both 2D and 3D animation.

I don't need to learn the basics, although I'm not against reviewing it either as technology and programs tend to differ depending on the area.

I learned to use Adobe Creative suite along with 3DS Max for 3D. At some point I would like to pick up TV Paint and see how that works.

I'm looking to go somewhere where I can freshen up on traditional 2D concepts, and build my skills up as I go in 2D animation - character animation or FX.

Thanks! I'll check out those schools you've mentioned!

taxguy
04-17-2012, 12:42 PM
Here is what I would recommend.

Since your major was in animation. I would recommend the following schools for graduate programs:

1. UCLA
2. USC
3.SVA, although it is heavily weighed towards computer art
4. RIT
5. Calarts for experimental if that interests you
6.Pratt, although Pratt is mostly 3d.
7. SCAD

Honestly, having strong 2d skills is nice but the industry is heading towards 3d. You should definitely take some 3d courses. I would also think that since you will be getting a terminal degree such as an MFA, you should be knowledgable in 3d too.

CGTalk Moderation
04-17-2012, 12:42 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.