PDA

View Full Version : An important question: 2D or 3D (Help if you can)

LylaDisarmed
04-13-2012, 07:51 PM
I feel this is the only proper place to post this question. I hope this is acceptable. ^.^
OMG...its a pretty long post, and its my first post.. >.< I'm so sorry, if you have the time to read this, than please do. Thank you greatly. (I'm so embarressed >.<)
----------------------------------------------------------

I join this forum with the hopes have having this one issue resolved for me by professionals who know this medium best. Please answer this question for me if you can, as it will likely redirect my next course of action and is thus extremely important. Any and all assistance is extremely apperciated.

--------------------------------
----------Iím not fully sure what I shoulduse with my project. 2D or 3D?---------------

I have a long term project that will likely take 8+ years tocomplete. Essentially itís an extremely long and large graphic novel series. Myvision of it is for it to be photorealistic in visual quality (but of courseeach aspect of it will be imagined.)The series will be in full and detailedcolor. I considered all means of producing it and settled on digitallycreating each image using Photoshop. However, recently my Ďconclusioní has beenblown to pieces with my investigation into 3D.

3D seems like it could reduce the production time of thisproject considerably not to mention it could offer a stable quality for myseries.

You see, if spend a lot of time creating each character inthe story in photorealistic 3D, and all the backgrounds photorealistically as well, then the entire graphic novel couldtechniqually be created in a matter of months by me simply posing thecharacters in the right environments with the right expressions ect. Whereas ifI drew the story myself, each image could potentially take me 30 hours of workto complete and quality and accuracy could vary from image to image based on myskill (which is still blossoming gradually at the moment. >.<) Whichleads to the production time being years longer than if I had done it all in3D.

Iím willing to dedicate years of work into this projectbecause it mean that much to me. But, I donít want to focus on skills that Idonít need, or shouldn't be using.

Iím just not sure of 3D potential for this project. I mean, itísa big switch. Iíve focused on learning the skills required for 2D art for a fewyears nowÖand Iím disappointed to find I might be working on the wrong skills.If 3D can do what I need it to, then it might be a superior platform, but I needa professionalís opinion on the matter.

For example:

1- Can 3D recreate photorealistic people? One of mypurposes in this novel is to trick peopleís eyes and minds into thinking thesepeople are real, as to further cause emersion into the world of the story. Ifthe models donít Ďfeelí real, or canít replicated realistic human expressionsthan I simply canít use 3D models. (Or maybe I could use 3D models, save jpg orpng images of the models on and edit the faces to look more realistic inPhotoshop. Might that work? It certainly could save time.) Iíve seen some veryrealistic looking models before, but generally ones with blank faces. Whichmakes me concern that subtly in the human face with 3D isnít possible.

2- Can 3D recreate photorealistic backgrounds? Likelandscapes, building interiors and such. Even if I canít completely utilize 3Dfor this project, I might be able to create 3D backgrounds which could save anenormous amount of time from picture to picture. Seeing as Iíll only need todraw the characters from that point.

3- Do you need to recreate an entirely different modelif you want the characters to change clothes, or are the Ďlayersí that allowyou to alter these things without recreating different models?

4- Knowing something about project, do you think 3Dcould offer me something, or am I overestimating the speed benefit? I knowmaking a detailed 3D model could probably take 50 hours or so right? But seeingas making one detailed 2D drawing could take 30, and one 3D model could bereused to make numerous images, wouldnít this save time? Or is my logic flawed?Is there something Iím missing?

5- Is there is any other advise you can give merelating to this project? Or what I should do? Thank you so much for your helpand input.

Thank you grealy for reading all of this, any and all support on this matter will help me tremendously. I'd like to narrow down my options at this point, instead of continouly expand them. However, if 3D could potentially increase the quality of my work and reduce the time it takes to create, than I can't ignore it as a resource. To me, quality is first, time is second, and difficulty is third. I know it might be hard, but if it improves the other two factors, its worth it.

Please and thank you. Thank you very much.

CGTalk Moderation
04-13-2012, 07:51 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.