PDA

View Full Version : Rigging a chair and want the casters/wheels to follow

rguimond
04-13-2012, 06:36 PM
Im rigging a chair with casters for an animation. (3D max)

Now, I could animate my chair and then hand animate the casters after Im done. However, I was curious if there is a way to create a system that allows me to move the chair on X or Y axis and rotate on X axis and have the casters follow the chair and change direction like they would naturally.

Ive messed with wire parameters and look at constraints briefly but Im not having very much luck. It seems like there would be a lot of math involved. Anyone have any suggestions or scripts?

Thanks

mrfred
04-13-2012, 08:24 PM
have you tried usint a float or script expression?

something like :
X axis = moving foward
Y axis = moving sideways
ypos= Y position track of the chair or master or whatever is driving the movement
if Ypos > 0 then rotate to face the right axis else 0

or

if pos > 0 then (
if Rotation < 90 degree /* we want them to stop at 90degree*/ then rotate else 0 )

or something like that...
you could also use look at to drive a target rather than rotating

good luck

rguimond
04-13-2012, 09:20 PM
Thanks man.. Im not very familiar with writing scripts or how to go about that. I do use constraints and wire parameters often though.. Thanks for your reply. I guess ill have to read up on scripting.

mrfred
04-13-2012, 09:44 PM
its not much about scripting but more about float expression or float script

mrfred
04-13-2012, 09:45 PM
search for a bank control on Ik feet tutorial should help you

CGTalk Moderation
04-13-2012, 09:45 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.